TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
snuffbox

College Basketball 06/07

Yeah, I did that before tonight's results. Butler should probably drop to a 5, but I have no idea who you'd replace them with. Oregon's win over Washington State's pretty huge and would probably move them up a couple seed lines, especially when recent performance was the main reason I had them as low as I did. I'd still have to put Clemson in the field for now, but the loss definitely hurt them and will probably drop them to an 11 seed.

Also, the main factor here is that these are not my predictions for what the seeds will be after the committee deliberates. It's where I feel the seeds should be and how I'd seed the teams if it was my personal responsibility to do so. I know Georgia Tech has no chance of being a 7 seed unless they make a huge late-season rush, and I know that Maryland's probably not a 4 seed right now either. I just think that's where they belong based on their resumes.

BTW, Winthrop's 24-4 on the season with the losses all coming on the road against the likes of North Carolina, Maryland, Wisconsin, and Texas A&M. When your worst loss is on the road to (IMO) the #15 team in the country, I think you deserve better than an 11 seed. They don't have any wins over Top 25-caliber teams, but they did beat Mississippi State, Old Dominion, and Missouri State all on the road. It's hard to imagine someone like Virginia or Marquette doing any better than 24-4 with that schedule.

Oh, Winthrop is a powerful small conf. team. No doubt about it, wouldn't want them in my bracket at all. Problem is an RPI of 68, which will get them a really crappy seeding whether they deserve better or not.

Maryland very well could be a 4 seed, it depends on how they finish. Somewhere in the 4-6 range though, to be sure. As far as the other ACC bubble teams, someone needs to man up. Clemson is almost toast right now (maybe are in fact toast), GT is on the bubble with tough games remaining, and FSU is only 5-9 and may be finished anyway. Honestly Clemson might have to win out at this point to have any chance, but with road games at BC and VT? Good luck. FSU is 5-9 currently and even winning out I can't see how beating NC St. and Miami will distinguish the Noles. Now, GT? I figure UVA on the road is a probable loss so that'd put them at 6-8. To feel REAL safe the Jackets need to win out. Somewhat safe...win 2/3. Mostly screwed...win 1/3. Totally screwed: lose out.

Maryland a 4 is definitely what I disagree with the most. I expect Maryland, UVA, VT, and BC to populate the 6-8 range (and deserve to be around there, too) when all is said done. If one of them gets hot and wins out the rest of the year, then makes some noise in the ACC tourney, then you can talk 3 or 4. Right now all are a bit too inconsistent, though Maryland certainly has a nice run going. I think they drop to UNC and Duke and finish 8-8, though.

How about the fact Winthrop is no lock to get in as an at-large? Although the BB win against Missouri State was huge.

Clemson is done barring a deep run in the ACC tourney.

I think personally the way smaller conferences determine their champion is bullshit. Winthrop should be in the tourney period. They shouldn't have to win some lame conf. tourney to qualify, the work over the reg. season should count.

Florida loses another, this time to a not-so-great LSU team. Ohio State can start to challenge for a 1 if they beat Wisconsin tonight. Georgetown is wreaking utter havoc at this point and are definitely the class of the Big East. They'll end up a strong 2 at this rate.

In the ACC: poor, poor Clemson. They're hopeless now, but BC really needed that one too. Georgia Tech let one they really should have had slip away in crunch time, much to my delight.

Also: 10-4 Virginia Tech at 10-4 Virginia this Thursday. I'm psyched for vengeance.

You know what's bizarre? On AOL Sports' main page they have Ohio St. listed as one of the "10 most disappointing teams" in college hoops. Teams like LSU and Zona are on there, Bama, Syracuse, etc. How on earth could a team that is 25-3, ranked #1 in the coaches poll, with an RPI of 3 possibly be considered a disappointing flop???

As far as the ACC goes, well, it's all coming to fruition. Clemson now is dead meat at 5-9 in conference, ditto FSU. GT is gasping for air at 6-8 and needs to sweep UNC and BC to have a serious shot at the at large. One of those teams could still make it, but it'd take some crazy outing in the ACC tourney to do it.

I would imagine that Clemson's performance ranks up there with the biggest collapses over the course of a season ever right?

With another Florida loss today the Wisco-OSU game tomorrow will be for the undisputed #1 ranking. I'm pretty excited...should be a great game.

Eh, if Wisconsin wins they still would drop down due to the MSU loss. Then OSU would lose, FL lost, so I guess UCLA ends up at #1.

You know, the more I look at the rankings the more disturbed I am about the upcoming tourney. I bet 3/4 of the ranked teams do nothing but this ultra shitty slowdown crap. Anyone dying for a UCLA/G'Town/A & M/Wisconsin Final 4 aside from those teams' fans?

Eh, if Wisconsin wins they still would drop down due to the MSU loss. Then OSU would lose, FL lost, so I guess UCLA ends up at #1.

You know, the more I look at the rankings the more disturbed I am about the upcoming tourney. I bet 3/4 of the ranked teams do nothing but this ultra shitty slowdown crap. Anyone dying for a UCLA/G'Town/A & M/Wisconsin Final 4 aside from those teams' fans?

you know, some people DO actually like to see good team defense. That "Ultra Shitty Slowdown Crap" as you put it can be more exciting because every single basket virtually is a battle to get. I'd rather see that than a clone of an NBA All-Star game. Last time I checked G'Town vs Florida last year was one of the best and exciting games of the tournament.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Well, it's coming up on the one time of the year I like college basketball, and I'm liking the fact that over the past few years there's teams I've never heard of/seen kicking people's asses. Plus Duke sucks this year, so I'll probably like this tournament. Here's to taking money from a bunch of women at work.

Hold up, I'm not saying that defense has no place in basketball. I'm just saying that at the highest level in college hoops teams need to be able to SCORE. 80+ points a game most likely. Defense alone can't win titles in college hoops, not in the era of a shot clock and 3 pt. line, simply because at some point someone will hit shots against you.

Teams that do nothing but run and gun and have zero defense tend to not do that great either (see Wake Forest in 2005). The best teams can play credible defense and also score at least 80 points. Of the teams out there I just see UNC and FL as teams who can do that.

And no, G'Town vs. FL wasn't that much of a game last year. Do not confuse a close game with a good one. Hell, Texas vs. LSU was a close game and it was a piece of crap. G'Town this year might be a solid FF pick, but I don't see them winning it all simply because I have no idea where the points are going to come from. Georgetown only averages 69 points a game.

Here's the thing though. G'Town can score when they want to. If you've seen them this year they have the ability to turn it on at anytime. They CHOOSE to play the style that they do, but don't be confused in thinking they CAN'T score when they need to.

Thanks in whole to the Georiga Tech collapse against Virginia, Florida State is back to freaking life in the NCAA tournament talk. As a FSU fan, I can say I cannot see the Noles deserving to be nor having the type of team that can be competitive right now. I'd like to see them in because I'd really like to see Thornton get a chance to shine on the National stage, but I just don't see them making it.

It would take a win over Miami and at least two wins in the ACC tournament PLUS the Yellow Jackets to implode by losing their final two regular season conference games (Very possible) and lose in the first round of the ACC tournament. Same goes for Clemson. I mean, two weeks ago I was sure the ACC would get seven teams which means FSU, GT and Clemson were all fighting to see if they could snag it. But they have all been playing a game of "I don't want it, you take it" which may end up costing the ACC seven spots.

U of L with the road win over UConn today, baby. Now 11-4 in the Big East with Seton Hall left. All it'd take is a win there and Pitt losing at Quette and U of L is the #2 seed in the Big East.

As far as UK goes, anyone else see that fiasco vs. Vandy today? I mean wow. Just wow. After that it's seriously time to fire SOMEBODY.

In regards to Georgetown, the Hoyas have hit 80 points exactly 3 times this year. Oddly enough one time was at Vandy, which is kinda surprising. The other times were against James Madison and a jobberific Cincy squad. I think G'Town is hurt by playing that Princeton style....why do it? They have actual basketball players.

I'm glad we swept Maryland before they got on this run. Looks very good on the resume. I don't want any part of them in the ACC tourney now that Strawberry has finally started to play up to his potential. At Duke is still going to be a chore, but I was impressed by the win today.

Terps win! Storm the court! WHOO!

Please tell me they didn't.

They did..comeon..its UNC, they were #5 in the country and it pretty much solidifys them going to the tournament.

They're on quite the roll too..they;re finally back to playing as well as they were when I called them better than the terps team that won the national championship in 2002.

No, that's embarrassing. There's no way to justify rushing the court when you're 22-7 and the guys you beat are 24-5. Not as retarded as Ohio State fans rushing the court, but still pretty dumb.

But they beat the #1 team in the Sagarin ratings! Yeah, they probably shouldn't have rushed the court, but it's at least reasonable. The Ohio State fans should absolutely be ashamed of themselves though.

Anyway, I decided to do a Top 25 today, and put a little more thought into each individual spot than I did when I did my seeding projections the other day. Here's what I came up with:

1. Ohio State 26-3

2. UCLA 25-3

3. North Carolina 24-3

4. Florida 25-4

5. Wisconsin 26-4

6. Kansas 25-4

7. Texas A&M 24-4

8. Georgetown 22-5

9. Southern Illinois 25-5

10. Pittsburgh 24-5

11. Memphis 25-3

12. Duke 22-7

13. Maryland 22-7

14. Washington State 23-5

15. Nevada 25-2

16. Arizona 18-9

17. Butler 26-5

18. Virginia Tech 20-8

19. Indiana 18-9

20. Michigan State 21-8

21. Notre Dame 22-6

22. Kentucky 19-8

23. Boston College 19-9

24. USC 21-8

25. Air Force 22-6

Please tell me you seriously don't have UK still ranked after that shit today. Or IU. Or Zona.

Why do I have this feeling that some sick bastard on the committee will want to see U of L vs. Memphis in the 2nd round? The year before both teams were in C-USA was 1995, and they met in the tourney. This is the first post C-USA year that both teams will be in.

I hope we get a 6 in the same bracket that Southern Illinois or Duke will be in, hopefully as 3. USC will totally own their asses, with our sick defense.

Personally, I think the only team in the land we can't beat is Ohio State. I feel that way about almost every team from 8 on that list-down.