TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Bonnaroo 2007

I thought snuffbox had already started a thread for this, but I guess not. I wasn't interested in this festival before, what with it ebing in TN and being ridiculously expensive, but after hearing from a few friends who went last year and have already bought tickets for this year's show, I'm really wanting to go.

Aside from the obvious concert fun, the whole atmosphere seems like it would be incredible to be a part of, and I have at least a dozen friends, both online and off, who plan to attend.

I'm just curious as to how long I probably have to get a ticket, since I am about $150 short right now, and if it's really as chill as people make it out to be. I want to be able to get fucked up, smoke some bud, and enjoy myself without having to worry about getting my ass thrown in a Tennessee jail.

Any input would be appreciated, and I'm sure some of you guys would like to discuss the event. Full band lineups are set to be released on Valentine's Day.

I wasn't planning to start the thread until the lineup came out but this is probably for the best. Now I wont speculate further in the CWDWAT.

It's not really 'ridiculously expensive'...to use a few eaxamples: It is far cheaper than Coachella, with much longer sets for the performers. It is barely more expensive than a Minnesota festival called '10,000 Lakes' that refuses to branch out from the lame jamband genre. Its a bit cheaper or about the same price as a lot of country music festivals that feature only one stage of music.

When the tickets do go on sale (there were a few pre-sale tickets available about a month ago and went in about an hour...regular tickets will be up for grabs after the lineup is announced) they'll be about $200. That includes camping and parking for the weekend. You should have until at least May to buy tickets. Even with Radiohead, Tom Petty, Beck, and Oysterhead last year they didn't sellout until a few weeks before the event.

The vibe there is really fun & relaxed. Security is negligible at best. If you dont act like a total retard you can get away with most anything. Some people do get arrested every year but just dont be a twit about what you do and all should be cool. The music runs almost around the clock from Thursday to Sunday night around Midnight. Headliners get a 4 hour block and nobody gets less than an hour. In the campgrounds you can find pretty much anything you are looking forward to.

Unlike last year, this year's headliners remain a big mystery. Pearl Jam had been generally accepted for awhile but now they definitly won't be there. The Police might reunite but that is also far from confirmed.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Few of my friends went to 10,000 Lakes. The photo album smelled.

I swore up and down that I'd go last summer, but I never planned things out well enough, and besides, I don't know how well I'd fare at Bonnaroo.

I swore up and down that I'd go last summer, but I never planned things out well enough, and besides, I don't know how well I'd fare at Bonnaroo.

Yeah, must be all that fun going on.

10,000 Lakes is something that just goes right over my head. Their headliners are like the B-level bands at Bonnaroo, then they have some middling national acts, then a bunch of Midwest locals that can be seen for $5 or less at bars all over the area. And only 'jamband' bullshit...no hiphop, no heavier rock, no electronica, just the same ol' same ol'. It's almost the exact price as Bonnaroo, too.

What do you mean by how you would fare, Czech? Is it the whole Woodstock-vibe thing?

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

I don't know what I meant. I just thought I'd find it all to be overwhelming or something.

I think my friends went to see the Hot Buttered Rum String Band? You familiar w/them?

Yeah. They're a slowly-rising band (from the South I think) that is on the more enjoyable end of the 'jamband' spectrum. They're alot more country/bluegrass-y than the Phish/DaveMatthews/OAR type of bullshit. But they also fit into what I mentioned about most of 10KL being 'local type bands'...Hut Buttered Rum plays a bar in Madison called High Noon fairly regularly for under like 8 or 10 dollars, and last year played Bonnaroo at their tiny local-band stage that doubles as a cafe.

I'm sure 10,000 Lakes is a really fun time, and alot of the bands are pretty good...I just think it's weirdly overpriced, especially compared to Bonnaroo or the bar cover charges for alot of the acts.

'Overwhelming' is a pretty good word for Bonnaroo. Lots of people, campground is huge, so much happening. But you get a map upon entrance, the size of the tents and concert fields allows for plenty of space (I was in the front row for a crazy all-night Saul Williams/Mars Volta show 2 years ago and nobody was touching my back), and there are plenty of people to help if you get lost or anything. Going with some friends is a definite good idea. But, yeah, it is a pretty crazy place/weekend.

Edit - Wiki tells me they're from Cali.

Thanks for the info, snuffbox. Hey, if Czech goes, and you and I both get tickets, we can go with my plan from last year to dien on General Tsao's chicken and triple team drunk bitches. ;)

Without you guys there I had to triple-team the whores all by myself. That meant using my last Pringles can & a pine cone. Pure hippe shit.

Without you guys there I had to triple-team the whores all by myself. That meant using my last Pringles can & a pine cone. Pure hippe shit.

I admire your MacGuyvership. I'm fairly certain I can assist you this year, though, heh.

Guest Legalise Drugs and Murder

The drugs are totally optional. I can't imagine it being that fun without at least a little psychotropic substances, though.

Guest Grossman=Fag

I'm pretty sure he meant that it's not sounding promising that Tom Waits will be there because of other engagements or what have you. Unless he wants a beating.

It'll be interesting seeing who does the festival circuit this year. This thing seems to be on around the same time as the festival I'm off to in Barcelona, so there may be some crossover.

I know Bjork is playing Glastonbury, so she might turn up.

The Police

Tool

Widespread Panic

The White Stripes

Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals

Flaming Lips

Wilco

Manu Chao

The String Cheese Incident

Franz Ferdinand

Bob Weir & Ratdog

Damien Rice

Ween

The Roots

Gov't Mule

Ziggy Marley & the Melody Makers

The Decemberists

Kings of Leon

Spearhead

Wolfmother

Regina Spektor

The Black Keys

DJ Shadow

Gillian Welch & David Rawlings

Spoon

Keller Williams

Sasha & Digweed

STS9

Old Crow Medicine Show

The Hold Steady

Galactic

Lily Allen

North Mississippi Allstars

Fountains Of Wayne

Hot Tuna

Feist

Hot Chip

John Butler Trio

Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys

Aesop Rock

The Richard Thompson Band

Xavier Rudd

Tortoise

T-Bone Burnett

Mavis Staples

Clutch

Cold War Kids

Paolo Nutini

Brazilian Girls

RX Bandits

The Slip

Girl Talk

Railroad Earth

Martha Wainright

Rodrigo y Gabriela

Annuals

Tea Leaf Green

Sam Roberts Band

Elvis Perkins in Dearland

Charlie Louven

Sonya Kitchell

Apollo Sunshine

Ryan Shaw

Uncle Earl

The National

The Little Ones

It now appears that they will be going with 4 headliners for the first time this year.

Thurs: Widespread Panic

Fri: Tool

Sat: The Police

Sun: White Stripes

Though it is possible that another act may yet to be announced and that could be the Sunday headliner w/ Stripes going on before them.