TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
milliondollarchamp

Over-rated Bullshit Movies

Borat: This guy's funny because...?

Jackass (both of them): Title fits both the performers AND the audience!

American Pie (All of them): A kid fucks a pie and...yeah...

Scarface- I seriously dont get it. It's a pretty good gangster movie, but why all the worship by celebs and entertainers? Goodfella's is more realistic and is much much better.

I've never understood the attraction to the big, historical epic types of movies. Gladiator, Braveheart, and Master & Commander are three examples of critically acclaimed (and well-liked) movies that I just find boring to the extreme.

Pirates of the Carribean and Saw. I'm glad I didn't pay for those two piece of shit movies.

Yeah i dont get the love for POTC either. Or the Lord of The Rings films for that matter.

Scarface definately. It is ridiculously long (way too long) and honestly, take away abunch of great one liners and a memorable ending you have nothing. Yet people act like its the greatest film ever. Its a decent mindless flick.

Oh, yeah. Anything that Larry Clark does. that guy fucking blows. Kids, Bully, Ken Park, that dumb caveman shit. All those movies sucked, and he is a horrible director.

The Pacino Scarface is also a lesser remake of an actual classic (which is coming out on DVD on the 22nd at long last). Speaking of Scarface one of the moments that foreshadowed the demise of Suncoast to me was when I went there asking for The Last Boy Scout and they didn't have it. Then the idiot employee stated "Yeah we don't have that many old movies. People come in sometimes asking for the original Scarface with Al Pacino, but we don't have it." After that statement I felt like never going into a Suncoast again.

Wanna know overrated? How about The Exorcist? I have never found that movie scary in the least, in fact I find it comically bad. And the stuff that doesn't involve the actual exorcism and Linda Blair being crazy is a crashing bore.

I'm bound to get some shit over this but I have never especially cared for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Around the time where Jim Carrey starts trying to hide from the procedure I stopped caring.

Donnie Darko. And I like and own this movie, but so many people pretend its the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The Illusionist - This and the prestige came out and people were saying how great both of the movies were, and there were debates on which movie was better. I saw the Prestige and loved it so I figured the Illusionist must be really good for people to argue that it is better than this. Then I saw it....

What the flipping fuck are people talking about. It is a ALRIGHT movie at best with some of the worse accents this side of Halle Berry in X-Men. There was nothing spectacular about that movie. At all.

- All the LOTR movies (Tedious as hell for the most part, Two Towers was decent, and the 3rd one especially put me to sleep)

- Blade Runner (Solid but not an all-time classic)

- Shakespeare In Love (Not bad but beating out so many superior movies for the Oscar was ludicrous)

I don't see how anyone can complain about any of the LOTR series...okay...the last 36 hours of the Return of the King, but besides that....

The first two were just extremely solid movies with great pacing.

Plus Boromir had the most gangsta ass death ever. How can you hate on those movies.

how can Blade Runner, a movie considered a cult flick, also be considered overrated. If it's cullt, that means the majority of the people hated it or didn't get it.

how can Blade Runner, a movie considered a cult flick, also be considered overrated. If it's cullt, that means the majority of the people hated it or didn't get it.

I guess the same could be said for Darko.

How is Blade Runner a cult flick? It's a pretty well-known movie that's generally considered a classic.

And I found both the first and third (ESPECIALLY the third) LOTR films tedious and quite boring. Second one was pretty good.

If you ask 100 people if they have seen Blade Runner, I bet you get 10 that say yes.

Return of the King is only tedious around the end...because there are like 4 different possible endings that it goes through before the credits roll. The rest of the flick is almost solid action.

Fight Club (It's decent, but whenever people call it the best movie ever, I kind of shake my head.)

Borat (Had one hilarious part in "The Fight" and couple chuckles here and their but overall I didn't think it was that funny. It kind of got annoying by the end.)

Lost in Translation comes to mind.

Could not agree more.

Jackass? Really now? Does anyone ever go on about what a great film it is? I don't know how a movie most people write off as "meh" can be consudered overrated.

2001 does it for me. I know the guy was artsy and whatnot, but too many slower than shit boring moments

How could I not remember to list Lost in Translation?

Here is one that also might piss people off: Shawshank Redemption. This is because I consider it a bit overrated. I even think it's a good movie, but I think people have gone off the deep end regarding this flick. On imdb.com it is #2 of all time. I mean shit is there anyone who actually thinks The Shawshank Redemption is the 2nd best movie ever made? I mean if it was in the top 250 somewhere that would be fine, like maybe #134 or something with an 8.2 rating. But #2? That is supposed to be where stuff like Citizen Kane, Casablanca, and Godfather reside.

Eh...I think Lost in Translation is great. Nice atmosphere, Bill is incredible and Scarlett was still sexy in a real woman way. Great understated romance and some very funny scenes.

I'll throw in Hard Candy. Incredibly annoying performances, by no means disturbing or suspenseful. Great set up, weak developments and pay off.

Boondock Saints-Outside of DaFoe's human cartoon act, this movie is ass. Crap action sequences, repetitive episodic layout that never seems to develop the characters or story, grows tiresome quick.

Godfather II-Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Seeing Tokyo Fist and Bullet Ballet kind of ruins Fight Club for me. Fight Club is by no means a rip off but Shinya manages to cover the same ground so much better.

Citizen Kane... I loved the cinematography but story wise... I was almost falling asleep at parts.

Cast Away... Seriously, how did this get so hyped up? Long, boring, and it's just Tom Hanks on an island outside of the start and end (and the ending was draggy too).

Napoleon Dynamite. You can't call it a cult classic since everybody and their dog quotes the movie (and it is very quotable), but people seem to forget that the movie isn't even the least bit funny.

How could I not remember to list Lost in Translation?

Here is one that also might piss people off: Shawshank Redemption. This is because I consider it a bit overrated. I even think it's a good movie, but I think people have gone off the deep end regarding this flick. On imdb.com it is #2 of all time. I mean shit is there anyone who actually thinks The Shawshank Redemption is the 2nd best movie ever made? I mean if it was in the top 250 somewhere that would be fine, like maybe #134 or something with an 8.2 rating. But #2? That is supposed to be where stuff like Citizen Kane, Casablanca, and Godfather reside.

Citizen Kane is great because it was before its time cinematography, but otherwise was pretty run of the mill. Thats the same reason I love Birth of a Nation. The cinematography was GREAT but the story outright sucked. Shawshank was great because it was the perfect length (you would be hard pressed to see something that didn't belong) had great performances by everyone in the film, the cinematography was great....whats not to love about the film. Whats wrong with it to not conisder it one of the best?

I have no argument against Casablanca.

Donnie Darko. And I like and own this movie, but so many people pretend its the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The Illusionist - This and the prestige came out and people were saying how great both of the movies were, and there were debates on which movie was better. I saw the Prestige and loved it so I figured the Illusionist must be really good for people to argue that it is better than this. Then I saw it....

What the flipping fuck are people talking about. It is a ALRIGHT movie at best with some of the worse accents this side of Halle Berry in X-Men. There was nothing spectacular about that movie. At all.

Donnie Darko is great because it requires some actual thought by the viewer, otherwise its one of the more confusing movies ever even if you watch it 2 or 3 times.

I laughed my ass off at Borat the first time, but it was MUCH less funny the second time around. I don't know if it's because I knew what was going to happen and how the "victim" was going to react to Borat or if it was because I was really tired when I watched it again, but it just wasn't very funny the second time.

Napoleon Dynamite wasn't funny, but if you didn't laugh at the guy shooting the cow in front of the school kids, you need your head checked.

As for my pick for this topic: Anchorman. Funny movie, but not THAT funny. It's not even Ferrell's best movie.