TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scroby

oAo ECW Thread for 4/17/07

Maybe CM Punk will convince the other New Breed members to kick Elijah Burke out of the group. As revenge, and to make it personal, Burke recruits Colt Cabana and Ace Steel to join him to form a new group. When the time comes for a big match, CM Punk then turns on The New Breed and Colt and Ace turns on Burke, and we get a SCS reunion, and a huge "screw you" to the entire New Breed bunch. :P

Two straight shows built around CM Punk? Awesome. Punk is rocking right now. His expressions were tremendous all night but none more so then the final look on his face sitting by Burke and the crowd starts to chant his name and he has a slight smile creeping over him before going back to Burke.

I love the idea that Punk is basically letting the fans in on that he's fucking with the NB. Which will just lead to great stuff with Burke.

So first he was a Russian, now he is Itallian, I bet next month he will be French.

LA RES 2K7!!

I'll echo what everyone else is saying: Punk was awesome tonight. This new role will be awesome for him.

Oh lord. This CM Punk/New Breed/Originals angle is priceless. Best angle in wrestling right now in my opinion. From watching Punk's OVW work he's great at doing these nebulous gray areas. I thought him not explaining his reasons for joining was lame reading it, but the way it played out was gold. The whole point here is we are in the dark as to why he is doing what he's doing. Right now it's hard to say if he's just doing it to fuck over Burke and usurp him in the New Breed, with the only other intelligent member (Striker) understanding it and schmoozing with Punk. Or if he isn't even serious about being in the group and is just out to wreck it and cause turmoil.

By the way, RVD is seeming more and more motivated. I quite enjoyed his mic work tonight, especially the amusingly condescending line to Punk "Are you telling me you turned us down to join the....New Breed???" Oh, and he also sold the shoulder in that match with Burke for the most part. RVD is actually pretty good at selling the shoulder (as the Unforgiven 2001 match with Jericho shows). He just can't sell the leg for obvious reasons.

It's the best mainstream angle going right now not that the other two brands and TNA are giving much to challenge it. I was skeptical given the strange conclusion last week about where this was headed but not only do they have Punk shine even more by being the focus of two straight shows but the subtle actions he is using against NB will just get him more over then he was before because now he's adding a twist to his personality that wasn't quite there before. For the fans, he was just a guy with a cool look, a different gimmick and did cool kicks and strikes. Now, he's playing tremendous mind-games.

This is what Punk does best. Even better then the sXe angles because this is less heavy but still delivers. Burke is a great foil and since Corvon is a blockhead, he doesn't get it. Thorne is too spaced to figure it out and Striker will overthink everything. It's too early to say they did the right thing but tonight indicates that they get who Punk is.

Guest shoopster
I really like the new breed, adding punk stunned me, but I'm happy he is with them now . . .

Maybe this is leading to an RVD/CM Punk double turn and feud. The New Breed could grow tired of CM Punk's constant criticism, while at the same time RVD could do a worked shoot about how he carried a dead promotion for the last year and a half on his back and has nothing to show for it and he blames the ECW originals for not carrying their weight.

I skimmed through ECW this week. I watched all the Punk stuff, and there is a lot of potential for this angle. Punk has people talking, or wondering what the next move will be, and he is doing everything on camera like a pro.

I said this earlier but going through the segments again, I get that RVD vibe from 2001 with Punk. Obviously Burke is no Austin but the idea of a guy who in theory is a heel by aligning with the heel group but obviously over and playing it different from the other guys and becoming a natural charismatic leader by his presence alone with the actual leader growing more and more pissed about it. Only difference is that Punk plays it off better and we might actually see Punk get the last laugh with this one.

so did they change Guidos name to Nunzio for this one show so as to not piss off the Italian crowd by using the term "Guido"? anyhow good show here, though I am getting sick of seeing RVD wrestle Elijah EVERY week. the whole New breed angle leads to the same guys facing each other every week and that is getting old fast. of course theres not much left on the roster besides the originals and new breed (in fact just guido, snitsky, lashley, and balls mahoney by my count) and isnt it interesting how they never mentioned snitskys attack on Lashley after it happened, obviously it snot time for that feud yet, but youd htink at least Bobby would have attempted revenge by now.

punks perfomance tonight was awesome

I don't think Punk now is all that similar to RVD in 2001. Let's face it, RVD was essentially forced into scenarios storywise that he might not ordinarily have been in. The fact that he was from ECW and ECW was in the Alliance meant he was defacto Alliance too. I don't think there was much thought initially put into RVD when he first signed. RVD was too much of an amiable stoner to mess with Austin and Co. mentally. The crowd however truly took to RVD and was dying to see him turn on Austin and the Alliance for good, or at least go free agent.

The Punk angle now is more of a mystery angle. We knew essentially where RVD stood from the beginning (die hard ECW, thrown into an assembly of misfits and jobbers led by Austin, tried to make the best of it). The Punk/New Breed angle is the first angle in a while that is truly working some gray area since we don't really know where Punk is coming from. He can't be an ECW Original yet we are to think he has more respect for them than he does for the New Breed jobbers. But the Originals have lifestyles that clash with his own straight edge beliefs. And for once there are a variety of ways this can go and be satisfying:

--Punk could be sabotaging the New Breed since they were annoying him on a weekly basis.

--Punk could be trying to oust Burke a la The Rock/Faarooq and have a group of easily manipulated fools to do his bidding.

--Punk and Burke can coexist and keep feuding with the Originals.

This is what Punk does best. Even better then the sXe angles because this is less heavy but still delivers. Burke is a great foil and since Corvon is a blockhead, he doesn't get it. Thorne is too spaced to figure it out and Striker will overthink everything. It's too early to say they did the right thing but tonight indicates that they get who Punk is.

Surely you jest. His ROH work with his "I'm straight edge and I'm better than you" straight edge heel work is some of the best stuff I've ever seen/heard.

I know it's been said once or twice before, but ECW really needs a TV champ. If there's no belt (and let's face it, everyone BUT ECW guys are fighting for the ECW belt the last few months), what are the ECW guys wrestling for? Burke/Punk would make a hell of a tv champion; heck even thorne would be decent.

Guest robrabies
--Punk could be trying to oust Burke a la The Rock/Faarooq and have a group of easily manipulated fools to do his bidding.

"You let this be a lesson to you, you stupid piece of trash - there's a reason why the Rock don't ever want you to think that you were ever the leader of the Rock, 'cause the Rock is not only now the leader of the Nation of Domination, he's the Ruler of the Nation of Domination, and before I leave, lemme leave you with somethin'--" [ he kicks him a good one.] "Take that back to Haiti where you come from."

God I loved that.

Guest poilbrun
that chant while Punk was talking to Striker- are they chanting the instrumental to Seven Nation Army by White Stripes???!!!

Yes, that song was the opening song of the TV Show for the last football (or soccer if you prefer) world cup, won by Italy, so it has become like an anthem over there.

Those other OVW guys wish they had learned to speak Italian now.

The problem is that the fans loved him on Monday and when he went down the aisle on Tuesday, but started rightfully sh*tting on him when he started speaking: he made so many mistakes that it was obvious to anyone who speaks italian that he was not an Italian, which explains some of the boos.

Surely you jest. His ROH work with his "I'm straight edge and I'm better than you" straight edge heel work is some of the best stuff I've ever seen/heard.

Of course it was a fantastic angle but it took a incredible foil as well. His Summer of Punk angle was much more subtle and perfect method of being a heel. Factor in what he was doing in OVW as well and you'll see Punk is just as good if not better doing this type of character rather then having to resort to the sXe angle.

Guest poilbrun
They weren't on the show. I assume to put over that they were still afraid of Snitsky.

Maybe shooting the Timbaland video? The attack on Ashley last week might also explain why she will not be in this week's Smackdown?

Maybe this is leading to an RVD/CM Punk double turn and feud. The New Breed could grow tired of CM Punk's constant criticism, while at the same time RVD could do a worked shoot about how he carried a dead promotion for the last year and a half on his back and has nothing to show for it and he blames the ECW originals for not carrying their weight.

It would be funny if all this turned out to be RVD's idea to get Punk to join the NB to act as a mole and create chaos in the group until it falls apart from the inside out. Then at the big blowoff Punk turns on the NB and helps the Originals destroy the faction. RVD goes all "Bond villain" on us and cuts a huge promo about how the NB was Vince's idea on how ECW SHOULD be, and how the Originals are what ECW IS, and how Punk represents the true future of ECW: someone who's different from most of society (like the Originals) but has the talent to go as far as he wants in the world of WWE. He then puts over Punk as someone who can carry a promotion if given the chance and how he can be a franchise player.

I have reservations about RVD's ability to cut a promo like that in a completely serious tone (in this case his character works against him) but it could be awesome if pulled off correctly.

Yeah, Punk right now reminds me a lot of his OVW work under Heyman. He would work an amusing gray area there as well in the Albright feud. For instance, he ripped Albright off for the TV title, admitted to doing such, did this "You got Punk'd" catchphrase where he would refuse to shake someone's hand. Yet oddly enough once Albright snapped and whipped him with a belt Punk drew huge sympathy from the crowd.

It would be funny if all this turned out to be RVD's idea to get Punk to join the NB to act as a mole and create chaos in the group until it falls apart from the inside out. Then at the big blowoff Punk turns on the NB and helps the Originals destroy the faction. RVD goes all "Bond villain" on us and cuts a huge promo about how the NB was Vince's idea on how ECW SHOULD be, and how the Originals are what ECW IS, and how Punk represents the true future of ECW: someone who's different from most of society (like the Originals) but has the talent to go as far as he wants in the world of WWE. He then puts over Punk as someone who can carry a promotion if given the chance and how he can be a franchise player.

I have reservations about RVD's ability to cut a promo like that in a completely serious tone (in this case his character works against him) but it could be awesome if pulled off correctly.

"So, the "Boss man" was the one who wanted the New Breed to be over..." yadayaya. It'd be like his ONS I speech, but worse.

I still don't understand how they can run a promotion with the same 9-10 guys each week, with the champion not fighting any ECW guys, and no other belts to go for. I don't know how they're going to build to Monty and Lashley (based on the poster) for ONS 3 when Monty can't win tag matches and is a clear 3rd wheel behind Burke/Punk in the group. Extreme matches also would be nice once in a while.

Punk was the best thing about this week's show. The idea of a "rebel in the ranks" of the New Breed could be interesting.

Yeah, I agree that RVD and the Originals planting Punk as a mole isn't a real hot idea. Frankly, from a storyline perspective (and real life too) the Originals aren't bright enough to put together a scheme like this. RVD in particular has the persona of a laid back stoner. Maybe if Heyman was leading the group, or even Bill Alfonso, this angle would make sense.

If anyone is behind this angle it'd have to be Punk, since he's the only one on either side showing any smarts.