TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
snuffbox

College Basketball 06/07

Well, you should be happy cabbageboy. Louisville got the easiest draw imaginable. First they get their first two games in Lexington, the second one against a young and possible easily shaken TAMU squad. Then, they get an overrated Memphis or Nevada in the Sweet 16. I'd probably put them in the Elite 8, just based on their draw.

Teams I thought would get in (not personally, just based on history and pre-show jibber jabber):

Syracuse, definitely

Drexel

Teams I didn't think would get in:

Illinois

Arkansas

Drexel, Missouri State, and Air Force got the shaft by the committee.

Air Force lost their last four games and put themselves in a very vulnerable position. They had a spot locked up two weeks ago and gave it away.

Hmmmm, Billy Packer seemed to be in a much better mood this year since fewer mid-majors got in this year.

How the FUCK did Arkansas get in over Syracuse and Drexel?

They got to the SEC final. They had a solid 35 RPI and a SOS at 15 so I guess they were deserving enough. Both numbers ended up being better than the Cuse and the Drexel Dragons. There tournament run took them from dead in the water to into the NCAA tournament. That's how it goes.

Hmmmm, Billy Packer seemed to be in a much better mood this year since fewer mid-majors got in this year.

Looking at the chart they showed, though, there were fewer mid-majors last year than the year before, which was less than the year before that.

I just think there were so few potential mid-major at-large teams that conclusively showed they belonged in the tournament, that it shouldn't be surprising that not many of them got in.

Guest Queen Leelee

While I don't necessarily think Drexel should be in since they were the 4th best team in their conference, and not even close to the title... it's another case of the Mid-Major doing exactly what they're supposed to do in non-conference play, and they're left out.

I was thinking that we would get a 7 and play Creighton. Part of me wishes we would have got that, but getting a 5 is fine. I really, really wanted to play Texas if we got a 5 or 6. We owe them. Honestly, nobody can understand how bad I want to beat them.

My final four is Florida, Texas (if they beat us, if not it's gonna be Georgetown), UCLA and A&M.

The further the selection show went on, the more sure I was that two of TTech, OKST, and K-State wouldn't get in, and that Syracuse wasn't going to get in.

I'm going to say Florida, UCLA, Georgetown and Ohio State for the Final Four.

Hey cabbageboy, there's a possible UCLA/Pitt Sweet 16 matchup. I bet the two teams combined won't break 100.

Christ, between Nova likely playing Friday night and St. Patrick's day on Saturday, those two days are going to be a complete drunken shitshow for me.

Guest Queen Leelee

Games I like:

15 Weber State vs. 2 UCLA. Betting big on Weber to cover with UCLA's lack of a true PG, shoddy defense and Weber's filled with strong shooters.

4 Southern Illinois vs. 13 Holy Cross. SIU has the big athletic advantage here, and I don't think they'll be giving up many points. Also go with the over here, since I figure everyone seeing a 43-39 game. SIU will rout them.

11 VCU vs. 6 Duke. Duh pick for most here. Did you see how crazy VCU went when they saw this matchup. Duke's weakness at guard will really be exposed here too with Maynor. All you Dook haters are gonna love this one.

My upset specials are...

12 Long Beach State over 5 Tennessee. This will be the best first round game. A shootout, so to speak.

VCU over Dook

UNLV to the Sweet 16

11 Winthrop over 6 Notre Dame

14 Oral Roberts over Wazoo. Wazoo's starting to fall back to earth. They are going to get creamed.

It kills me to say this as a Michigan fan, but I just might have to go with Ohio State to win it all. I've definitely seen them play many times this season and they are that good. They pretty much dismantled Wisconsin today and look to be hitting their stride. I think the thing that ppl forget is that they have a buncha ppl back from a team that won the Big Ten last year. It's not just the Oden and Conley show. Lewis, Butler, Cook, and Harris can all shoot from the perimeter. Terwilliger and Hunter provide solid depth up front. For now I have Ohio State, G-Town, Kansas, and Florida in the Final Four with the Buckeyes ultimately beating out the Jayhawks. Also, my surprises are O.D. over Butler (maybe not that much of a shocker), Illinois over V.T., VCU over Duke, and both Albany and Creighton in the Sweet 16.

My Final Four is going to have Maryland, Kansas, Georgetown, and Texas A&M. This year I have no clue as to what I am doing with my picks.

Looking at the chart they showed, though, there were fewer mid-majors last year than the year before, which was less than the year before that.

I just think there were so few potential mid-major at-large teams that conclusively showed they belonged in the tournament, that it shouldn't be surprising that not many of them got in.

I think that the Conference USA teams that left to the Big East is what has caused the decline in the numbers

Louisville, Cincinnati, DePaul, Marquette are teams that usually made the tournament from Conference USA

Aww Dickie V only has Duke getting to the Sweet 16. Very brave of him.

I also love his logic that the West is the toughest region because it has the biggest name schools.

Oh lord, commence Boeheim whine-a-thon.

Whines about Nova getting in over them with their 10-6 vs. our 9-7, Nova also didn't get to play South Florida once and St. John's twice like they did. They played UConn, us and St. John's twice this year, we played them, Georgetown and Notre Dame twice. Says they played the 4th toughest Big East schedule when we played the toughest.

Yeah, it's funny to see the talking heads act all outraged about Syracuse and Drexel not getting in when neither one really belonged in the field in the first place. If anyone has reason to complain, it would be Missouri State or Clemson.

Aww Syracuse can't even get a #1 seed in the NIT.

East

#8 Delaware State at #1 West Virginia

#5 Alabama at #4 Massachusetts

#6 N.C. State at #3 Drexel

#7 Marist at #2 Oklahoma State

North

#8 Mississippi Valley State at #1 Mississippi State

#5 Providence at #4 Bradley

#6 Utah State at #3 Michigan

#7 Toledo at #2 Florida State

West

#8 Austin Peay at #1 Air Force