TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Man Who Sold The World

Cloverfield

I'll be picking this one up today after work. My brother (who works in a store that rents DVD's) had it home the other night. Special features looked pretty solid and make it purchase worthy in my books

Guest Vitamin X

I don't know. I loved the movie in theatres, but it's not the kind of movie that would do well watching it on a TV. It needs the cinematic experience, and even if I had a killer home theatre set-up, I don't think it's the kind of movie that you could really watch over and over again, after seeing the end.

I don't know. I loved the movie in theatres, but it's not the kind of movie that would do well watching it on a TV. It needs the cinematic experience, and even if I had a killer home theatre set-up, I don't think it's the kind of movie that you could really watch over and over again, after seeing the end.

I wouldn't say I loved the movie in theaters, but I'm having the same issues in regards to buying it on DVD. In the end, I probably won't, just because I may like the movie less on a regular sized screen. Seeing it in the theater really made it more enjoyable.

Anyone want to review the special features? I'm waiting to BluRay this one so I'd love to hear anything about any extra info or footage that's included.

• Commentary by Director Matt Reeves - Haven't watched with this yet.

• Easter Eggs - Haven't looked for these yet

• Document 01.18.08: The Making of Cloverfield - VERY good and in depth. I didn't realize just how much of this movie was CGI until seeing this. Only about 10 feet of the Brooklyn Bridge was real, and the rest, including the skyline behind it was CGI. Very good stuff.

• I Saw It! It's Alive! It's Huge! - Just more footage of the monster, and the many ideas that went into creating it.

• Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary - Kinda disappointing. I can see why they were taken out.

• Alternate Endings with Optional Commentary - Again, a disappointment. The only differences are: in the first alt. ending, there is alternate COney Island Footage, and in the 2nd, you see a millisecond of a military person pulling the camera from the bridge rubble.

There are actually a few minor differences as well. Rob has way more blood on his face in alternate ending #1 and in the movie they both say "I love you" but only Beth says it in both of the alt. endings.

It's so obvious to see Clover drop into the ocean when you're looking for it at the end.

Apparently it was a baby monster that was confused and frightened. Where's momma?

^^ That's what I'm talking about. If that huge thing was a BABY, then that's what I want to see in the sequel. I want to see Mom or Dad come to town looking for it.

There are actually a few minor differences as well. Rob has way more blood on his face in alternate ending #1 and in the movie they both say "I love you" but only Beth says it in both of the alt. endings.

It's so obvious to see Clover drop into the ocean when you're looking for it at the end.

Apparently it was a baby monster that was confused and frightened. Where's momma?

Actually, I think it's supposed to be a satellite dropping into the ocean, not the monster.

Yeah, it's a satellite that drops and awakes this sleeping monster, but the twist is supposedly it is a baby that is awakened, and it doesn't know where it's mother has gone off too.

I watched it for the first time and enjoyed it. From the massive hype campaign and all the internet nerdiness about viral videos and website clues and shit like that, I expected to really hate it. So going in with such low expectations, I found myself liking it. Of course, I was a big fan of The Blair Witch Project, so I certainly don't mind this kind of movie. I definitely was impressed by the how technically difficult it must've been to make this movie. It's incredibly hard to add computer generated special effects to shaky handheld footage, especially since they had a relatively low budget for a giant fx blockbuster.