TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanDragon

Grindhouse

In Europe that is what they are doing since Europeans really don't know what a Grindhouse is. The plan from what I read is to do the same thing here. The Weinstein Company wants to release Planet Terror first then have [/b]Death Proof[/b] make the rounds on the indy circuit and then a few months later DP will go back into the theaters. I think it's being done since the movie seemed long for a few people. Also, when it hits DVD you will either be able to pick them up seperatly or together.

It was split into two movies because it bombed state side, so they figured they'd make more money selling it as two films. As Diddy said, It's all about the Benjamins.

With that in mind:

I saw Death Proof on Monday and fucking loved it. Tarantino finally remembered how to write dialogue and finally learnt how to write strong female dialogue.

The soundtrack was fucking awesome - The Coasters and April May?! Brilliant.

Rusell was great.

The girls were all great in their roles.

Loved the connections with Kill Bill (the two cops, the guy who pays to rape the Bride etc etc)

Granted it was a bit chatty, but I loved it all.

But me and my friend were split down the middle, he absolutly despised the film. Like with a vengeful passion. His exact words were, "I haven't felt that ripped off since I saw Inspector Gadget at the cinema".

Looking forward to Planet Terror, my only real complaint is that we don't get the fake trailers. And I'm not sure if they are going to be on the DVDs. And, so far, there is no plans to release a Grindhouse DVD. It's all about the Benjamins.

It to 5 forevers to release both Kill Bills together, but it happened.

A Grindhouse set will see the light of day if for no other reason then they didn't include the fake trailers on the individual releases and those alone would warrant possibly a double dip, even more so if put together with the rumored Machette bonus and other extras. As it stands, Im not gonna buy the individual releases and wait just like I waited for Kill Bill.

Death Proof was so underrated. I feel that if it was shown before Planet Terror people would have enjoyed it more. I love when people say, "it was too chatty," or " there wasn't enough action" or whatever else they came up with. Obviously those people know very little to nothing about what a real grindhouse movie is. I would say Death Proof is more of a grindhouse film then Planet Terror was. Grindhouse films were sometimes very talky.

When did Quintin forget to write dialoge?

And I really did enjoy Death Proof. Maybe because I didn't have to watch it after Planet Terror(which I haven't seen yet). But I personally didn't get what all the complaining about Death Proof was.

I'll explain it since I saw it at the theater. Planet Terror was a crazed, mayhem filled horror flick that was off the wall and entertaining. Then we get the fake trailers which were really fun too. Then comes Death Proof....and we get these long, drawn out talky scenes. It really drained the life out of the theater. I personally felt bored for about half of it, since none of the chick characters were worth a damn.

I wonder if Tarantino understood the concept of Grindhouse? Rodriguez did a tongue in cheek satire of a Grindhouse horror film, and the trailers were spoofs of silly trailers from that era. Tarantino actually made a Grindhouse movie without a sense of irony or humor behind it, aside from the occasional reference to a 1970s movie (Vanishing Point, Dirty Mary/Crazy Larry).

I had to throw down on Death Proof since it was only $14.99 when I got it, plus it came with a $5 off Planet Terror (which i also plan on getting when it comes out) which I can probably find for $15 on release day as well (and only pay $10 for), basically getting both for $25 total. Who knows when a full Grindhouse deal will be released - given that its completely conceivable that these seperate releases on DVD dont get a ridiculous amount of copies sold, its very possible to me they will never do a full Grindhouse release considering how underwhelming it did at the box office.

BTW, what was the deal with the tin case edition of Death Proof? Was there anything extra as far as content or just a neat tin case?

Also, the Kill Bill uncut box set is now to be released on Christmas day of this year, if anyone is interested in knowing.

According to IMDB, the original Grindhouse double feature DVD set will be single discs each of the theatrical versions, with all of the trailers attached likely, and to be released June 8 of next year. So I stand corrected, its already set and ready to go then.

I'm still fine with these single releases since they are unrated and have extra footage in them, in fact Death Proof has roughly 25 minutes extra from what I understand. Plus the Grindhouse release next year sounds like it wont have any of the extras these other seperate releases had. Havent watched the DVD extended version yet, so dont know what really is the differences.

Bummed I missed the tin case version of Death Proof too, I just read about it and I guess it was a Best Buy exclusive and had a third disc with a 30 minute documentary on Death Proof.

With that in mind:

I saw Death Proof on Monday and fucking loved it. Tarantino finally remembered how to write dialogue and finally learnt how to write strong female dialogue.

I agree, that Tarantino can't write female dialogue for shit (Uma's dialogue ruined the first story of Pulp Fiction for me), but did we see the same film. This was probably the first time I thought that QT's dialogue came off as very lame and unhip. Sure, "Silly Rabbit, Tricks Are For Kids" from Kill Bil Volume 1 was lame, but that was the only part, most of this movie was full of nausating moments like that.

"BOO-YAH" and "I'M GONNA TAP DAT ASS" during the chase scene is strong female dialogue? Most of the women I talk to have never even heard of Vanishing Point, so that's just QT jacking off on the screen shooting women's feet and hearing them talk about his favorite obscure films.

I really hated Death Proof btw. Not only was it chatty, but I didn't find it to have a Grindhouse feel compared to Planet Terror which had the grainy picture and all the scratches on the film. Yes, most of the old Grindhouse films had a lot of chatty moments and were mostly build up, but they actually had dialogue that explained the purpose of the characters. I thought Kurt Russell was awesome in it, but even he was only in it for about 20 minutes.

Maybe the Director's Cut is better, but I heard that it's mostly even more pointless banter between annoying unrealistic women that still aren't developed well. That black woman with the afro was the most vile hateable character in a film in a long time. It's like QT was going for a female Samuel L. Jackson vibe, but they got the most stereotypical, devoid of emotion, actress they could find. And Zoe wasn't much better.

Rose McGowan's cameo was probably the only female character I cared about and she was only in it for 5 minutes.

I think this movie's starting to get very overrated, most of the initial hate has gone down and it's starting to get way too much love. I think I'd rather watch I Spit On Your Grave 5 times in a row than Death Proof again.

I might want to rent these as the special editions and then actually buy the DVD set next year when both are included.

Death Proof is Tarantino's weakest movie, there is very little doubt of that in my mind. I mean what can you place it ahead of? It's not in the same league as Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, the Kill Bill movies had much better action set pieces, and Jackie Brown has better characterization.

Four Rooms was fucking awesome.

That's it canuck, you're banned from my board. Robert Rodriguez's segment in Four Rooms was decent, but Tarantino's was pretty weak and the other two were just unwatchable garbage.

""BOO-YAH" and "I'M GONNA TAP DAT ASS" during the chase scene is strong female dialogue? Most of the women I talk to have never even heard of Vanishing Point, so that's just QT jacking off on the screen shooting women's feet and hearing them talk about his favorite obscure films."

Uh, two of the women were car nuts and stunt drivers. Of course they heard about Vanishing Point. Now if all four were proclaiming their love for the movie, something would be off. But none of the women you talked to ever head of the movie so.....so fucking what?

Being released on March 21st, 2008:

Grindhouse - 6 Disc Set - $84.45/shipped @ Amazon.co.jp

6jd9a36.jpg

6lka260.jpg

6xsmhky.jpg

Disc 1: Death Proof (Extended Film)

• Japanese Theatrical/TV trailers
  • Staff/Cast Profiles (Text)
  • What is Grindhouse? (Text)
  • English DTS, English DD, Japanese dub
  • Japanese subtitles

Disc 2: Planet Terror (Extended Film)

• Audio commentary with Robert Rodriguez
  • International/Japanese trailers
  • Staff/Cast Profiles (Text)
  • What is Grindhouse? (Text)
  • English DTS, English DD, Japanese dub
  • Japanese Subtitles

Disc 3: Death Proof bonus materials

• Special Message to Japan from Tarantino
  • Staff and Cast interviews on Death Proof
  • Stunts on Wheels: The Legendary Drivers of Death Proof (20:39)
  • Introducing Zoë Bell (8:59)
  • Kurt Russell as Stuntman Mike (9:34)
  • Finding Quentin's Gals (21:14)
  • The Uncut Version of "Baby, It's You" Performed by Mary Elizabeth Winstead (1:48)
  • The Guys of Death Proof (8:16)
  • Quentin's Greatest Collaborator: Editor Sally Menke (4:38)
  • Double Dare Trailer (2:36)

Disc 4: Planet Terror bonus materials

• 10-Minute Film School (11:52)
  • The Badass Babes of Planet Terror (11:50)
  • The Guys of Planet Terror (16:32)
  • Casting Rebel (05:34)
  • Sickos, Bullets and Explosions: The Stunts of Planet Terror (13:18)
  • The Friend, The Doctor and The Real Estate Agent (6:42)

Disc 5: Grindhouse (191 minute theatrical cut including the fake trailers)

• English DD, Japanese dub
  • Japanese subtitles

Disc 6: Japan exclusive Grindhouse bonus disc (106 minutes)

• Grindhouse - US Trailer
  • 2006 San Diego Comicon
  • Tarantino Interview (About the homages in Death Proof, About Planet Terror, Use of Music, Possible Sequel to Death Proof)
  • Staff/Cast comments
  • The Directors of the Fake Trailers
  • Comments on past Grindhouse Films
  • Making Of Planet Terror

useless unless you have a region free player..and $85 is way too much anyway..

I suppose though that would probably be what the set would look like if it ever saw the light of day here...and Im sure it would probably be less than $50.

I would love to watch the Japanese dub of Planet Terror. I may get this as it's a pretty sweet looking set, and the shit we've got over here is total ass. What ever happened to Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair, btw?

The kill bill set was postponed indefinitely though someone rumored an April release and someone rumored a theatrical release first (who the hell is going to sit through a 247 minute movie they've probably already seen numerous times?)

The kill bill set was postponed indefinitely though someone rumored an April release and someone rumored a theatrical release first (who the hell is going to sit through a 247 minute movie they've probably already seen numerous times?)

Everyone who actually sat thru LOTR's extended edition DVD super duper collectors Director's set.

Everyone who actually sat thru LOTR's extended edition DVD super duper collectors Director's set.

theres a difference between at 4 hours at home and 4 hourss in a theatre.

It'd probably be very limited release. You'd only get the diehards at that too. They did something similar in a few theatres with all 3 LOTR movies when the 3rd one came out.

Death Proof is a fucking disgrace. Horrible acting from B actresses (save for Rosario Dawson and Rose McGowan), unrealistic and tedious dialogue, nothing happening for 95% of the film and the biggest cocktease of an ending I've ever seen.

And Canadian Destroyer, just because he's paying tribute to a genre of mostly bad films doesn't give him a free pass to make an awful film himself. Those grindhouse films were universally panned by critics and I'll bet good money that the majority of them had more redeeming qualities than DP.

Planet Terror stayed true to the spirit of Grindhouse films and still managed to have good

acting, dialogue and a point. Robert Rodriguez deserves an oscar nomination simply for making an excellent film out of a genre that churns out so much crap.

Son of a monkey fuck, I just bought Death Proof on DVD!

Same shit happened when I bought a region 1 copy of Sin City because we weren't going to get a UK 2 disc edition, and then a fecking 2 disc edition came out a week later!

Yep, Death Proof is fucking awful. The reason why has been noted. But this was an interesting quote:

I think I'd rather watch I Spit On Your Grave 5 times in a row than Death Proof again.

I think I'd rather watch I Spit On Your Grave 5 times in row than... just about anything.

Death Proof is a fucking disgrace. Horrible acting from B actresses (save for Rosario Dawson and Rose McGowan), unrealistic and tedious dialogue, nothing happening for 95% of the film and the biggest cocktease of an ending I've ever seen.

And Canadian Destroyer, just because he's paying tribute to a genre of mostly bad films doesn't give him a free pass to make an awful film himself. Those grindhouse films were universally panned by critics and I'll bet good money that the majority of them had more redeeming qualities than DP.

Whatever. I'm no cock-monkey for Taratino but I'm pretty sure the fact that he was greenlit for this gives him free pass to make any kind of film he wants - just like any other filmmaker out there in the same position.

I'm also pretty sure that you don't understand the concept or the genre that Death Proof was built from - otherwise you'd understand that those movies were also filled with horrible acting, ridiculous dialogue, etc. You don't HAVE to like it - but calling it a fucking disgrace has to be the biggest misuse of hyperbole I've seen on this board in quite some time.

Whatever. I'm no cock-monkey for Taratino but I'm pretty sure the fact that he was greenlit for this gives him free pass to make any kind of film he wants - just like any other filmmaker out there in the same position.

I'm also pretty sure that you don't understand the concept or the genre that Death Proof was built from - otherwise you'd understand that those movies were also filled with horrible acting, ridiculous dialogue, etc. You don't HAVE to like it - but calling it a fucking disgrace has to be the biggest misuse of hyperbole I've seen on this board in quite some time.

Thanks for the refreshing insight but I'm obviously not trying to dictate what movies he can and cannot make. He has a right to make a bad film and I have a right to point out just how fucking awful it is and how stupid you sound for using the excuse that he's paying tribute to a genre of mostly bad films to imply that it is somehow redeemed for being horrible. Grindhouse pictures were low-budget with horrible actors, cheap gimmicks and paper thin plots, I know, but you don't see anyone calling those films great or even good. And if you still can't comprehend my argument; a bad movie is a bad movie, bad acting is bad acting, nothing happening for 30 minutes but inane chatter is still boring, regardless of the filmmaker's intentions.

I know of lots of fans of that genre who love those same movies that you say "you don't see anyone calling those films great or good" about.

What, does something have to be universally popular and accepted by the masses to be a great film in your eyes? Does it have to worthy of some pretentious award like an Oscar to be a great film? Does it need to be Citizen Kane or The Notebook or The Ten Commandments something?

And as far as inane chatter goes.. That means nothing. See Coffee & Cigarettes. That entire movie is inane chatter, but it was still great.

Inane chatter can work if the actors are there but these girls were atrocious.

The Oscars get it wrong about 95% of the time and I don't like any of the three films you used as examples. I don't need other people to tell me what is and isn't good, I can spot bad acting and I know a movie is bad when I can't find any reason to like it.

Complaining about b-level acting, regarding a movie that is a homage to "grindhouse" films is kind of laughable.

I liked Death Proof a lot, better then Planet Terror.