TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Your Paragon of Virtue

Jackson: PRIDE Offered Bonus to Lose

From Sherdog.

Prior to making his PRIDE debut against Kazushi Sakuraba (Pictures) in July 2001, Quinton Jackson (Pictures) said PRIDE executives offered to pay him a $2000 bonus if he lost by knockout or submission and did not tap.

Speaking with MMA Today before his UFC light heavyweight championship winning performance, Jackson said he signed to fight for $10,000, but alleged that PRIDE executives, whom he said "screwed" him over, offered $12,000 if he was finished in the ring by the Japanese star.

"I'm never the type of fighter that would lose for money," Jackson said. "I don't do that. But they told me, 'If you win this fight, you get $10,000.' But they told me -- these are like the two people from PRIDE who got fired recently, I don't know if the president of PRIDE knew about it -- but they told me themselves: 'If you lose by knockout or submission and you don't tap, you get $12,000.'

"I said, 'But what if I knock him out?' and they said 'You get $10,000.' Then I understood what was going on. This was my first time fighting in the big show in Japan and I learned sometimes they wanted the other guy to win."

After slamming the smaller Sakuraba several times and nearly lifting out of the ring over the top rope, Jackson, who took the fight on short notice, finally succumbed to Sakuraba after getting caught in a choke.

"I knew it was going to be tough for me to win that fight, so I went out there and gave it my best anyways to get my $10,000," Jackson said.

DSE recently relinquished control of PRIDE when it sold the company to UFC owner Lorenzo Fertitta.

I hope all of you that called be a moron/crazy for thinking Wanderlei may have carried Yoshida to not make him look so bad, are open to the idea of something fishy going on.

Let the speculation begin. This seriously dampens the credibility of PRIDE as an organization by the way, as if they didn't already fuck themselves over enough as far as legitimacy was concerned.

I'd always suspected that the Silva/Yoshida fight was a carry-job, so you're not alone there. This is no big surprise though, I'm sure this wasn't the only fight where this occurred either.

Am I the only one that thought Jackson threw this fight. I mean seriously, he came out and threw dude around, slammed him a few times and then got caught in the slowest application of a choke ever.

In other words, I think he got the 12k.

wow, boy that just buries PRIDE further and kinda puts a black eye on MMA, wasnt there a rumor that PRIDE was being funded by the Yakuza or something

Also keep in mind that Jackson would have had to have been choked out to gotten the bonus, tapping is out of the question. The Japanese probably would have wanted to see Sakuraba put to sleep the evil American black monster, or something.

I guess, but when I saw the fight for the first time, knowing nothing about this story of course, it looked like Jackson came out, showed that if he wanted to he could break Sakuraba in half if he wanted to, feigned tossing him out the ring to once again prove his dominance and then all of a sudden he gets caught in a SLOW ass choke and looked pretty indifferent after the match.

Not saying thats what happened, but that was my exact thought when I first saw it.