TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

25 Years Ago Today

This was a tremendous angle that truely merged Wrestling and Entertainment together in perfect synchronicity. I obviously wasn't alive to witness this first hand but of course, seen as much footage as possible and watched the documenturies and the Kaufman movie to get a good grasp of what it would have been like to actually witness this live.

We had something similar to this with Federline and Cena and while it worked in that regard, it didn't have that impact on either the wrestling business or the entertainment world either.

I've been re-reading Lawler's auto-biography recently and just passed the part regarding Kaufman. I only know of Kaufman by name from this, but the actual angle always intrigued me and I managed to catch footage of the match on one of the Classic Memphis shows they had produced over here for The Wrestling Channel in England. The two moves they actually did looked killer.

Something that truly couldn't be pulled off anywhere near as well ever again, since the end of the 'Kayfabe Era'.

Its the greatest celebrity angle ever done in the history of pro wrestling. Andy Kaufman was a natural heel it didn't matter if it was in the wrestling ring or at the night club working as Tony Clifton the man was a genius he knew how to work the crowd. People loved him as Lauka on the tv series Taxi and his short stints on SNL got laughs but when he was in Memphis working with Lawler he got everybody in the arena to boo him and not because he was simply the bad guy but because he was a jerk. Pure genius. There will never be another one like him ever.

The Lawler / Kaufman feud was great, but the thing is that the contemporary version of the feud ends with David Letterman. In reality, Kaufman more then overstayed him welcome on TV in Memphis, appearing on and off continuously until his declining health made him no longer capale of doing so.

Eh.

I don't want to say it because I would probably get banned for it.

Go for it.

One of the Classic SNLs showed footage of the whole incident- it was awesome.

I also remember reading about Andy that he definetly wore out his welcome in Memphs

"Just for the record, Lawler and Kaufman never sold out in Memphis. Their first show that got all the pub drew 8,000 at a time the promotion was averaging 6,000 per week. Andy's return engagements for a while drew a little above average, and eventually, well below average. Andy kept wanting to come back forever because he loved doing wrestling and Lawler loved him, but after some 2,500 houses, Lawler finally had to tell him the gig was over. It was an angle far more legendary ten years after it was over due to Comedy Central than it was when it took place."

Quoted from Meltzer on Wrestling Classics

"Just for the record, Lawler and Kaufman never sold out in Memphis. Their first show that got all the pub drew 8,000 at a time the promotion was averaging 6,000 per week. Andy's return engagements for a while drew a little above average, and eventually, well below average. Andy kept wanting to come back forever because he loved doing wrestling and Lawler loved him, but after some 2,500 houses, Lawler finally had to tell him the gig was over. It was an angle far more legendary ten years after it was over due to Comedy Central than it was when it took place."

Quoted from Meltzer on Wrestling Classics

Out of curiosity, what programs did sell out Memphis?

For my money, I'm tempted to say Cyndi Lauper was the best utilization of a celebrity in wrestling.

Lawler vs. The Dream Machine(Lawler's return from a broken leg)

Lawler/Mantell vs. Dundee/Landell(Lawler's return after losing a loser-leaves-town match)

Haven't seen figures for these but they look possibles

Lawler/Idol vs. The Road Warriors

Lawler vs. Bockwinkel(the 1 hour draw in 77)

Lawler vs. Savage(their first meeting in 82)

At it's peak Memphis averaged nearly 8,000 with about 9,000-10,000 for the cards with something special on them(loser-leaves-town, hair vs. hair or World Title)

A sell out would have been 11,000