TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GreatWhiteNope

WSX cancelled by MTV

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=23163&p=1

MTV SOURCE SAYS THAT WRESTLING SOCIETY X HAS BEEN CANCELED

by Dave Scherer @ 10:31:00 PM on 2/28/2007

We just got word from an insider at MTV that the decision has been made to cancel the Wrestling Society X series. Apparently, MTV made the call earlier today, presumably due to the drop in ratings for the show. The phrase being used at MTV today was that the series was to be finished "effective immediately". It's not known if any of the remaining episodes will ever air on MTV or not at this point but the word at the MTV office is that the series will not be renewed. There are still six unaired episodes from the original filming.

After a solid start for the show, the ratings had dropped to the point where it wasn't even meeting the night's average on the network. Given that it was a wrestling show, the feeling is that it was expected to have to outperform the other programming in order to keep its slot. When it didn't, it became immediately vulnerable.

Last week's show was pulled from MTV's lineup either due to low ratings or because MTV, which had OK'd all of the shows scripts, had a problem with a fireball slot on the show, depending on who you believe.

Big Vision Entertainment, which produced the show, will retain rights to WSX and can market it to other networks or direct to DVD if they choose to do so.

I'm not trying to sound like a dick here, but who honestly didn't see this coming?

I'm not trying to sound like a dick here, but who honestly didn't see this coming?

Well thats what they get for using duct tape & hand towels as turnbuckles production wise it looked like it had the budget of a public access show. Too bad I was starting to get into the PWG and Dragon Gate guys characters.

Well thats what they get for using duct tape & hand towels as turnbuckles production wise it looked like it had the budget of a public access show. Too bad I was starting to get into the PWG and Dragon Gate guys characters.

I really don't think that was the problem at all. I think the main problem is that they only had a half an hour show, they had 300 camera cuts in one show and 250 of those camera cuts were of the crowd. I think that was two of the main problems. I also think the hardcore element might have been an issue as well. For example, that battle royal they had during the first show, all the hardcore highspots happen right after one another, the show and the matches really had no pacing when it came to stuff like that.

Ya know, if Big Vision cut out the seizure-inducing camera cuts, made it an actual wrestling promotion with regular shows, and held PPVs I bet WSX could thrive. It would have to be much more like the WSXtra than the MTV show. It's amazing how much the two differed. But I'd watch a fed that was like Xtra.

Agreed. I think the show would do well on a different network. You just don't think of MTV as a wrestling channel. Heck, Sunday Night Heat didn't even do that well when it was on MTV.

Ya know, if Big Vision cut out the seizure-inducing camera cuts, made it an actual wrestling promotion with regular shows, and held PPVs I bet WSX could thrive. It would have to be much more like the WSXtra than the MTV show. It's amazing how much the two differed. But I'd watch a fed that was like Xtra.

The camera cuts were annoying as hell as one wrestler would hit a spot then they cut to emo kid in the audience every 30 seconds. PPVs is not the answer as a matter of fact it is part of the problem as all companys worry about pushing PPVs instead of producing a watchable tv program. Bypass the middle man and put the product in stores!

Yeah, this would be WAY too early for WSX to even consider running pay-per-views. TNA got away with it at the beginning because that was their model to start with (the weekly $9.95 PPV shows), and they had actual recognized stars on their shows. WSX doesn't have that going for them.

I think the problem was that it was professional wrestling on MTV in 2007.

On the same night as the same time as ANOTHER wrestling show, which was just an amazingly stupid decision given how limited an audience there is for wrestling right now. WSX was really sort of doomed from the start.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=23176&p=1

BIG VISION ENTERTAINMENT EXPECTED TO ISSUE WRESTLING SOCIETY X STATEMENT

by Mike Johnson @ 4:00:00 PM on 3/1/2007

Representatives from MTV and Wrestling Society X producers Big Vision Entertainment have been in discussion today about WSX's status

An official statement is expected from Big Vision CEO Houston Curtis about the future of the WSX project and it's status with MTV at some point later today.

As Dave Scherer noted yesterday, WSX sources have indicated that Big Vision would retain the rights to WSX and be able to shop the project to a new TV home.

are they going to replay tuesdays episode again cuz I missed it?

in any event that sucks they are canceled, cuz despite their problems, they showcased some new stars, and some guys I remember fondly from xpw or socal indies.

I really want to buy Def Jam Icon now after watching WSX oh boy I can't wait to play as Good Charlotte or Fallout Boy!

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON'T BUY THAT GAME!!!

I guess it needed more Good Charlotte, prissy 16 year olds and Fall Out Boy to survive.

That's more this channels job

site8.jpg

Wasn't it just yesterday we heard that MTV got a new head of programming who championed bringing WSX in to start with and how the show "was in good shape"?

I bet Vampiro wishes he did not change his weekend plans now.

I really want to buy Def Jam Icon now after watching WSX oh boy I can't wait to play as Good Charlotte or Fallout Boy!

But I wanna have the mtv celebrity deathmatch of Cam'ron & the Dipshit vs Good Charlotte at the Hollis B-Ball Court! I wanna see Cam do some NBA Street shit like triple double 1080 360 double dutch windmill slamma jamma Street Fighter Zangrief piledriver shit, son!

But I wanna have the mtv celebrity deathmatch of Cam'ron & the Dipshit vs Good Charlotte at the Hollis B-Ball Court! I wanna see Cam do some NBA Street shit like triple double 1080 360 double dutch windmill slamma jamma Street Fighter Zangrief piledriver shit, son!

I have no idea on what you just said.

Lock the thread, nothing's topping that.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=23199&p=1

BIG VISION CEO RELEASES STATEMENT ON WRESTLING SOCIETY X'S FUTURE; SERIES INDEED PULLED FROM MTV, BUT PROJECT NOT DEAD

by Mike Johnson @ 12:55:00 AM on 3/3/2007

Big Vision Entertainment's Houston Curtis issued the following statement to PWInsider.com early Saturday morning in regard to Wrestling Society X. The series has been pulled from MTV, as previously reported by PWInsider.com, but Curtis' statement gives the impression that WSX may find a home elsewhere within the MTV Networks:

First, I want to thank all of the wrestling fans and press for their support, not only over the past few, confusing, days, but since the debut of WSX on MTV.

Earlier today we spoke with executives at MTV and can now share with you the following.

MTV is making no statement in regards to canceling Wrestling Society X. However, WSX will be pulled off the Tuesday night lineup in order to strategize the best way to bring the show back to the network and to the fans.

Although the show has not been performing as well as the network had hoped in the Tuesday night lineup, we have been told that other MTV departments including MTV 2, MTV Online, MTV Mobile, and MTV Video-On-Demand are 100% behind Wrestling Society X. Additionally, the Creative and Development executives at MTV have commended us on the production of the show and are saddened by the lack of response due to scheduling mishaps and under-promotion.

Until details are released regarding when the next NEW episode of WSX will air, all four previous episodes will be available on www.WSX.MTV.COM along with their WSXtra counterparts. Furthermore, fans with MTV Video-On-Demand can watch both the regular episodes and WSXtras on their TVs.

From all of us here at Big Vision Entertainment, we thank you for your continuing support and look forward to bringing you more of the evolution of sports entertainment shortly!

Sincerely,

Houston Curtis

CEO

Big Vision Entertainment

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=23199&p=1

BIG VISION CEO RELEASES STATEMENT ON WRESTLING SOCIETY X'S FUTURE; SERIES INDEED PULLED FROM MTV, BUT PROJECT NOT DEAD

by Mike Johnson @ 12:55:00 AM on 3/3/2007

Big Vision Entertainment's Houston Curtis issued the following statement to PWInsider.com early Saturday morning in regard to Wrestling Society X. The series has been pulled from MTV, as previously reported by PWInsider.com, but Curtis' statement gives the impression that WSX may find a home elsewhere within the MTV Networks:

First, I want to thank all of the wrestling fans and press for their support, not only over the past few, confusing, days, but since the debut of WSX on MTV.

Earlier today we spoke with executives at MTV and can now share with you the following.

MTV is making no statement in regards to canceling Wrestling Society X. However, WSX will be pulled off the Tuesday night lineup in order to strategize the best way to bring the show back to the network and to the fans.

Although the show has not been performing as well as the network had hoped in the Tuesday night lineup, we have been told that other MTV departments including MTV 2, MTV Online, MTV Mobile, and MTV Video-On-Demand are 100% behind Wrestling Society X. Additionally, the Creative and Development executives at MTV have commended us on the production of the show and are saddened by the lack of response due to scheduling mishaps and under-promotion.

Until details are released regarding when the next NEW episode of WSX will air, all four previous episodes will be available on www.WSX.MTV.COM along with their WSXtra counterparts. Furthermore, fans with MTV Video-On-Demand can watch both the regular episodes and WSXtras on their TVs.

From all of us here at Big Vision Entertainment, we thank you for your continuing support and look forward to bringing you more of the evolution of sports entertainment shortly!

Sincerely,

Houston Curtis

CEO

Big Vision Entertainment

Step 1: Put it on at 9 o'clock on Weds night.

My guess is that they'll put it on MTV 2 soon enough.

If only there was SOME way to incorporate into the show the telling of insulting jokes regarding people's mothers, then perhaps the company could be saved.

Or hire Vince Russo.

Those are the only 2 options I can think of.