TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyBlaze

Where does Kobe Go?

We are not talking about trading for a pretty good player here. We are talking about trading for a hall of fame talent in his Prime.

The suns, yeah, i honestly felt they have been the best team in the league for the last two years and circumstances have led to them losing in series. But so what. We are talking about a world leage offensive player, good help defender, added with a incredibly potent offense. I know you can use it as a guage, but Kobe on the All-star team this year was a quick glimpse into what a Kobe/Nash Backcourt could be.

Same with the Bulls and the Nets. Yeah, they could be getting better and they could one day reach something or other, but you can win RIGHT now with this guy, AND you can get a ridiculous amount of ticket sales, national coverage, and a deadly clutch performer. If you can't make a decent team and add Kobe work, you don't deserve to be a coach in the NBA honestly.

Once again, I don't even like the guy but there should be 29 teams on the phone with the Lakers right now and if there isn't whoever the GM of that team is should be fired by tommorrow.

But who is going to trade for him?

Suns: No way. You can make a fairly reasonable claim that they were robbed of a Finals berth this year by an antiquated rule, and even then they almost pulled it out. Putting Kobe into Nash's distribution system might screw things up if Kobe feels like holding onto it. Combined with the possibility of him going toxic, and I think they'll be a big "Pass" on the Kobe Train.

Bulls: I suppose, but I think they are close to what they need to be. They had it on the Pistons for two games, and almost pulled it to within 7. I'm not sure they are going to want to sacrifice a bunch of players who did pretty well and got a lot of good playoff experience.

Nets: I can see this one, actually. I think out of the three teams here, the Nets are stagnating while the Suns are peaking and the Bulls are rising. That's still kinda costly, but Ripper does make a good point on that lineup. I just wonder if Frank can get the most out of what could be a really good starting 5.

I dont know if you can count on Nachbar (a career journeyman before this year) and Krstic (recovering from major knee surgery) to make up a solid starting 5. Mikki Moore is also the quintessential journeyman having a break out year. What are the chances he repeats that.

They play for the Nets. Being journey men doesn't matter when you play with a great point guard that can play to your strengths. Nothing about Mikki Moore this year should suprise anyone. He has always had a fairly consisntant jump shot and has always been a good finisher at the basket. Nachbar has always been a good three point shooter with his feet set and can make a occasional drive to the basket exciting. They will be decent fodder on another team but will be what we saw out of them this year with the Nets. As for Krstic, remove him and plug in Josh Boone then. Once again, soft hands, a bill wennington range jumper and ability to finish around the basket is all you need to succed with jason kidd at the point.

I'm listening to him on Dan Patrick right now. He sounds almost depressed. Says he would waive his no trade clause, and play anywhere the Lakers traded him.

I'm listening to him on Dan Patrick right now. He sounds almost depressed. Says he would waive his no trade clause, and play anywhere the Lakers traded him.

If that is the case, the hell yeah, Billy Knight. get on the phone, unload those two lottery picks and anyone not named Joe Johnson.

Of course Billy won't trade for Kobe because he isn't 6'9"....or a sf.

Good thing he said that he'd play anywhere he got traded to. Now let the bidding war begin.

With the exception that they are in the same division, I could see Phoenix as a good trade partner. Marion and Stoudemire are both supposedly going on the block this summer. Seems like they could swing something based around those guys.

I don't get why the Lakers would want to keep Kobe in their own division. I'd think they'd want to send him to the Eastern Conference just for the sake of not having to potentially deal with him in the playoffs.

If the Lakers trade Kobe, they won't have to worry about seeing anyone in the playoffs for a while. He's the best player in the NBA right now and no one (or even two) slightly lesser player(s) will do more with that deadweight team than he did.

Anyway, while Kobe may be whining a lot, let's not let that overshadow the huge consequences if he gets moved. Like when Shaq got traded a couple years ago, any team Kobe goes to automatically becomes a contender. I won't say an automatic championship because the Spurs will still be around, but adding a superstar like Kobe would make any team better.

I think the proposed Nets trade for Carter and RJ sounds like the best deal. That's as good a trade as LA can get for Kobe, and it probably gets the Nets out of the East again. I would like this deal because Kidd deserves a ring for all his work with the Nets, and Kobe would definitely put him in good position to get it.

I don't see the Suns deal happening. I doubt the Lakers will settle for just Marion, but I can't imagine the Suns parting with Amare. He's the perfect "center" for the Suns system, so he probably doesn't go anywhere. You could also make the case Kobe doesn't really offer anything the Suns are looking for with their current setup. They have tons of shooters and a clutch game-changer already, though not as dominant as Kobe.

The Clippers boat has sailed I'm afraid. If he signed with them two years ago, they probably would've won the title in 06. Now, though, with Cassell aging rapidly, Livingston having serious question marks about his health and the rest of the team just kind of stagnating, I don't see the other LA team having the pieces for a trade without giving up Brand. Getting him as a FA would've been perfect, but a trade is much harder.

Another option that hasn't been discussed yet is Dallas. Here's a team that's never quite lived up to expectations and is trying to avoid becoming the Sacramento Kings of the last half of the decade. I'm not sure about cap/contract status here, but it seems like Dallas has enough pieces to spare to get a real superstar like Kobe. I don't expect Cuban to part with Dirk, but I could see some combo of Howard, Stack, or Terry getting the axe for Kobe.

If that is the case, the hell yeah, Billy Knight. get on the phone, unload those two lottery picks and anyone not named Joe Johnson.

Of course Billy won't trade for Kobe because he isn't 6'9"....or a sf.

Anyone not named Joe Johnson? Joe Johnson is what it would take.

Jerry Buss just released this statement.

"Kobe has not directly demanded a trade through the Management, we want to build the team around Kobe."

And also, he said that Kobe is going to be a Laker for life.

Showdown time.

"Just" Shawn Marion? Really? A package with him and barbosa gives you two guys that will score over 20 a game, 12 rebounds a game from shawn, 2 steals a game and damn near 2 blocks. Add in a unprotected pick from Atlanta next year and I honestly would take that package over the Nets package. Except the Nets package would sell more tickets.

Barbosa gives you your young superstar in the waiting, Marion gives you your current Allstar.

The only other team I could see giving a better package would be the Warriors giving up Monta Ellis, Foyle, and jason Richardson for Kobe.

Jerry Buss just released this statement.

"Kobe has not directly demanded a trade through the Management, we want to build the team around Kobe."

And also, he said that Kobe is going to be a Laker for life.

Showdown time.

Dan Patrick mentioned that on air while interviewing Kobe. Kobe said that his agent contacted Mitch (Kupchak, Lakers GM) this morning about requesting a trade.

He also said that he hopes something can be worked out, and basically waffled back and forth on being traded and retiring as a Laker.

Under no circumstances should the Bulls give up more than one of these guys: Gordon, Deng, Hinrich. I don't care how good Kobe is.

Agreed. This probably won't be a popular opinion, but I'd rather see a rise with the young core than win now for a year or two with Kobe.

Within the next 5 years neither Gordon or Deng or hinrich will be as good as Kobe will be within the next 5 years.

I'm fine with that. It takes a team to win. Not a player as Kobe has demonstrated with the Lakers.

Look, you can't tell the other teams to give up everything they built up just to get Kobe then say that the Hawks can't trade Joe Johnson. That's just being biased.

He would be treated as a God in Charlotte. They have two first-round picks to deal, the lowest team salary in the NBA, and he would be able to play under Michael Jordan. With the other pieces the Bobcats have put into place over the past couple of years, Kobe Bryant would instantly make them a contender in the Eastern conference.

He would be treated as a God in Charlotte. They have two first-round picks to deal, the lowest team salary in the NBA, and he would be able to play under Michael Jordan. With the other pieces the Bobcats have put into place over the past couple of years, Kobe Bryant would instantly make them a contender in the Eastern conference.

Problem with that is they will have to give away one of the 3 Gerald Wallace/Felton/Okafor. Wallace is the most likely choice, but he's a free agent so only a Sign and trade works. Plus they would have to throw another high priced contract to get the contracts to match.

I'm fine with that. It takes a team to win. Not a player as Kobe has demonstrated with the Lakers.

Look, you can't tell the other teams to give up everything they built up just to get Kobe then say that the Hawks can't trade Joe Johnson. That's just being biased.

But trading Josh Smith Josh Childress, Marvin williams or any of those guys is basically the same thing I am saying that the Bulls should do. Its not bias.

To win, the bulls need to hang on to Wallace, Hinrich, and a couple of shooters. Yeah, Deng and Gordon can give you points, and thats nice, but they aren't the player that Kobe is.

The Hawks need Joe Johnson to win, removing him and and the team is pretty much the lakers. yeah giving up Josh Smith and say marvin Williams and the number 3 pick would be a blow to the team, but they could still put Claxton/AJ, Joe, Kobe, Sheldon, Solomon on the court and have a pretty good team in the East.

The Bulls would still win if you replace Gordon and Deng.

Yes, it takes a team to win. A team made up as players. And ifyou have a chance to trade two pretty good players for a great player, to add to that team, then do.

I am only naming teams that could still win after the trade. Of course the Blazers could give up Roy, Aldridge, Randolph, Outlaw and Jack but where would the team be after that?

The teams I have named: Nets, Suns, Warriors, Bulls are the ones that have to pieces to make a trade and still have a very competitive team afterwards.

Problem with that is they will have to give away one of the 3 Gerald Wallace/Felton/Okafor. Wallace is the most likely choice, but he's a free agent so only a Sign and trade works. Plus they would have to throw another high priced contract to get the contracts to match.

I doubt they would part with either Felton or Okafor, but Wallace makes sense. Bryant would essentially replace the role that Wallace plays in Charlotte. Don't know where the other high-priced contract would come from, perhaps Brevin Knight since Felton has already replaced him. Other possibilites to be traded are Primoz Brezec, Othella Harrington, and Jake Voskuhl.

IF the Pistons lose 2 straight to the Cavs and get bounced, I would totally support breaking up the Pistons "unit" to get him. Sign and trade Billups plus one or two more players?

I think they'd be aiming for younger players. I'm not sure if the Pistons can offer that in any Kobe deal.

P.S.: I bust out laughing every time I see Ripper's avatar..Quality!

I think its time to admit that Okafor is never going to be heatlhy in Charlotte. he is a handful when he plays, but he is getting injured an awful lot.

I am interested in seeing if he and Sean May can stay healthy. Both of which are pretty freaking good when they are.

He just had another interview that went about 30 minutes. He talked to Phil and Magic called him during the interview.

Progress, hopefully towards getting this shit fixed. He practically couldn't wait to finish the interview so that he could call Magic.

I think its time to admit that Okafor is never going to be heatlhy in Charlotte. he is a handful when he plays, but he is getting injured an awful lot.

I am interested in seeing if he and Sean May can stay healthy. Both of which are pretty freaking good when they are.

If he has another season where he plays less than half the season, maybe I'll be ready to give up on him. However, Okafor is too good to give up on after a season where he only missed 15 games. Sean May as well, even though I hated that pick when they made it.

He just had another interview that went about 30 minutes. He talked to Phil and Magic called him during the interview.

Progress, hopefully towards getting this shit fixed. He practically couldn't wait to finish the interview so that he could call Magic.

Yeah he seems to be going complete 180 from this morning, which isn't particularly surprising. I still think theres a decent chance he gets traded.

Yeah. 50%.

All the Buss family has to do is get in touch with him and tell him what he wants to hear, and then back it up. He said that Phil Jackson is the person that's giving him hope that this situation can be fixed and he can remain a Laker.

Guest Vitamin X

Man, I was just going to say that this situation completely depended on what Phil Jackson is going to do. He's the make it or break it guy on this deal.

Guest George's Box
Under no circumstances should the Bulls give up more than one of these guys: Gordon, Deng, Hinrich. I don't care how good Kobe is.

Gordon is the most expendable of the three. I want Hinrich at point guard for years to come (as does Paxson, which is what matters), and Deng could be a good sidekick to Kobe. I can part with Ben Gordon if I have to, PJ Brown and Nocioni are expendable, as is Tyrus Thomas if it means getting Kobe Bryant.

Guest George's Box

Because he's a shooting guard being traded for a legendary shooting guard?

How is the best player on the team expendable.

Are you suggesting that Gordon is the best player on that team? If so, that's ridiculous.

I can only think of about three or four players that I wouldn't trade for Kobe Bryant.