TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
milliondollarchamp

Over-rated Bullshit Movies

Have to agree with the comments on Citizen Kane. The cinematography cannot be praised enough, but the story and Kane himself is not as engaging as many people believe it to be.

Well I enjoyed all of the LOTR Films...But if you're gonna say LOTR...You must add the Harry Potter movies....I mean really...Kids today are total losers....When I was a kid...All Goosebumps got was a little series on FOX....A Goosebumps series of movies would've owned..Especially when the DVD came out and you got to pick which way you wanted the film to go...

The Pacino Scarface is also a lesser remake of an actual classic (which is coming out on DVD on the 22nd at long last). Speaking of Scarface one of the moments that foreshadowed the demise of Suncoast to me was when I went there asking for The Last Boy Scout and they didn't have it. Then the idiot employee stated "Yeah we don't have that many old movies. People come in sometimes asking for the original Scarface with Al Pacino, but we don't have it." After that statement I felt like never going into a Suncoast again.

The original Scarface is on DVD already. It came packaged with the Deluxe Gift Set dealy of the 80's Scarface.

Oh hell I got Last Boy Scout soon after that but had to order from Amazon. As usual I couldn't find it anywhere when I WANTED the movie, but once I got it I found it at every store. And yeah, I knew Scarface (1932) was out with that box set but I meant as a solo release it's coming out May 22. I'm glad since it's such a great movie and deserves its own separate release.

My comment on Citizen Kane brought on some interesting comments. And truth be told, I agree (I just mentioned some all time classic movie, tossing a title out there). I've honestly never really found the characters or story very compelling. Taking a look at that IMDB top 250 I can make a case for a lot of this stuff being overrated. I enjoy The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly as much as the next guy, but is it honestly the 4th best movie of all time? Or on the Leone front, I don't think I'd put Once Upon a Time in the West as high as it is either (#21).

Again, this isn't to say I don't think those are good movies, but it's kind of deranged that revisionist spaghetti westerns with dubbed voices are ahead of the best John Wayne westerns (Searchers, Red River, etc.).

Marvin, Darko doesn't require deep thought. It wasn't a deeply complex movie. Just need to pay attention. It's an alright movie that is hit or miss at points. I haven't seen anyone claim it as the greatest movie ever.

I never watched Dynamite beyond the first 20 minutes because I could tell it was going nowhere. Other over-rated stuff to be included are any of the Kevin Smith movies. They are fine enough movies to pass the time (and I even slightly enjoyed Jersey Girl) but Smith isn't a genius. He's a fat comic geek, so it makes sense he has a large fanbase but he isn't a brilliant director.

"Crash" was fucking terrible. I learned nothing from it except intolerance for bad movies that get a "Wow, this really makes me think..." reaction from people with half a brain.

Oh, and Donnie Darko is awful, too.

The hate for Scarface, one of the most brilliant films ever, is astounding.

"Especially when the DVD came out and you got to pick which way you wanted the film to go..."

I just did a film like this for one of my finals.

Boondock Saints-Outside of DaFoe's human cartoon act, this movie is ass. Crap action sequences, repetitive episodic layout that never seems to develop the characters or story, grows tiresome quick.

Exactly what I thought of when I saw this thread.

Wedding Crashers

Old School

Anchor Man

I liked Crash and Lost in Translation but both are massivly overated.

Napleon Dynamite was the shit until it got quoted by everyone to death (I'm really guility as anyone on this). I don't blame pepole who didn't see it during its run in theatres for hating it.

Lost In Translation. That is such an utter piece of garbage, but gets a pass from people in love with Scarlett Johansson.

Truth be told, I'm probably far more in love with Murray. :)

Sophia is surprisingly capable and Scarlett is easy on the eyes, but Bill is the one that really makes the movie.

Ive got a lot of love for Napoleon Dyanimte, i think its really funny.

Other over-rated stuff to be included are any of the Kevin Smith movies. They are fine enough movies to pass the time (and I even slightly enjoyed Jersey Girl) but Smith isn't a genius. He's a fat comic geek, so it makes sense he has a large fanbase but he isn't a brilliant director.

I cant agree with this at all. Ok, Mallrats and JASBSB werent great films, but you cannot knock Clerks and Chasing Amy. They are great films and Dogma makes a very good point.

I agree with Lost In Translation, my brother loved that film and i can never work out why.

LOTR sucked.

Crash was a bit shit.

Donnie Darko is a good film, but i have love for it because i wrote a paper on it for A Level Media Studies.

And i really like Anchorman, and Wedding Crashers for that matter.

The Spider-Man movies. By the numbers super-hero films with one of the worst actresses in the world playing a prominent role. I didn't go in expecting Godfather II, but with the hype, I at least expected The Corruptor.

Crash. Thought it was ok but the film is miscasted and the message is forced.

I didn't think MillionDollar Baby was that great either.

I just couldn't get into Wedding Crashers. I came in with some high hopes though, since I enjoy Vaughn and Wilson and I had heard some good word of mouth.

I agree with Wedding Crashers, while I enjoyed it, I didn't think it was great. And hearing people say it was better then the 40 Year Old Virgin just makes no sense.

Add me on to the Napleon Dynamite haters. I got like 4 giggles out of the whole movie. And when someone says "you don't understand it" makes me want to cut their throats. I understood it...and it wasn't funny

I just couldn't get into Wedding Crashers. I came in with some high hopes though, since I enjoy Vaughn and Wilson and I had heard some good word of mouth.

Agreed...the first half hour or so was solid, not great but solid but the rest just fell flat IMO with the exception of Will Ferrell's cameo.

The Constant Gardener. I feel asleep the first time and turned it off the second.

I'm surprised Anchor Man is being called overrated. I don't know anyone who likes that film. The only time I laughed was "Go fuck yourself, San Diego."

Add me on to the Napleon Dynamite haters. I got like 4 giggles out of the whole movie. And when someone says "you don't understand it" makes me want to cut their throats. I understood it...and it wasn't funny

What the hell is there to not understand about Napoleon Dynamite? People playing that card for Donnie Darko I can at least fathom, but Napoleon Dynamite?

Will I be hated on for mentioning Dreamgirls here? then again I hate musicals as a general rule (well except for South Park I guess) , not saying it sthe worst movie ever but it was so over-hyped you cant help but be underwhelmed, plus the acting isnt as great as its made out to be (except for Jamie who again plays a great role and Eddie has a few funny moments here and there but overall lame, why is Hudson getting som much pimping, her "acting" wasnt that great sure she can sing, but does that make it oscar-worthy?

ok Im bracing for the flaming, sorry :)

ND was kind of dissapointing to me. not a fav of mine but ok in parts, and I enjoyed Uncle Rico and Kip's stuff more than anything else (plus the part where Pedro shaves his head cuz he felt kind of hot)

Office Space was short and not particularly clever or funny. It wasn't bad, but it seems like some view it as some sort of brilliant achievement. Clerks was very much the same way. Although I thought it was decent, it's another movie that seems to be viewed as a masterpiece by some.