TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

NHL Offseason - 2007

Keith Tkachuk seems he does not want to win a Stanley Cup in his career. He went back to the Blues for a first round draft pick

And he just resigned for 2 years, $8mil.

Tkachuk has always seemed like a paycheque player to me anyway.

That Fernandez deal was a horribly kept secret.

I think everyone who follows the rumor mill knew about it.

The Bruins, TSN is reporting, have acquired Manny Fernandez for a fourth-round pick and Peter Kalus. Manny went 22-16-1 last year, stopping 911 of 1000 and letting in 2.55 per game.

Max, have you seen Kalus play at all? I don't remember him suiting up for the B's at all, but his stats in Providence were pretty good: 13 goals, 17 assists in 43 games.

Kalus played in 9 games for the Bruins last year and had 4-1=5 for stats

The Bruins board is losing its fucking mind over this deal, but I think it's pretty even. Kalus (who has a pretty sounding last name, pronounced Ka-loo) has a good ceiling but has been railed by injuries for a lot of his minor league career. If he completely pans out as expected he should be a second line wing, which isn't awful.

But, the old adage is that you have to give to get. The Bruins gave up a good prospect and a fourth for a very, very good goaltender, which is something that they need.

Free agent season has officially begun!

*hopes for a bunch of signings so I can have something to read during a boring, slow day at work*

Joe Thornton signed a 3 year extension at 7.2 million per year. The extension starts next season.

I would have loved to see the Kings throw money at him next offseason, obviously that can't happen now.

Atlanta signed Todd White to a 4 year, 9.5 million dollar deal. That means they won't be keeping Eric Belanger, and they needed a center to begin with. Lateral move.

Mathieu Schneider just signed with the Ducks. I think Scott Niedermayer is retiring!

This could be one of the best days of my life as a hockey fan.

7.5 mil a season seems fair for big Joe. He's a franchise player and should be paid accordingly

As long as they never put the C on his sweater he will play up to that level and ear that money :)

Told ya.

I wanted Cory Sarich, but he's gone to the Flames. Florida signed Radek Dvorak too. Time to load up on borderline top-6ers!

That does make up for it losing Schneider. I really liked the guy, but he's getting up in the years and getting a younger player that is a bit better defensively is definitely a good move on the Wings' part.

And for those of you counting, this is Schneider's 7th team in 17 seasons. Talk about a journeyman.

Announced on TSN, confirmed by Holmgren at the Briere press conference:

Joni Pitkanen and Geoff Sanderson to EDM for Joffrey Lupol and Jason Smith

This turns out one of two ways without much middle ground IMO, Pitkanen gets hits shit together and this is an all time awful deal for the Flyers or Joni remains retarded and they did great to get something while they could. I tend to lean towards the latter as the atmosphere in Philly was not set to help turn Joni around. The organization wasn't fond of him and the fans were getting on his case enough at the end of the season that he was a "flu" scratch for some late season home games.

Announced on TSN, confirmed by Holmgren at the Briere press conference:

Joni Pitkanen and Geoff Sanderson to EDM for Joffrey Lupol and Jason Smith

This turns out one of two ways without much middle ground IMO, Pitkanen gets hits shit together and this is an all time awful deal for the Flyers or Joni remains retarded and they did great to get something while they could. I tend to lean towards the latter as the atmosphere in Philly was not set to help turn Joni around. The organization wasn't fond of him and the fans were getting on his case enough at the end of the season that he was a "flu" scratch for some late season home games.

And Philadelphia is pretty much getting Lupul for the same reasons. Basically, they're just swapping two guys with potential in hopes that a change of scenery will do them good.

That depends how far he falls off after last year. $5 million for a 30+ goal scoring winger is not a bad deal at all. If he's back to being a 20-25 goal man, then it does look a little high. If he ends up repeating his 40 goal season, it's a steal.

Not quite sure what Toronto's cap situation is, but I think they still have enough to sign a prime-time free agent, or a couple second tier guys.

That depends how far he falls off after last year. $5 million for a 30 goal scoring winger is not a bad deal at all. If he's back to being a ~25 goal man, then it does look a little high. If he ends up repeating his 40 goal season, it's a steal.

Not quite sure what Toronto's cap situation is, but I think they have enough to sign a prime-time free agent, or a couple second tier guys.

He'd never broken 30 goals in his career before last year, and he turns 34 in September. Odds are the Leafs are going to regret this deal.

Well, the Leafs haven't won a championship in 40 years. Interested in joining the bandwagon?

The Blake deal is terrible in terms of time frame, but not bad for money. A true blue 40 goal man probably gets $6 million, so it's not like they're paying a true blue 40 goal man price. If he scores 30, it's decent, any more is a bonus. But the last 2 years of the deal will probably be awful due to his age.

Do you guys have 25 million of cap room and not spend it. I need another team like that in my life.