TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

TSM All-Time Baseball Tournament

I'm going to throw the 1950 "Whiz Kids" Phillies into the mix.

26 Teams are entered so far.

Cheech13: '04 Red Sox

Vern Gagne: '06 Twins

Richard: '98 Padres

MarvinisaLunatic: '97 Orioles

MJ Styles: '89 Orioles

Cena's Writer: '98 Yankees

MFerXtreme87: '84 Tigers

treble: '85 Blue Jays

Criplercrosface9: '01 Mariners

vivalaultra: '98 Astros

Imarkout3eldandy: '76 Reds

Kingofthe909: '56 Dodgers

Smeus: '95 Braves

CanadianChris: '94 Expos

Kahran Ramsus: '92 Blue Jays

Mik: '98 Marlins

Just John: '86 Astros

Bored: '90 Athletics

humanoid92: '46 Red Sox

Cartman: '03 Diamondbacks

UndertakerHart: '02 Angels

Cuban Linx: '99 Rangers

phoenixrising: '27 Yankees

2Gold: '19 White Sox

Fokai: '03 Braves

alkeiper: '50 Phillies

I'm curious about a couple of picks. Kingofthe909, why the '56 Dodgers and not the '55 club that won the Series, or the '53 club that won 105 games? Cartman, what's notable about the 2003 Diamondbacks? You didn't mean the '01 Championship club, did you?

I'm curious about a couple of picks. Kingofthe909, why the '56 Dodgers and not the '55 club that won the Series, or the '53 club that won 105 games? Cartman, what's notable about the 2003 Diamondbacks? You didn't mean the '01 Championship club, did you?

Doh! My mistake yes 2001 was what I meant sorry.

Random thoughts on some teams as I input their stats into my program.

1989 Baltimore Orioles: Of course they were extremely lucky to nearly make the playoffs, especially considering Cal Ripken had an awful year. You wonder if they could have made it if they weren't committed to Billy "F.F." Ripken, one of the worst hitters of his era.

1985 Toronto Blue Jays: In 1985, the Blue Jays came one win away from making an all bullpen-by-committee World Series.

1986 Houston Astros: This is a fun rotation. Mike Scott, Nolan Ryan, and Jim "One HOF Vote" Deshaies.

1998 Florida Marlins: This lineup would look good today. Cliff Floyd, Luis Castillo, Derrek Lee, Edgar Renteria, Mark Kotsay, Craig Counsell. The pitching staff however is a cautionary tale about young pitching. Livan Hernandez (23), Brian Meadows (22), Jesus Sanchez (23), Andy Larkin (24), Rafael Medina (23) and Ryan Dempster (21). In 2004, those six pitchers combined to win 14 games.

1985 Toronto Blue Jays: In 1985, the Blue Jays came one win away from making an all bullpen-by-committee World Series.

It looks that way on paper, but they'd settled on Tom Henke as the closer by the end of the year over Bill Caudill. Which, of course, turned out to be a spectacularly good move, as Henke was the closer for four more division titles and a World Series, and Caudill flamed out spectacularly in 1986 and was out of baseball a year later.

Henke was just amazing in '85 -- if they'd brought him up earlier, he almost certainly would've beaten out Ozzie Guillen for AL Rookie of the Year.

It looks that way on paper, but they'd settled on Tom Henke as the closer by the end of the year over Bill Caudill. Which, of course, turned out to be a spectacularly good move, as Henke was the closer for four more division titles and a World Series, and Caudill flamed out spectacularly in 1986 and was out of baseball a year later.

Henke was just amazing in '85 -- if they'd brought him up earlier, he almost certainly would've beaten out Ozzie Guillen for AL Rookie of the Year.

Henke exhausted his rookie eligibility before 1985.

Henke exhausted his rookie eligibility before 1985.

He finished seventh in the '85 RoY voting.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/a...985.shtml#ALroy

He received one first place vote, maybe a second vote. That happens occasionally in Rookie of the Year balloting. The fact is that coming into 1985 he had 60 IP and had certainly exceeded the service time requirement. He was ineligible for the award.

Well definately don't use that line-up they used for five games because it had Lance Blankenship in it. But your right even in the playoffs LaRussa never settled on a regular line-up as the only thing that was the norm during the season was Rickey leading off and Canseco batting 3rd.

Well definately don't use that line-up they used for five games because it had Lance Blankenship in it. But your right even in the playoffs LaRussa never settled on a regular line-up as the only thing that was the norm during the season was Rickey leading off and Canseco batting 3rd.

Here's what I came up with.

LF: Rickey Henderson

CF: Dave Henderson

RF: Jose Canseco

DH: Harold Baines

3B: Carney Lansford

1B: Mark McGwire

C: Terry Steinbach

SS: Walt Weiss

2B: Willie Randolph

I won't use a player traded or released mid-season, so no Felix Jose.

I'm curious about a couple of picks. Kingofthe909, why the '56 Dodgers and not the '55 club that won the Series, or the '53 club that won 105 games?

Wanted to get the team with Jackie Robinson, Drysdale and Koufax on it.

So, question...how are you going to work in guys that were traded mid-season or called up mid-season or whatnot? Especially in regard to my pick of the 98 'Stros, because I'd much rather have 1998 Randy Johnson over 1998 Pete Schourek in the rotation.

So, question...how are you going to work in guys that were traded mid-season or called up mid-season or whatnot? Especially in regard to my pick of the 98 'Stros, because I'd much rather have 1998 Randy Johnson over 1998 Pete Schourek in the rotation.

Guys acquired midseason are considered part of the team, provided they got enough playing time to merit inclusion. Pete Schourek was dumped in August, leaving Johnson fifth on the team in starts. That gets him in.