TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

Commissioner for a day

To address the above, under no circumstances should baseball add more playoff teams. The NFL, NBA and NHL also have too many playoff teams. Yeah, it sucks to win a lot of games and miss the playoffs. The regular season, however, is a portion of the playoff format in itself. You have to win your division to get a playoff berth, or finish best among the second-place teams. If you can't do that, why should you have a chance to be the number 1 team in your sport? If anything, baseball needs to return to four teams. But that's radical and wouldn't make good business sense.

Fair enough, it just seemed like people were all up in arms about expanding the MLB playoffs without looking at the fact that the other leagues have far more playoffs teams while playing far less games, plus the fact that all the leagues have roughly the same amount of teams. Just some consistency would be nice.

I think part of the reason why people are against adding more playoff teams to baseball is the nature of the sport. In football, the better team can win out a one game playoff. In basketball, the better team will win a best of 7 99% of the time. However, in baseball, the game revolves around random acts and small sample sizes. The worst team in the league can beat the best team in a short series. It's how we end up with a crappy 83 win Cardinal team winning the World Series. The 162-game season acts as a playoff for all 30 teams. No sense in rewarding a team who can't get it done over a six-month period.

NHL

- Change the scoring point system. Ideally, I'd make it W/L/T but give 3 points for a W, 0 points for a L, 0 points for an Overtime Tie, and 1 point for an Overtime W. Ottawa at 48-25-9 shouldn't be finishing behind Atlanta at 43-28-11... Anaheim & Vancouver with 48 & 49 wins finished ahead of Nashville and San Jose at 51 W each.

This would place emphasis on actually winning the game and force teams to quit playing the end of regulation games for the OT so they can still get 1 point if they lose.

NHL:

1) Make everybody wear the same face masks they wear in college hockey. If they want to fight, drop the mask once the gloves are off. A 100mph frozen hunk of rubber should not have an unobstructed path to anybody's face. Neither should a hockey stick, whether intentionally or accidentally swung in that direction.

2) 3 points for a win in regulation, 2 points for a win in overtime, 1 for a win in the shootout. No points for losers, regardless of when they lose.

3) Better TV deal. Every playoff game starting with the conference semis should be televised. Hell, if there were enough ESPN channels I'd say every playoff game period.

MLB:

1) Everybody plays everybody. Two home games & two road games against every team is 58 games...there's still 102 left.

2) Stop ramming rivalries down our throats. Sure, Yankees/Red Sox. Okay Mets/Braves. But seriously, Marlins/Nationals? Devil Rays/Blue Jays? Too many divisional games.

3) No Clemens clause. You want to play so freaking bad, show up every day or else find another league to pitch in.

NBA:

1) With under 3 minutes to play, if the lead is greater than 7, any foul leads to the remaining shot clock time ticking off the game clock (so if there's 14 seconds on the shot clock, 14 seconds go off the game clock) and the team that was fouled is awarded 2 points, and possession goes to the fouling team. Enough of this "We're down 20, let's foul for the entire fourth quarter and try to get back in it!" bullshit, you're losing, let's just get it over with.

2) New draft lottery: The teams that have the first five selections select 5 players they'd like with those picks. Have a lottery drawing for each player that has been selected by at least two teams to determine who gets them, with the number of losses that team has equaling the number of ping-pong balls they get in that lottery. It's like giving the worst team the #1 pick, except...y'know, not.

3) Let players be DRAFTED at any age, but they must have be at least two years out of high school before they can PLAY. (So they can be drafted at 18, but they need to play 2 years of college before they can go pro)

Cheech pretty much nailed everything I'd wanna see in baseball. I mean there was a time when I wanted the DH completely out of the game but I'm starting to see the DH is good for the game for a few reasons.

1.) From an entertainment standpoint which are the fans going to enjoy seeing more. One the game's elite pitchers against one of its elite hitters or an easy out? There's no real drama when a pitcher comes up to hit because you know 99% of the time he's going to strike-out or cue a grounder to second.

2.) Strategy wise I'm starting to see it better as well. Your bench should be pinch runners, defensive upgrades, a powerbat for that late inning circumstance, and injury insurance. Having to continuously use those players to pinch hit in situations not fit for their skills and then not have them available right at the moment later on when you can use them is just frustrating for me to see as a fan.

3.) It lengthens the careers of some players. I would have never been able to see Andre Dawson at an age where I could remember him if it weren't for the DH. Sure he wasn't able to produce as he once did in his prime, but when he played for the Red Sox we got a glimpse as to what The Hawk use to be like. David Ortiz would have been out of baseball after his release from Minn, Edgar Martinez's career would have ended about 5-6 years prior to what it did, Frank Thomas would have seen his career ended about 5 years ago and Jim Thome probably never would have had that chance to make a comeback.

cheech and alkeiper nailed what I would do (DH, Interleague and Unbalanced schedule, Playoffs and season length)

Guest George's Box

Yeah, and Viva nailed everything I feel as a proponent of batting pitchers. If you're bored by baseball because there's a bad hitter in the lineup, then you're kind of a crappy fan. I actually enjoy pitchers' plate appearances, because it's satisfying like damn to see a hitter who isn't expected to do a thing go up there and draw a walk, hit a bloop, or otherwise achieve something to make himself productive against all odds and bring us back up to the top of the order. I like David Ortiz a bunch, but I don't like that he only has half the obligations of a ballplayer. You could stick Ortiz at first, Youkilis at third, and bat the pitcher, and the Red Sox would still have a juggernaut of a batting order.

Frank Thomas would have seen his career ended about 5 years ago

good i don't like the white sox

Jim Thome probably never would have had that chance to make a comeback

good i don't like the white sox

MLB:

* Shoeless Joe and Pete Rose get into the hall.

* Team with the best record gets home field for the World Series.

* All-Star home run derby gets juiced up with aluminum bats. Chicks dig the long ball.

* Negro League stats get recognized officially.

NFL:

* Change overtime model to NCAA style. I'm tired of this sudden-death field goal bullshit.

* New stadiums do not automatically get a super bowl. Just because you spent one billion on a stadium doesn't mean you should get the super bowl.

* Dallas and Detroit get Thanksgiving games. Sorry KC...I don't need three games on Turkey day.

Boxing:

*One main commission with unified champions.

*Championship fights go 15 rounds.

* Once every two months, a "marquee" fight should be on free TV. Cotto / Judah could've been on ABC instead of 54.95 on PPV.

* Negro League stats get recognized officially.

I'd agree with this, but there's no way to collect completely reliable totals from that era. Negro league players have been given consideration for the Hall of Fame, which is a suitable honor. The statistics are just a manner in determining the best of that area anyway.

MLB:

* Shoeless Joe and Pete Rose get into the hall.

Hell yes to Shoeless Joe Jackson being in the Hall. It's already been too long.

-Changing the hoops in basketball to double rimmed baskets. It'd be amusing to watch these "superstars" try to adapt to the much harder basket.

-No more three pointers. Everything is worth 2 points, free throws are still a single point.

-No more high school or freshmen/soph in the draft -or- sports analysts being murdered for comparing someone to Michael Jordan.

Guest George's Box
* All-Star home run derby gets juiced up with aluminum bats. Chicks dig the long ball.

Nobody digs the ping sound.

New stadiums do not automatically get a super bowl. Just because you spent one billion on a stadium doesn't mean you should get the super bowl.

Well, first of all, new stadiums don't automatically get Super Bowls in the first place. Second of all, since you're obviously referring to Dallas's new stadium, why shouldn't the NFL show off its biggest and best real estate on a world stage? As for the people clamoring for cold-weather Super Bowls because that's football grr, you'd think the Bears-Colts slopfest would've turned everybody off that whole concept now that they saw it in action. I loved watching the Saints get their asses stomped on the lakefront in the mud and wind and snow, but that Super Bowl was a chore.

Dallas and Detroit get Thanksgiving games. Sorry KC...I don't need three games on Turkey day.

And if you're like most of America, you probably don't get a third anyway because it's on the NFL Public Access Channel.

No more three pointers. Everything is worth 2 points, free throws are still a single point.

Yeah, those John Paxson and Steve Kerr title-winning three-pointers were a blemish on basketball. Good point to bring up days after our world champions won a finals game with like 72 points, ya knob.

That's it, it's official: braintrust meetings like these are what gave us glowing pucks.

MLB:

3) No Clemens clause. You want to play so freaking bad, show up every day or else find another league to pitch in.

:cheers:

To elaborate, this act has got to stop immediately. It was kinda cute at first when he couldn't sign until May 1 last year, and now it's just bullshit and being able to pick and choose where to play after the season has started, and after every other player in MLB had to go through spring training and whatever else. Despite what guys say in interviews with the media, there is no way that many teammates don't mind it. Plus I've already heard Tom Glavine say that he might want to try it out next year. It can only snowball from here.

I loved the Bulls more than just about anyone.

The league has grown into a three point shooting contest, and I'd rather see better inside shooting and ball handiling than some guy standing forty feet out snippering a few shots in.

And quit fucking nitpicking everything everyone ever says.

Guest George's Box

Okay, I'm glad you're a Bulls fan too, that's great. It doesn't make your proposal any less ridiculous, though. I don't see this NBA of three-point shootouts that you speak of. I see people getting fouled in the paint on weak-ass calls. If anything, we need more live-and-die-by-the-3 teams. You didn't enjoy the Warriors series?

As for the nitpicking, sorry, but this sexy little number here has been a real cavalcade of dumbshittery, and if Al can kvetch about the ESPN Sucks thread, I can surely point out how asinine most of your big ideas are.

I enoyed the Warriors series for the underdog aspect, but I sure as hell don't enjoy their style of play. I think it's boring to watch a team run down and jack up 40 3s a game. I like watching half court sets and teams making multiple passes until they can find the best shot. Call me crazy, but I'd rather watch the Spurs 7 days a week than the Warriors.

Although asinine, it doesn't matter. I started the post of by saying it'd be amusing.

It'd be funny to watch the players trying to adjust to doubled rims. It's so fucking irritating.

Guest George's Box

Then you're crazy, and obviously in the minority. The current NBA fanbase was raised on

JORDAN! EWING! THE NBA ON NBC!,

and now nobody but the purest of the purists can appreciate this boring-ass, defense-wins-championships, we-take-it-one-day-at-a-time, fundamentals-are-FUNdamental crap, and the numbers bear this out. I mean, Christ, the Spurs make the New England Patriots look like the fucking Sex Pistols.

The 91-93 Bulls used to average about 400-500 3 point attempts per season. Same with the showtime Lakers. The Warriors jacked up close to 2,000 this year. If you don't think that's a degradation in the quality of the game, I don't know what to tell you. The Spurs aren't sexy for a multitude of reasons. Hell, the NBA isn't sexy. The three-pointer, however, is not the saviour.

By the way, I have nothing against the three-pointer. I just don't want to see teams living and dying by the shot.

Guest George's Box

I have never heretofore heard anyone cite attempted three-pointers as one of the modern NBA's ills. Zone defense, flopping, too many free throws, unmarketable players, shoddy (and shady) officiating, we all know those, but "too many threes!" would certainly win you a point if we were playing Scattergories.

The 91-93 Bulls used to average about 400-500 3 point attempts per season. Same with the showtime Lakers. The Warriors jacked up close to 2,000 this year. If you don't think that's a degradation in the quality of the game, I don't know what to tell you. The Spurs aren't sexy for a multitude of reasons. Hell, the NBA isn't sexy. The three-pointer, however, is not the saviour.

By the way, I have nothing against the three-pointer. I just don't want to see teams living and dying by the shot.

It's not degradation of the game, but it goes back to what Czech said. The current NBA environment favors defense. There's nothing wrong with the quality of today's players. Teams simply play tighter defense than they did in the past. (Yeah, a lot of people are going to debate that. I think improved videotape and scouting have much to do with it. Those who think the players simply lack fundamentals are never going to be convinced otherwise.) You have lower field goal percentages but not lower 3 point percentages, and greater numbers of three pointers attempted. Why is that? Because players are unable to penetrate the defenses and generally take shots further from the basket. What the NBA needs is something to open up the game. I would suggest making the court wider.

New stadiums do not automatically get a super bowl. Just because you spent one billion on a stadium doesn't mean you should get the super bowl.

Well, first of all, new stadiums don't automatically get Super Bowls in the first place. Second of all, since you're obviously referring to Dallas's new stadium, why shouldn't the NFL show off its biggest and best real estate on a world stage? As for the people clamoring for cold-weather Super Bowls because that's football grr, you'd think the Bears-Colts slopfest would've turned everybody off that whole concept now that they saw it in action. I loved watching the Saints get their asses stomped on the lakefront in the mud and wind and snow, but that Super Bowl was a chore.

It wasn't the weather that made that Super Bowl a dud.

Guest George's Box

Well, it certainly didn't help matters. Rex Grossman is bad in all weather, though.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
NFL

Eliminate the intentional grounding rule.

This is the dumbest idea in the thread for a few reasons. First of all, it would lead to QB's just plunking one in the dirt when they're under pressure inside the pocket. They'd never get sacked any more, and when they do actually get hit, it will be some wimpy roughing call.

Which brings me to my NFL commish point. Cut back on the roughing penalties, and eliminate "running into the kicker." The fifteen yard roughing calls when the punter gets smoked, fine, but get rid of that five yard bullshit when the guy gets nicked by a defender, giving the team a 1st. Stop penalizing defenders for HITTING. That's part of the game. For those concerned about the health implications, improve the NFL's retirement and pension system for the old timers.

Butkus would get thrown out of the league in today's game, which is pitiful. He went on record saying that when he hit a guy, he was trying to kill them.

NHL:

Terminate the Reebok contract and go back to CCM or Koho

ESPN/ABC

Dump the salary cap

More fights

Contraction unless you can successfully lobby for new venues or renovations for Winnepeg, Quebec, or Hartford

Dumping the West/East conferences and bring back the Campbell/Wales conferences

Move the shootout to after 2-OT

Public flogging of Gary Bettman in the middle of Toronto

NFL

Eliminate the intentional grounding rule.

This is the dumbest idea in the thread for a few reasons. First of all, it would lead to QB's just plunking one in the dirt when they're under pressure inside the pocket. They'd never get sacked any more, and when they do actually get hit, it will be some wimpy roughing call.

Which brings me to my NFL commish point. Cut back on the roughing penalties, and eliminate "running into the kicker." The fifteen yard roughing calls when the punter gets smoked, fine, but get rid of that five yard bullshit when the guy gets nicked by a defender, giving the team a 1st. Stop penalizing defenders for HITTING. That's part of the game. For those concerned about the health implications, improve the NFL's retirement and pension system for the old timers.

Butkus would get thrown out of the league in today's game, which is pitiful. He went on record saying that when he hit a guy, he was trying to kill them.

So...players that are attempting "murder" on the field shouldn't be thrown out? I agree on the elimination of 5-yard running into the kicker, but come on, safety first everywhere else.

I think it sucks that that guy let Vince Young go for fear of a roughing the passer penalty and it turned into a big play. I think it sucks that a 290+ pound guy running about as fast as he can with a 330+ pound guy in his way is supposed to not only see through said 330+ pounder to tell whether or not the QB has thrown the ball, but also be able to stop on a dime and avoid breathing on him for fear of a penalty.

I also think it sucks that so many NFL veterans are ending up with brains rivaling the WWI veterans.

Guest George's Box

I think Doug Buffone said something to that effect a while ago, also adding that practically everything Mike Singletary did would be illegal in the modern NFL as well. That one, I didn't expect.