TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Quasar

Scientists predict next 193 years of Earth History

So all scientific advancement will stop, crops will decrease meaning less food more diasease but the population will go up at a higher rate, with people living just as long or longer somehow.

I am sorry but most of this just doesn't make the slightest bit of sense. We will apparently never use cars that consume less gasoline and no gasoline alternative will ever be created....okay.

It's all relative to oil production. If you want to talk about the advancement of technology, oil is EVERYTHING. cheap energy. Oil production will peak in the next decade or so, if it hasn't peaked already (as many scientists believe), and enter a terminal decline. less oil = less energy = less fancy stuff that does all the work for us = the end of modern agriculture = a lot of people starve to death. plus, you factor in global warming which will reduce food production and raise sea levels and you're looking at a significant reduction of the human population within the next 50-100 years.

but hey, we may get lucky and die before the worst of it happens. but probably not.

You're dumb.

Weather=/=climate

They can't even tell me for sure what the climate tomorrow will be like, so I'm skeptical towards articles such as these.

You live in North Carolina according to the thing under your avatar.

The climate tomorrow will be temperate. Or humid subtropical (Cfa) according to the Koppen Classification System.

It's all relative to oil production. If you want to talk about the advancement of technology, oil is EVERYTHING. cheap energy. Oil production will peak in the next decade or so, if it hasn't peaked already (as many scientists believe), and enter a terminal decline. less oil = less energy = less fancy stuff that does all the work for us = the end of modern agriculture = a lot of people starve to death. plus, you factor in global warming which will reduce food production and raise sea levels and you're looking at a significant reduction of the human population within the next 50-100 years.

but hey, we may get lucky and die before the worst of it happens. but probably not.

But once again, just looking at the advancement in Oil refinements in say, the last 25 years, this report still is going off if NOTHING changes which just basically goes against every thing that history has shown us. I am sure a forcast of the planet in 100 years during the Black Plauge would have been very grim if they just said "Everything will stay just the way it is"

But you are forgetting that "current events have officially killed off the future" isn't something new in the realm of science. This isn't the first time that people thought we had officially killed off the planet and it won't be the last. Human nature is to evolve and progress. And with all these doom and gloom reports, they always base it on us not doing so.

I am not saying Global Warming isn't a problem that needs attention. I am saying this "forcast" is bullshit.

But once again, just looking at the advancement in Oil refinements in say, the last 25 years, this report still is going off if NOTHING changes which just basically goes against every thing that history has shown us. I am sure a forcast of the planet in 100 years during the Black Plauge would have been very grim if they just said "Everything will stay just the way it is"

There is nothing that we can do to put more oil in the ground. No amount of advancements in oil refinery processes will stop oil production from peaking, though it might delay the peak for a time. the Black Plague is a completely different moment in history, I don't really see the connection.

But you are forgetting that "current events have officially killed off the future" isn't something new in the realm of science. This isn't the first time that people thought we had officially killed off the planet and it won't be the last. Human nature is to evolve and progress. And with all these doom and gloom reports, they always base it on us not doing so.

Yeah, well, this IS the first time that the human population is 6.5 billion people and growing exponentially. It IS the first time we've been able to directly affect the planet through our actions. until the industrial revolution we were relatively insignificant relative to the planet's equilibrium. it's when we got greedy and started exploiting as much energy as possible and multiplied in such numbers so that WE now dominate planet, and not the other way around. I'm not saying the human race will go extinct, because I agree, we are a pretty crafty ape. just incredibly short sighted thus far. hopefully our successors will have learned from our mistakes (oh wait, they'll have to, because there won't be any more fossil fuels in the ground to burn). that is providing that the amount of carbon dioxide we pump into the atmosphere doesn't turn the planet into something like Venus before they get the chance.

Also, the idea of this study is that this MIGHT happen if we do nothing, not that is GURANTEED to happen as prophecy.

The current Administration's way of handling this, however, is to do nothing. And, when they seem do anything at all, it is harmful means with the only ends being profit for a select few.

But feel free to disregard these findings as rubbish because the consequences detailed sound so drastic, though.

While we are rising quickly from the population of 6.5 billion, the prediction is that the population will top out at a shade above 10 billion by 2150. Let us not get carried away about the world population spiraling out of control. The number of 10 billion should be the ceiling. Add in the decreasing potency of sperm, and the developing world; well, developing in ways that will lower the birthrate, and you have a solid number to look at.

Here are the facts. I hope you guys are down with the ecological footprint.

In theory, a person in the world has 4.5 acres to work with. Used to produce food, shelter, and energy.

In the U.S.A., the average person uses 24 acres. And across the world, I believe the usage is 5.5 acres.

A good way to start would be, of course, for the average American to lower their usage of resources a significant amount. I suppose by the time 2150 rolls around, a person in the world would only have around three acres to work with. Yeah...

Also, the birthrate in the U.S. has gone down drastically in the last fifty years, yet where I live, everyone owns an SUV that can fit more than they produce. Does anyone have an idea why this is?

While we are rising quickly from the population of 6.5 billion, the prediction is that the population will top out at a shade above 10 billion by 2150.

Make that 2050. We're rising exponentially. There's a difference.

Guest Richard McBeef
I believe the poor should be blasted into space.

Invader3k is already pledging his support!

You know, we have the technology.

I don't buy it. We're due for a massssssssive pandemic on the scale of the black plague that reduces the world's population by 30%

Medicine is too advanced now for anything of that magnitude, unless we just wipe out poor people.

Actually, it's because medicine is so advanced and freely available now that we could actually be wiped out by a super bug that is immune to everything we have. It's why they're trying to stop the free flow of anti biotics. The recent Bird Flu outbreak that had everyone worried since we didn't have a cure readily available.

Also, the birthrate in the U.S. has gone down drastically in the last fifty years, yet where I live, everyone owns an SUV that can fit more than they produce. Does anyone have an idea why this is?

It makes my penis look bigger

the cost of reducing CO2 emissions to a stable level will be about .12% of the annual gross domestic product

from recently released IPCC report