TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ICHIBAN~!

Pleased To Meet You

I have just bought Exile On Main Street, my first Stones record, it is okay but the vocals are buried way too deep in the mix.

Guest ICHIBAN~!

It'll grow on you man, its so funky. The first of their albums I got into (excluding 'best of's etc.)

I have just bought Exile On Main Street, my first Stones record, it is okay but the vocals are buried way too deep in the mix.

I was unimpressed with Exile the first few times I heard it, but it might now be my favorite album of all time. Give it some time... let it rest awhile. You'll come to appreciate it with time.

Guest ICHIBAN~!

I was unimpressed with Exile the first few times I heard it, but it might now be my favorite album of all time. Give it some time... let it rest awhile. You'll come to appreciate it with time.

Same here. I only really liked 'Happy' and 'Tumbling Dice' as they were the most distinctive and hookey songs, but now I love the funky almost mo-towny stuff, I mean, how can you not listen to Rocks Off and be impressed?

"Rocks Off" is one of three songs on the album that I already truly love.

"Loving Cup" and "Torn And Frayed" are the other two.

"Just Want to See His Face" might be my favorite Stones song. It's so murky and distant on the surface, but rich and complex at the same time. Such a microcosm for Exile on the whole. A hidden gem from their outstanding catalogue.

Guest ICHIBAN~!

Appreciation for 'Stop Breaking Down'?

'Just Want to See His Face' is a real hidden gem indeed. I had to search for it to find out which song you meant as I didn't recognize the name

The Stones are fucking awesome. The rockingest band of their era along with I think the Kinks (my Rock chronology is pretty bad)

Sympathy for the Devil strikes me as sorta cheesy, tho. Maybe because in high school one kid thought he was Jagger.

If you can watch a rich 16-year -old kid sing about how he saw Jesus dying on the cross, without laughing, you're more man than I.

The Rolling Stones are the single most overrated band of all time.

Took the words right out of my mouth. They're not bad, bud best band ever? Far from it.

Okay, wait. The Stones are probably the second most overrated band ever, behind the Grateful Dead.

Took the words right out of my mouth. They're not bad, bud best band ever? Far from it.

Okay, wait. The Stones are probably the second most overrated band ever, behind the Grateful Dead.

Whoa... I don't know what to say.

Because Matt is known for having good taste in music.

"I Can't Get No Satisfaction", "Lets Spend the Night Together" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want" are all uniformly terrible, so I can see how a limited sample could skew an opinion on them.

Guest ICHIBAN~!

Come on, Satisfaction is pure brilliance in my opinion. Such a nasal, simple riff mixed with the murky lyrics are fantastic. 'You Can't Always Get What You Want' showcases the softer side of the Stones, which I am a fan of (I personally rate 'Angie' and 'Wild Horses' as among their best works.)

Iggy Pop is dominating right now though.

"I Can't Get No Satisfaction", "Lets Spend The Night Together" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want" are all uniformly terrible, so I can see how a limited sample could skew an opinion on them.

As a whole, the Stones' singles leave a little something to be desired. They do sound a little generic. To get the Stones you have to hear the big four from the early's 70s. In my opinion, I could take Exile, Sticky Fingers, Beggar's Banquet and Let It Bleed and leave the rest of their catalogue (well maybe Some Girls too).

The whole "world's biggest rock and roll band" schtick undermines their awesomely gritty middle period where all the good stuff happened.

Guest ICHIBAN~!

Can I get a vote in here. Let It Bleed is the second best album ever recorded (next to 'Tonight's The Night' by Neil Young naturally) ?

Ok, ok... how about just, Let It Bleed is a great album with HORRIBLE art work?

Can I get a vote in here. Let It Bleed is the second best album ever recorded (next to 'Tonight's The Night' by Neil Young naturally) ?

Ok, ok... how about just, Let It Bleed is a great album with HORRIBLE art work?

Sorry I can't support that. Let It Bleed is my least favorite of the Stones' big four. I agree on the shitty artwork though.

Because Matt is known for having good taste in music.

I didn't say either group was bad. I just said they were overrated. There's a huge difference.

Aftermath opinion? I'd say that's one of their best albums.

Not really. They still hadn't gotten comfortable with the concept of the album as a whole rather than just a collection of songs. There's some classic tunes, but too much filler. I'm not even including the godawful epic "Goin' Home."

let it bleed is boring and pedestrian. its a stale hangover from beggars banquet. move along, little boy.

and between the buttons, uk or us version, is delicious. completely destroys whatever the boring fuck they did on aftermath. let it bleed. ya. give me some black & blue. loser.