TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RonL21

OAO WrestleMania 23 Thread-April 1st, 2007

Aside from just being a bad idea to clutter 25% of a WrestleMania card with run-in finishes, I don't think the stadium set-up will lend itself very well to run ins.

I wonder if Sandman is going to do a big stadium entrance or if all 4 guys will just come out together.

Anyone get the pre-recorded message from Donald Trump and McMahon? I just got it about half hour ago. They are so cheesy and I love it.

How is the MitB going to be an overbooked mess? It's not like WWE hasn't done 8+ man ladder matches before. It's an extra pair of bodies from the regular MitB matches and since this will have more bumpers, it should be much better then last years version which aside from Benjamin was pretty substandard ladder match fare. Punk will do something sickening as he always does in these matches not to mention the Hardys and their usual stuff. Edge will be great doing the chicken shit heel routine avoiding everyone.

After reading about the huge set they have and the character exclusive entrances, I'm really curious about the show from a production standpoint more so then most of the actual card.

What do you think the odds of the ECW Originals VS New Breed match will be contested under extreme rules? I know its scheduled as a regular match now, but they may have some back stage segment perhaps?

Unlikely. We already have two garbage matches with MitB and the BoB's and Cena/Shawn will possibly be in color as well. I think the eight man can be a sleeper match. Don't discount seeing a Van Daminator or maybe a couple cane shots but Extreme Rules? No. That's gone out the door and thank god for that. It's a stupid term in trying to be different then a No DQ or Street Fight match.

Aside from just being a bad idea to clutter 25% of a WrestleMania card with run-in finishes, I don't think the stadium set-up will lend itself very well to run ins.

I wonder if Sandman is going to do a big stadium entrance or if all 4 guys will just come out together.

Their entrance should use the WM3 cart thingy but this time have a keg of beer in the middle!

What do you think it means with these elaborate character specific entrances? I can't imagine if that means an entire night of stuff like Cena and HHH last year.

After reading about the huge set they have and the character exclusive entrances, I'm really curious about the show from a production standpoint more so then most of the actual card.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm very interested in this "morphing" set I've read about.

I just imagine the set has moving metal pieces or something. It's a very vague statement and I look forward to seeing what it's all about. There was a mention of Raw having 24 LED screens but the Mania set having 400+, so I get the impression there will be a lot of video morphing effects (like the WMXX set).

What do you think it means with these elaborate character specific entrances? I can't imagine if that means an entire night of stuff like Cena and HHH last year.

What? You mean you didn't like Hunter The Barbarian or John Capone?

Meh, wow, CM Punk has come a long way in a year. This year he is a favorite to win the MITB match but this time last year, he was one of John's mafia lackeys.

I just imagine the set has moving metal pieces or something. It's a very vague statement and I look forward to seeing what it's all about. There was a mention of Raw having 28 LED screens but the Mania set having 400+, so I get the impression there will be a lot of video morphing effects (like the WMXX set).

Maybe the set will morph into a huge Transformer at the end of the night to promote the new film.

Prime/Megatron @ Wrestlemania.

One shall stand, one shall fall.

"Just as a point of reference, Robinson explained that a typical Raw has 24 LED boards whereas there are 414 on this show. Moreover, for a normal pay-per-view, there are 4-6 searchlights. There are 56 on this show. And with the set’s lighting element at 300 feet wide and 100 feet tall, expect it to be possibly the brightest WrestleMania of all time."

"Just as a point of reference, Robinson explained that a typical Raw has 24 LED boards whereas there are 414 on this show. Moreover, for a normal pay-per-view, there are 4-6 searchlights. There are 56 on this show. And with the set’s lighting element at 300 feet wide and 100 feet tall, expect it to be possibly the brightest WrestleMania of all time."

"...but maybe not the smartest"

Another thing I love about WM is when wrestlers bust out new gear. Be it a different color scheme or a complete design change. Shawn's all white pants or his debut of the current look at WM21. Hunter's White boots and many others. It's WM, wrestlers should do something different and "bigger/better". With the emphasis on the light show for this event, lighting is going to be important, so I imagine the wrestlers will pay more attention to these details then usual.

Guest Johnny B Radd

From Meltzer

Some late notes for tonight's show. John Cena is supposed to have the biggest entrance on the show. Something of a "Motor City" theme with cars. The Money in the Bank match will open the show, which means we should all pity who is slotted second because it's pretty much a lock that match is being designed to not only steal the show, but be one of the most memorable Wrestlemania matches ever. Undertaker vs. Batista is laid out to be a "powerhouse brawl." As noted, they are both motivated because they wanted to go on last. As noted before, Cena vs. Michaels will close the show. Last night, every mention of Cena and showing of Cena brought gigantic boos and everything regarding Michaels got cheers. Of course, that's 4,000 25+ year old male fans as opposed to 75,000 or so who will be at the show. Still, the company does expect Cena to be booed out of the building, so if it happens, nobody is going to be surprised. Shane McMahon was pushing to open the show doing the same role that Vince did, to stand in the ring as the host and perhaps introduce Aretha Franklin. Stephanie was trying to bury the idea to anyone who would listen. There will also be a dance contest of some sorts with people that will include Eugene, Fabulous Moolah, Mae Young and the return after maybe 15 years of the one-time Dr. of Style, Slick

My excitement level went from 95 to like 50 with that news. Shane really gets fucked over all the time. I think it's a good idea for Shane to introduce Aretha and play off that history. Stephanie probably doesn't even know what Shane is talking about.

WM23 will be worth the $50 to hear Slick's theme music. Hopefully they don't bitch out and use some stock music.

And if Cena/Michaels is going last, HBK better win the title or they will have a disaster on their hands. And the news of that match being last is bad because it gives Batista more of a chance to beat UT.

From Meltzer

Some late notes for tonight's show. John Cena is supposed to have the biggest entrance on the show. Something of a "Motor City" theme with cars. The Money in the Bank match will open the show, which means we should all pity who is slotted second because it's pretty much a lock that match is being designed to not only steal the show, but be one of the most memorable Wrestlemania matches ever. Undertaker vs. Batista is laid out to be a "powerhouse brawl." As noted, they are both motivated because they wanted to go on last. As noted before, Cena vs. Michaels will close the show. Last night, every mention of Cena and showing of Cena brought gigantic boos and everything regarding Michaels got cheers. Of course, that's 4,000 25+ year old male fans as opposed to 75,000 or so who will be at the show. Still, the company does expect Cena to be booed out of the building, so if it happens, nobody is going to be surprised. Shane McMahon was pushing to open the show doing the same role that Vince did, to stand in the ring as the host and perhaps introduce Aretha Franklin. Stephanie was trying to bury the idea to anyone who would listen. There will also be a dance contest of some sorts with people that will include Eugene, Fabulous Moolah, Mae Young and the return after maybe 15 years of the one-time Dr. of Style, Slick

If money in the bank is the first match, there has to be a good chance of the winner cashing it in after one of the championship matches tonight, right? Why else would you put it first? this may be just like when Edge faced Flair in the first match at NYR 2006 so he could rest and win the title as after the last match (or perhaps after the undertaker win).

Lord knows they can't actually add another MATCH or something. Why not put that dance garbage on the preshow and put that Battle Royale on the PPV itself?

MITB opening the show? That sounds like a terrible idea. I assumed we'd get Benoit/MVP opening just to get the crowd kinda going and maybe let Benoit retain to have a nice pop. Considering this match is opening and it's a bit too important to open, and Cena/HBK is closing when it's not important enough to close, whoever is laying this show out has to be as retarded as Eugene.

And if Cena/Michaels is going last, HBK better win the title or they will have a disaster on their hands.

Worked out fine last year.

If the plan is for Shawn Michaels to go over I really hope the have a new title ready for him by tomorrow night.

Might as well add my predictions:

Melina vs. Ashley: Don't care. Melina retains.

ECW Originals vs. New Breed: Originals win. Help from Foley who begins his "post-Wrestlemania" storyline that he's hinted.

The Great Khali vs. Kane: The only reason I see Khali winning is because of Kane's knee injury. I'd like to see Kane get a title run before he retires. He's a team player.

MVP vs. Chris Benoit: Benoit retains.

Money in the Bank: I'll go CM Punk. As someone else stated before, this type of match is designed to get someone like Punk over to the next level.

John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels: HBK puts on a great performance, proving he's still the Showstoppa, but Cena retains.

Bobby Lashley vs. Umaga, Battle of the Billionaires: Vince gets his head shaved. Duh.

Undertaker vs. Batista: Undertaker gets the title.

I hope this is the Wrestlemania where all the old guys go over. Finlay wins the MITB, Benoit retains, it comes down to Sabu and RVD and they just murder the other team, and Khali goes over in less than a minute after about 8 minutes wasted on his entrance.

*John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels for WWE title

I see this getting 35 minutes, including the match, with the actual match itself going around 25 minutes. It'll be really good to great, and I think anything less than **** will be considered a disappointment. It will likely be gimmick free for the most part, and Cena is good enough that in those types of matches he can be carried to the level of who his opponent is, and with Shawn Michaels as his opponent it'll mean the match should easily be really good, but like I said, anything less than a really great **** match will be considered disappointing. I'll say Cena retains clean with the FU.

*Batista vs. Undertaker for World title

This will need a ton of gimmicks, because Batista is terrible. It's laid out to be a "powerhouse brawl", which should hopefully play to Batista's only strength and that's his power moves. Because of the nature of the match, and that Batista is involved, it should not go more than 15 minutes, because anything longer than that runs the risk of exposing just how bad Batista really is and that Undertaker is carrying him. Anything other than Undertaker going over clean would be insane. Though, I expect Batista to be kept strong, not least because these two seem to be headlining the Smackdown post-WM house shows, so I can see him kicking out of the first tombstone before going down to the second.

*Bobby Lashley w/Donald Trump vs. Umaga w/Vince McMahon losing second gets his head shaved by referee Steve Austin

Is there anybody who seriously thinks Trump is getting shaved? Umaga is losing, Vince will try to get out of having his head shaved, eat a stunner for his troubles, and get shaved bald, with much comedy and greatness from the ensuing Vince expressions.

*Money in the Bank ladder match: C.M. Punk, Edge, Randy Orton, King Booker, Fit Finlay, Matt Hardy, Jeff Hardy, Mr. Kennedy

Mr Kennedy appears to be the favorite to win, and I'll pick him too, though Edge might also have a chance. Of the other six, The Hardy's, Booker, Punk and Finlay aren't winning for different reasons, most of which you can work out yourselves, and Orton might have had a slight chance, but I think the SI piece might have done enough to put those to rest.

*Chris Benoit vs. MVP for U.S. title

If Benoit is moving to Raw, then MVP wins. If not, then I expect MVP to win anyway, but it could go either way.

*Great Khali vs. Kane

*Melina vs. Ashley for women's title

*Tommy Dreamer & Sandman & Rob Van Dam & Sabu vs. Elijah Burke & Marcus Cor Von & Kevin Thorn & Matt Striker

It should be a fine match, nothing that good or bad, and it'll likely end with Burke getting the win for the New Breed. As for which Original drops the fall, you can make a case for any of them doing the job, so it's even money on which one does it.

It's a big event, obviously. So we should do another AIM Chat. Worked well for the Rumble. Already set one up.

Just invite yourself to TSMWM. Show starts in 55 minutes.