TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Atticus Chaos

Most shocking award snubs?

I hated seeing Robbins beat Watanabe in 2004. But what can you do when your competition has hundreds of critics blowing their loads over his performance. I saw both films and didn't think Tim did shit until

he was about to die.

Saving Private Ryan losing to that god awful Shakespeare In Love for best picture.

It was Harvey Weinstein's chance to get an Oscar. You know he pulled some strings.

A Face in the Crowd/especially Andy Griffith didn't get nominated for anything because Elias Kazan was involved in the whole Communist thing.

Also Arrested Development should have swept every awards show ever and should still be doing it, regardless of it being on or off the air in whatever fantasy world I choose to live in.

Holly Hunter in the Piano over Angela Bassett in whats Love got to do with it.

Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction losing to Cher in Moonstruck.

Julia Roberts over Ellen Burstyn in Requiem for a Dream.

Angela Bassett's entire career has been one giant snub. I even thought she was brilliant in "Strange Days", how the hell can you make a line as cheesy "Wake up...this is real time!" not only work but be moving. Too bad, she couldn't get the Storm role but in the long run that might have been blessing.

If she had played Storm, I doubt she would have demanded to have been the leader of the X-Men. Maybe she would have even refused to say the infamous "Toad struck by lightning" bit.

I never saw the movie myself but I remember people making a big deal about The Passion of the Christ not getting nominated for any of the big awards.

Personally I think that Sin City was snubbed big time when it was nominated for best adapted screen play when they are word for word and scene for scene with the books.

how'd it do in the cinematography type categories? costumes? the visual stuff? It's one of the most stunning visual movies I've ever seen...and most of it is freaking black and white. That's how good it is.

Guest Vitamin X

Sin City winning for cinematography would be like 300 winning for set design next year.

I think Million Dollar Baby winning over the Aviator was a tremendous snub, even if Scorsese got his Oscar this year with the Departed anyways.

Kubrick getting snubbed for both Clockwork Orange (to William Friedkin's French Connection, which is a great film, though) and 2001: Space Odyssey (to.. Carol Reed's Oliver?!) or not even getting a nod for Full Metal Jacket.

I second the Giamatti snub for Sideways, too. He could've even won that year. Same with Jim Carrey for Eternal Sunshine.

Guest TheFabulousJakey
how'd it do in the cinematography type categories? costumes? the visual stuff? It's one of the most stunning visual movies I've ever seen...and most of it is freaking black and white. That's how good it is.

Sin City didn't get ANY technical nominations, sad to say.

I also thought Kill Bill should have received nominations for the screenplay (both editions), and V2 definitely should have given Uma Thurman and David Carradine nominations.

I also thought Kill Bill should have received nominations for the screenplay (both editions), and V2 definitely should have given Uma Thurman and David Carradine nominations.

Now you guys are just getting ridiculous.

Carradine deserved a nod for his role a bill in V2. That superman speech was enough alone.

Uma...great performance but come the fuck on.

Rodriguez quit the DGA over Sin City, which probably pissed enough people off that Sin City didn't have a chance of getting nominated.