TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

ROH to hit PPV

From ROH Wrestling:

INTERNATIONAL WRESTLING PHENOMENON RING OF HONOR INKS STATESIDE TELEVISION DEALS

WITH iN DEMAND, TVN AND ECHOSTAR

PPV/VOD Distribution Deals Bring ROH into 50 Million Households

New York, May 3, 2007 - Ring Of Honor Wrestling (ROH), in association with G-Funk Sports & Entertainment, has concluded programming and distribution deals for PPV and VOD wrestling cards with iN DEMAND Networks, TVN and EchoStar Communications Corporation’s DISH NetworkTM, making the critically-acclaimed ROH brand available for the first time ever to approximately 50 million American households. The agreement calls for a card every 60 days from shows both stateside and abroad, and will premiere July 1. A total of six cards are planned throughout ‘07/’08. ROH owner Cary Silkin made the announcement today with G-Funk’s President Ken Gelman. The debut event, entitled “Respect Is Earned,” will be taped May 12 in New York City from the Grand Ballroom of the Manhattan Center, and will feature a glistening array of talent from Japan, England, the U.S. and Mexico.

Long revered by a loyal underground fan base, the Philadelphia-based ROH—currently seen on Canadian, British and Japanese TV—appeals to the disenfranchised wrestling fan fed up with storylines which seem to take precedence over the kind of powerful ring competition that ROH specializes in. ROH, in fact, is seen to have the highest level of athleticism in its field today, which recently culminated in a sweep of the 2006 Wrestling Observer awards for “Most Outstanding Wrestler,” “Best Brawler,” “Best Major Wrestling Show” (ROH took four of its Top 10) and “Best Booker.”

“Fans around the world now know that our brand of action is, indeed, the highest-flying, hardest-hitting most daring and acrobatic action presented today,” says Mr. Silkin. “We are thrilled that we can finally show a televised audience what our crowds have known for the last six years…that ROH harkens back to an earlier era of wrestling where authenticity still counted for something. There’s a magic at our shows that I, as a wrestling fan, had all but given up on.”

G-Funk Sports and Entertainment will be handling all marketing and promotion for the wrestling programs, including creation and launch of an affiliate website on May 15, www.rohaffiliates.com, which will contain easy-to-implement marketing materials and all event information. Each show will also be supported by a range of targeted national consumer advertising and promotion.

According to Mr. Gelman, “Ring Of Honor already has the respect and enthusiastic following of legions of fans around the world through their live events, but represents a fresh new entry into the world of televised wrestling. These distinctive programs will prove a welcome change-of-pace for audiences and a popular new option for cable operators and satellite providers as they expand their transactional offerings.”

About iN DEMAND Networks

iN DEMAND Networks is the pioneer and world leader in providing exciting entertainment delivered through television’s most innovative technologies. iN DEMAND delivers programming through four distinct areas of business: Pay-Per-View (PPV), Video-On-Demand (VOD), Subscription Video-On-Demand (SVOD) and high-definition (HD) programming. Howard TV (SVOD) is now the exclusive TV home of Howard Stern. PPV programming includes first-run movies, mega events and the digital out-of-market subscription sports packages. VOD includes blockbuster movies and boxing, mixed martial arts and concert events. The company also operates the MOJO network, formerly INHD, a pioneer in HD. The company's shareholders are Comcast iN DEMAND Holdings, Inc., Cox Communications Holdings, Inc., and Time Warner Entertainment - Advance/Newhouse Partnership. Further information about the company can be found at www.indemand.com.

About TVN Entertainment Corporation

TVN Entertainment Corporation, the leading television on-demand company, works with every major studio, network and telecommunications video provider in North America. TVN is the preferred provider of original on-demand programs and networks. TVN supports an open, advanced technology platform, and offers the most comprehensive, end-to-end solution for licensing, managing, distributing and marketing on-demand content to virtually any platform. For more information about TVN’s products and services, please visit www.TVN.com.

About Echostar Communications Corporation

EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) has been a leader for more than 26 years in satellite TV equipment sales and support worldwide. The Company's DISH Network is the fastest-growing pay-TV provider in the country since 2000 and currently serves more than 13.1 million satellite TV customers. DISH Network offers a premier line of industry-leading Digital Video Recorders (DVRs) and hundreds of video and audio channels as well as the most national HD and International channels in the U.S., Interactive TV, Latino and sports programming. DISH Network also provides a variety of package and price options including the lowest all-digital price in America and the DishDVR Advantage Package. EchoStar is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 300 company. Visit www.echostar.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474) for more information.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idgzsd6tjUU

This is excellent news for ROH.

The ROH braintrust seem sensible enough only to get involved with something where the results of failure would be relatively small. The On-Demand PPV can only do good things for ROH raising the publics awareness of it and such.

From PWI:

With the advent of PPV for the company, Ring of Honor has signed 12 wrestlers to contracts. I don't have the names confirmed at this point as ROH sources declined to comment on the performers signed. I can confirm that the deals are simply to prevent the performers from being signed by TNA or World Wrestling Entertainment for the duration of the deals. The contracts do not prevent the talents from working other independent events, from being seen on DVDs released by other companies or claim ownership of character names and likenesses. They are simply a way for the promotion to protect their assets.

That's arguably the best news. The last thing ROH needs is any more talent losses at the top of the card heading into something like this. Do TNA still have a working relationship with New Japan? Because if so, that'd theoretically mean the NOAH and Dragon Gaters wouldn't need the contracts (except in the unlikely event WWE signed them up).

Well, there are 12 guys (other than Morishima) featured in the hype video. It seems likely it would be them, especially if they're using them to promote with.

Jay,

Mark,

Danielson,

Delirious,

McGuiness,

Claudio,

Whitmer,

Strong,

Davey Richards,

Brent Albright,

Rocky Romero,

Erick Stevens

Mind blowing. It's not as if ROH will suddenly be a #2 promotion from this but from a business aspect, this is tremendous. Unlike Gabe's mentor, he won't lose it after getting a big deal.

So I didn't read anything about Comcast airing the PPV's? Will comcast air the ppv's and will I be able to order the PPV's in California?

Well, they certainly one upped Chikara and their Pod Per View.

More from PWI:

There will be some slight production upgrades for the PPV events, which are expected to be priced in the $10-$15 range, dependent on the carrier. ROH's usual editing process will take place for the event, which leads me to believe they will edit the show into a 2 hour PPV broadcast and also edit the complete show for a complete DVD release at a later time. ROH is already going through the process of making sure that they also have proper legal clearances for all music they currently use as performers' theme music so that they can remain the same on the PPV broadcasts.

I would expect that this announcement will likely lead to the departure of the remaining TNA contracted wrestlers who appear for Ring of Honor, most notably Homicide, but have yet to confirm that. ROH sources did confirm that TNA was not aware of the announcement before they went live with it on their own website this afternoon.

So I didn't read anything about Comcast airing the PPV's? Will comcast air the ppv's and will I be able to order the PPV's in California?

In Demand is Comcast's PPV service, so it's likely.

im' really happy for them. But I'd much rather buy a 20 dollar dvd that I can watch over and over.

You can just record the PPV and watch it there. The more and more I look over the development of this deal, I'm really impressed by how skilled Cary is. They'll retain their core demographic as DVDs will still be the key driving point of the product but this expands their name and possibly draws new fans to purchase older material. 5/12 will the first show on PPV and that's an incredible crowd and venue with a stacked roster set up.

I'm really glad they have gotten contracts signed to the key players. No worries about TNA and WWE yanking their talent away.

Guest PimpDaddySarp

What's nice about what ROH is doing this is while the shows will be on delay, the DVDs will not be released until the PPV has run. Further, the PPV's will be available for a month at a time, so impulse buyers can watch them at their leisure. Also, the PPV's will be two hours long, so the full version of the shows will only be available on DVD. The PPV's will run without edited matches or anything, though, so those buying the PPV's don't have to worry about that.

This is a low-risk venture and I'm glad ROH has made this important step.

Credit PWTorch audio interview with Gabe for the information above.

Seems good...Gabe knows how to run his buisness...

However...

Anyone who means nearly anything to people outside of the net will not buy it.

They don't have the talent at this point.

Better company? Yeah...probably so...

But Joe ain't on this show, AJ aint on this show, Daniels aint on that show...Aries isnt even on this show.

...cause they can't be...

This is a show for people who will click on this thread.

People who like wrestling.

I'll be ordering. It'll be great. Won't draw a dime.

Less than TNA.

Sorry cousin

A few more notes about the deal taken from RoH's message boards.

Torch has an interview up with Gabe and he spoke on the PPV deal.

Here are some notes from that:

- It will be first run stuff but will be released on DVD after the PPV airs.

- The shows will run at numerous times all through the month.

- There will be minor production upgrades that might not even be noticable. You won't start seeing pyro or anything.

- iNdemand hasn't put any pressure on them to obtain a certain ammount of buys.

- They are doing this to try and get new fans.

- The product won't be changing in any way.

- This deal is easy for them. All they have to do is send a tape of the show in and they play it.

- The cost will be between 10 and 15 dollars.

- ROH's buissness plan isn't changing in any way. They have no intrest in competing with WWE or TNA.

- The first show will be the type of show where if you have never seen ROH before you won't be like totally confused or anything.

- He wouldn't make a comment on their current relationship with TNA and thier talents being on the PPV's but he said he wants to focus on ROH and ROH talent.

- They have signed over 10 guys to contracts.

- Future PPV events might not all be taped from the same venue. There are tons of options for the future such as spotlighting a certain wrestler and tons more.

- The PPV's will be 2 hours.

- No matches will be edited just certain ones will be cut out.

- They are locked in for the 6 events so we won't see them do like 2 and then get canceled.

The most I can hope for is that they don't edit out great matches to try and get the viewer to purchase the DVDs, just stick to cutting the terrible matches.

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes before TNA try and sign up people to exclusive deals before ROH can.

It'll also be interesting to see how the booking of ROH as a whole changes, ie. the non-PPV events. Obviously there have always been shows that were promoted as 'bigger' shows than others. They'll be relying on the DVD revenue from the intermediate shows too and no doubt they'll do some promotion on the PPVs to go to the website. But, the big matches are going to be reserved for the PPV shows, naturally. I guess in reality, it won't make a difference to anyone who doesn't attend live events because everyone avoids the weaker shows on DVD anyway. But it'll be interesting, whether they use the non-PPV events to focus more on testing newer talent or whether they continue running as is.

That was pretty much expected by everyone.

Shame Aries and Homicide aren't getting written out of ROH properly. Aries vs Strong is one of the bigger things they have going on at the moment.

I guess as someone who's never seen a full ROH show before, and has been reluctant to shell out 20 bucks for a DVD, I'd be interested in this, especially if a PPV only costs around 10 bucks. It would be something to do on a boring afternoon or evening when nothing else is happening.

Aries should leave TNA. He obviously hates it there, and TNA management doesn't care about the man's opinion, out spoken or not.

There is a rumor that for the 10+ guys who they actually signed to contracts were also given medical benefits as part of the deal.