TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Special K

Scary games

The first game to give me jump was Gabriel Knight, with the snake and scare music and all.

Second was Silent Hill. Crazy scary soundtrak, random wmipering from bathrooms, man I won't play that game in the dark. Not to mention the fucking opening. Fuck those zombie babies.

And those fucking dogs in Resident Evil. That's the big 'gotcha!' moment. After that you're guarded. But that was a good jump outta your seat! moment.

Then there was the first appearance of the cyborg of System Shock two. Can't really describe it, but you open a door and there's an HR Giger reject lurching at you and talking like a feminine stephen Hawking. Scarier than it sounds.

And then there's fucking Silent Hill 2. Scarier than the face of the devil. You don't like scary? How's about of a big old side of disturbing. Recreate Blue Velvet only this time Pyramid is the enthusiastoc raper instead of Dennis Hopper. And he's forcing himself on the most ghastly creature creation ever. Then he looks into your eyes and drags off his latest rape totem. And it all makes sense in the story. And the story? it's probably more horrible than this can convey.

Man I love Pyramid Head. Man I love Silent Hill 2.

When Silent Hill and Resident Evil both first came out, I couldn't even WATCH someone play them, my heart beat rapidly unless something popped out, THEN it would stop.

in Resident Evil 2, during both characters 2nd missions whenever Tyrant (or was it Nemesis, I get that shit confused?) would pop out of the blue, that sneaky bastard!

Outside of "the dogs", the one really legitimate "OH SHIT" moment I remember from the original Resident Evil (Director's Cut) was the billiards room in the guardhouse. Nevermind that the guardhouse itself is a fucking creepy spectacle, with creaking wood under each footstep and background music sounding like somebody was methodically dropping a dead body on a dusty piano over and over again. You walk into the billiards room, hear this little "skitter-skitter-skitter" and then two absurdly large and hairy spiders drop off of the ceiling and start running towards you with the front two legs up like a goddamn praying mantis.

I won't lie, my freshman college roommate and I screamed like women; they would have had to call an ambulance to tow Dames out of there if he had seen that at 2:30 am like we did. And, of course, even if you kill those things with a rocket launcher, they just roll over on their back, legs curling up in disgusting fashion. Just the ugliest, nastiest looking spiders I think I've ever seen in a video game.

As for Silent Hill 2, what else can you say? As I said in the "Best Writing" thread, the game has one of the most sad and horrifying storylines you'll ever see, and Pyramid Head (and what you eventually realize he represents) is probably the most disturbing part of it all.

The games that have given me big scares while playing were Resident Evil 1 and Resident Evil 2, as well as Alone In The Dark 1, which is the first big "survival horror" game in the US.

The thing about RE 2, though, is that one of the big scares is a cheap one... If you pick up the First Aid Spray in the interview room at the police station, a Licker will attack you by jumping through the one-way glass.

HOWEVER, there is no Licker present in the room behind that glass... it only appears if you pick up the object, which is just cheap on a design level.

Alone In The Dark had a lot of freaky things in it, which included little gremlins which would break through windows into the rooms, zombies which would appear when you opened certain closed doors, a book that would kill you if you read it outside of a certain area, and more. In other words, a lot of the stuff that Resident Evil did on the PS1 and Saturn, but nearly 4 years before RE 1 was ever released.

The game holds up well over time, story-wise, but the 386-486 era polygon graphics don't hold up nearly as well. It's the kind of game that could really use a new overhauled engine to re-create the first game instead of making a bunch of shitty sequels.

(The first AitD game was only released on three platforms... MS-DOS, Mac, and 3DO. Since it never received a proper console release, it's perfect for a "Resident Evil: Director's Cut" style re-make if Infogrames wanted to do it.)

There was an aliens game for the PS1 that had you playing as the Colonial marines in first person. And everytime I would get to a mildly relaxed part, a god damn facehugger would pop up on my screen and freak me out. Between facehuggers and giant spiders, I may never play horror games again.

God damn giant spiders.

The haunted mansion in Vampire the Masquerade, end of story.

Agreed, the tension just keeps building up and up. The bit where the ghost runs straight in front of you in the basement nearly gave me a heart attack.

Also Resident Evil 2, when you run past the barricaded windows and the zombie arms burst through and grab you. My brother screamed out loud at that.

I think it was RE1, but it might have been RE2, you are walking down a hallway towards a window, with a door on the right hand side at the end of the hallway.....right when you get to the door, a figure scampers across the outside of the window, slow enough so you see something, but too fast to know what it is........so it kind of makes you sit there and wait for it to come back...it doesn't though so you go and proceed through the door on the right thinking it was just a fluke or distraction.....and when you get through the door, the LICKER debuts.....

Not always SCARY (it often goes for the psychological thriller motif) but Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. As you start going insane the game REALLY fucks with you. Plus the first visit to the bathroom nearly caused me to jump out of my chair.