TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

The Baconator

Darthtiki, did you ever end up having a squeezeburger?

No, I didn't get around to it while I was up, but most likely on my next trip up which should be around 'Mania

I had the fish sandwich at Wendy's. Meh. Nothing wrong with it, but not too impressive. I'd take pretty much any other fast food fish sandwich over it, they all have an advantage.

McD's: Salty as hell, and has cheese. BK: Massive. JitB: I don't know why, but I like the fucker (you can get fish and chips there too). KFC: Bite size, you can get a couple of them. Carl's Jr.: Overall the best fish sandwich on the fast food market.

Still, even though I get the fish, it's gotta be once a week or less.

Milky and my dad are the only people I know who order the fish sandwiches at fast food places on a regular basis. My dad nearly swerved off the road a couple years ago when he saw IIRC Burger King was offering a spicy fish sandwich for a limited time.

I've been told I'm a rare breed that way before, but I have met others.

We're a small but devoted lot. Usually if you like the fish sandwiches, you really like the fish sandwiches.

I had forgotten about it being time for Lent. I was wondering why all the fast food restaurants around here were starting to really push their "New and Improved Fish Sandwiches".

I'm living in a dorm room right now so that's not really possible. Anyways, one Filet O Fish every couple years won't kill me. Can't be any worse than what they put in a hot dog and I eat those all of the time.

Guest Vitamin X
I'm going ovo-pisco-lacto (?) vegetarian for lent...

I'm personally of the belief that ovo (eggs and egg-derived) and lacto (other dairy products) are pretty much implied by saying vegetarian, as opposed to vegan. I just say I'm pesco-veg to make it easy.

And hey, if it works out for ya Eric, keep going with it. The health benefits are insane.

Yeah, and it's not too difficult once you get going. I'm liking it.

I cracked once, for biscuits and gravy (it was sausage gravy). They were my all time fav b&g and I rarely get to go to the place. I didn't feel too badly about it.

How many people've had the vaunted and oft-recalled (if not always fondly recalled) hotdog omlette?

My friends mom made a plate for me one morning after I slept over at her house.

I've never had it but a local pizza place offers hot dog pizza. Don't know why anybody would want to get it but it's there.

I love hot dogs but the thought of hot dog gravy, hot dog omlettes, hot dog pizza and any hot dog related food that isn't actually hot dogs just sounds flat out unappealing.

Yech. Whatever you're doing with hot dogs, use brats or andouille or something instead, I'm sure it would be fine. Hot dogs? That's like putting ketchup on spaghetti.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Andouille indeed. This was in Harlansburgh, IN; 1985. Population 6. It was fried bologna or plain bread.

Haha, I remember that shit, too. Then fried bologna for lunch. Sick.

You're the only other person I've EVER met (outside of members of my family) who has experienced hot dog gravy.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Oh, it's out there, believe me. We're not so culturally and geographically different, you and I.

Especially midwestern white guys with depression-era grandparents that never changed their palates. You surely have had other nightmare meats like souse.

But you know, I spent a large part of my childhood in rural Illinois, and lived in backwoods Kentucky for a while too, and I never saw some fucking hot dog gravy. Fried bolonga, sure. Hamburger Helper, Little Debby, Spaghetti-O's on spaghetti, syrup sandwiches, stirring the Kool Aid with your arm... real tomato ketchup, Eddie? Sure, I've experienced all of that. And that's what I liked. Even the aforementioned ketchup on spaghetti... and on potato chips.

I developed a reputation as a picky eater when I was a kid, but it was only because everything was so terrible.

Man, I have to get back in touch with my roots. I could write a book. There's pictures of me when I was like four taking a bath in the sink.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

You're not missing much with the hot dog gravy, seriously. It's as bad as it sounds. See, THIS is the difference between black people and white people.

You're never going to find some poor black folks eating that white trash shit. Their stuff is bad too, but it has style.

Hot dog gravy was the worst. I only tried it once and I still get a little sick just thinking about it. Papaw would eat the shit out of it, though, of course.

My granny would be astonished if she ever came to the house and saw all the yuppie food my wife cooks. I never even knew what half the shit I eat now existed before I started dating my wife. I don't know how to feel about the fact that I now know what the fuck a parsnip is or the fact that I regularly eat eggplant.

Yes, I can picture you and your wife deciding what to get on your pizza... "Pan seared pea snaps!"

Yuppie shit can be bad. Not eggplant and parsnips, really, but like the stuff Patrick Bateman was always ordering. Free range rabbit with herb french fries, squid ravioli and god knows what else.

To bring the two together, you might be interested to know that possum tastes pretty much exactly like rabbit.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I don't know, being a sensory Columbus, I'll try to eat just about anything. The stuff you just listed, Dave, actually sounds delicious. Rabbit and herb-seasoned fries? That would be great. Squid's delicious.

In fact, there's only one seafood I can think of that I've tried and disliked to the point of never wanting to eat it again, and that's Uni. Fuck a bunch of uni.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Smitty, parsnips are hardly yuppie food, unless they co-opted them from farmers.

Parsnips, rutabagas, turnips, beets..shit, all of those have their "roots" with poor folks.

Eggplant is weird. I guess I like it, but I've never been satisfied when cooking it myself.

Actually yeah, that stuff is really bad in a more pretentious way than a disgusting way. Plus you know the portions would be small.

There's worse ones in that book, I just always remember those because they're in the movie.

Mark me down as another fish-sandwich lover. I have liked pretty much all of them from any fast food chain. Oh and I also like fish tacos.