TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanDragon

Grindhouse

Agrees: That Tarantino can't act

Disagrees: About Inc's hating on the Thanksgiving trailer. I take it he's never seen old slasher movie trailers...

I liked Tarantino in From Dusk Till Dawn

He was really the only thing I don't like about the movie. Every time he says something in it, I roll my eyes.

Agrees: That Tarantino can't act

Disagrees: About Inc's hating on the Thanksgiving trailer. I take it he's never seen old slasher movie trailers...

I got what it was going for but I thought it was dumb. I appear to be in the minority here, as almost every review I've read calls Roth's trailer one of the film's highlights; I thought Machete and Werewolf Women of the SS were far superior, as far as the trailers go.

Anyway, Grindhouse was good times.

We watched the whole excursion at work last night. Planet Terror was easily the much better film, featuring much more action and excitement. Death Proof has it's moment, but it's really heavy on dialog, and there isn't much of any plot to speak of.

"there isn't much of any plot" is a lousy criticism of this kind of movie. If you really want to go down that route, Planet Terror's was a by-the-numbers zombie plot. In the case of both, it was all about execution.

"there isn't much of any plot" is a lousy criticism of this kind of movie. If you really want to go down that route, Planet Terror's was a by-the-numbers zombie plot. In the case of both, it was all about execution.

At least Planet Terror had a plot and a story arc, Death Proof didn't have any to speak of, it was just a lot of dialog, which is fine, but it wasn't as good as Planet Terror.

I was forgiving of the overly chatty sections of Death Proof because the car chase sequence that took up the last part of the film was so great. And treble seems to have a problem with the ending, but it fits in with the type of flicks Tarantino was paying tribute to.

Planet Terror was good, as were the trailers. The first part of Death Proof was awesome, but the rest was almost unwatchable. Kurt Russell is the man but all of the girl characters were unlikeable.

I'm seeing it tomorrow night with friends.

I was forgiving of the overly chatty sections of Death Proof because the car chase sequence that took up the last part of the film was so great. And treble seems to have a problem with the ending, but it fits in with the type of flicks Tarantino was paying tribute to.

Maybe, but I just didn't like how he went from the character he was in the first part of the film to the crying little girl after

he got shot.

Man, I expected this to be the kind of movie where watching it on DVD wouldn't be the same, but it's not even funny how different it would be.

I'm not sure which one I liked better. I think if Death Proof had been first, the feature as a whole would've been better.

Loved the references to Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill.

Death Proof was overly chatty, but I think that was part of the fun. Ratcheted up the tension and made the payoffs that much more cool

Just saw it and loved both movies..at first I thought that maybe Deathproof should've been the first feature because of the slow scenes and Planet Terror being way more action packed could end the show but the way PT ended was kind slow and Deathproof went out with quite a bang..the order is correct IMO and I hopeI HopeIHope that we get a sequel...maybe two Grindhouses with Roth and Zombie joining in for full length films...

BTW Thanksgiving was the best fake trailer and Halloween by Zombie looks badass...great night at the movies to kick off the best movie season EVAH!!

I hear Machete is getting made into a full-length movie. Maybe they could do the same for Thanksgiving and Werewolf Women of the SS

I watched Grindhouse earlier tonight, and I had a blast. The crowd I was with wasn't as rowdy as I had hoped, but they were ok by the time it was said and done. When "The End" showed up on the screen at the end of Death Proof the crowed all bust open and actually started to clap. There were plenty of laughs from everyone from beginning to end though, so it was received very well by the crowd, even if not as rowdy as I had hoped for. I liked everything, both of the movies and the trailers. It was just a flat out awesome time for me.

I can't believe some of the stuff that some people are actually complaining about, but eh, whatever. I highly recommend this, but I don't think I need to say that to most of you guys who are interested in it in the first place.

I enjoyed this, I thought DP was about 20 minutes too long and Thanksgiving has it's moments but Machete and Werewolf Women were superior trailers.

Also, I forgot how much of a thing I had for rose magowan until I saw the open of planet terror.

I'm guessing the 10 minute cooking school will be the bbq recipie

I just remembered another moment that got a huge pop from the crowd I saw this with:

When they announced Nicolas Cage as Fu Manchu in the "Werewolf Women of the SS" trailer.

I took a piss break and missed some of the trailers.

May have to see it again.

I can't see what's not to like with this flick, really. Deathproof was better because I honestly didn't know what was going to happen during the initial carchase.

Since I won't be seeing this this weekend(paying rent is a bitch) I have a question. Between the faux trailers and both features, what is the approx total running time, and is there an intermission or does it just go right from Planet Terror to Death Proof? Is each flick long enough to be considered a full length movie?

Since I won't be seeing this this weekend(paying rent is a bitch) I have a question. Between the faux trailers and both features, what is the approx total running time, and is there an intermission or does it just go right from Planet Terror to Death Proof? Is each flick long enough to be considered a full length movie?

It's listed as 191 minutes.

For the record I saw quite a few people walk out on "Death Proof". I don't know if it was because the whole thing was too long or because of the weak talking scenes or what. I love Russell's performance the more I think of it but I hate the direction QT went with his character.

I think I might have liked Death Proof more if it had gone first, I think it's just that Planet Terror did a really good job of re-creating what these Grindhouse movies were supposed to be like (or, at least what the people promoting the movie have said they were like), with the grainy film and the colours messing up and stuff like that and then Death Proof doesn't seem to have any of that. There's bits and pieces here and there (where the film keeps skipping towards the beginning comes to mind), but it seems to forget all of that once they introduce the new characters. The rest of the movie after that is kinda boring up until the car chase (which is really awesome) and then Stuntman Mike, who is a really great character up until this point, does a 180.