7 members have voted

1. 1. What was the match of the night?

• Landon Maddix vs. Tracey "Big Bully" Bruner
    • Alan Clark vs. Michael Stephens
    • Cadillac Boys vs. IL/Doom vs. Asia Underground
    • JJ Johnson vs. Zyon
    • Ricky Barbosa vs. Matt Myers vs. MANSON

WILL SOMEONE BEAT US ALREADY?!

anyway, go zyon for showing, and go landon for showing, and go clark and stuff.

Edited by Ace309

WC wrote a really fun match as Bruner that I perhaps didn't treat fairly in the marking out of logical booking concerns as well as lateness (I was already putting the card together last night when I received it). I hope he posts it.

I also hate both Stephens and Clark for making me go through last week again. This time, it came out a shade differently, but Stephens damn well better post his match.

I'm continually impressed with Zyon's progress.

So don't book us together twice in a row. Duh.

My match will be posted... soon.ish.

Our showing rate was 58.33[repeating]. That's seven written matches including Wildchild's match as Bruner. We were well short of our goal and it'll be adjusted for next week.

I liked the way the show went this week. Kudos go out to Alan Clark who adjusted what was necessary to defeat a guy that few can. I couldn't. Speaking of me, at least I can turn in promos on time. Now I need to work on those matches. And another good thing... no double no shows. I want to hear what Skull Radio has to say about this one.

P.S. I'll talk about Zyon's match since I was the marker, but just not right now. Probably tomorrow morning so be on the look out for that Zyon.

I promised I'd write something about Zyon's match and just didn't get around to it earlier so here it is.

While Pure Rules can lead to an interesting match, it's also limiting in itself. Zyon stuck with the obvious and smart storyline, which is that Johnson being a better grappler eliminates the youths rope breaks on stretches and Zyon (being worse) responds with sloppy attempts of his own, but is forced to use his ingenuity to pick up the win. The secondary story around that though is what I liked better while reading. Zyon's really getting into the characters lately and never is it more evident than this match with him pointing out the rope break on the Big Shot counter and JJ's punch in response. There were a couple of really cool spots like that in there: Zyon's spinning wheel kick and Johnson's Dragon Flip followed by No Regard crash and burn (which I was suprised to see JJ dodge) stand out. I think these were done to show how familiar they are with eachother and this is reenforced towards the finish. The match gets really physical harkening back to JJ/Janus and the teased finish and actual ending were executed well. My only problem is that it's extremely difficult to sprawl during a guillotine choke and grabbing a rope wouldn't really help. Instead I think it would work better if on JJ's choke counter to the Northern Lights, Johnson hadn't gotten the hooks in it and then Zyon can get the two count the same way. But during the finish, instead of grabbing the ropes, Zyon gets taken down to the mat and puts his feet on the ropes to get the extra leverage necessary for the pin. Not only would it be more probable, but makes Zyon look a little craftier than your original finish. Just something to think about.

If I were to have a complaint I can't help thinking your pacing is a little too fast. I know they're Cruisers, but you didn't give some stuff time to sink in. It felt like a slightly slower version of the Indies. Everything was rapid fire. Another thing to point out is you had a suspect transition after JJ goes into his beatdown. I hadn't had enough time to digest why he would do something like what he pulled on Janus, though I know he was pissed from the weak rope break he gave up... but then he backs off of Zyon negating that whole mini-story and Zyon immediately gets up and takes control for a whip? Didn't make much sense to me, but if you play up Zyon's decision a little more and have him get some strikes in with his charge, a whip is more probable and can be seen as JJ giving his rival a chance to man-up.

Overall I really enjoy your writing style, but what I'd work on is taking more words to develop your match and less towards wordplay. If it goes too fast your execellent story loses some of its importance. Good stuff

Sign in to follow this