TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
At Home

The Harry Potter Spoilers Thread

So i originally had word of a bunch of deaths (which you can read in the chocolate socket forum.) but i guess each page of the book was photographed and released on bittorrent.

You can read all about it here.

Please note: nothing has been confirmed yet; everything is pure speculation and up for review until the book comes out in london, and the spoilers shortly thereafter.

I'm not really much of a Harry Potter fan (British kids creep me out to no end) but once I started hearing that some people are going to be killed off I became morbidly interested as to what will happen. That and I'm bored as hell at work and I need to have something new to look up on Wiki

Mole already banned some guy.

I don't want to get banned, so that's why I'm deliberately putting things in links and using the spoiler tags.

Yeah, well, I read the book already. Some guy took a picture of every single page of the book.

This guy is half right, half wrong.

All I'm saying is that

Ron does not die

Could you send me a link to where you downloaded that? There's supposedly a billion shitty fan fics out there, and only one legit copy.

Me and some friends are going to have a bonfire tonight, then go spoil the book outside a barnes and noble.

I just finished. It was pretty good, the whole

King's Cross scene about harry's connection to voldemort and vice versa through harry being the last horcrux

was labyrinthine and confusing. It felt contrived, but I pretty much expected it (spoilers or not).

I covered the release of this book because I work for the newspaper. Let me tell ya, you were a real stick in the mud if you missed this party...

I just finished. It was pretty good, the whole

King's Cross scene about harry's connection to voldemort and vice versa through harry being the last horcrux

was labyrinthine and confusing. It felt contrived, but I pretty much expected it (spoilers or not).

You read the whole book in 6 hours?

I guess that makes me a fast reader too. I read it on the .PDF file. 600 pages or so. It was just a pretty easy read.

I finished the pdf version in two sessions of around 5 hours each, I'm sure 8 is possible.

Overall I came away a little disappointed. With all the hype about the deaths, ultimately none of them really meant anything, and there was really little else in the way of surprises.

Plus the sequence where they are on the run and camping out in various places just seemed like it went on forever, some of it was interminable. Another Potter book that could benefit greatly from some trimming.

Plus points - the battle sequences towards the end were pretty exciting, and Snape's story was kinda nice.

Believe what you want, but I brought it home at 8:30 and finished it around 10 minutes after 4. I don't see how reading a 600-page book in 8 hours is so mind-boggling.

Well it is 759 pages.

But if you say so.

Believe what you want, but I brought it home at 8:30 and finished it around 10 minutes after 4. I don't see how reading a 600-page book in 8 hours is so mind-boggling.

Well it is 759 pages.

But if you say so.

Not in Canada. We get the British version.

Well it is 759 pages.

But if you say so.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUURN

:shotgun: :blossom: :bonk: :spank: :fight2: :9mm: :firing:

Well it is 759 pages.

But if you say so.

Aren't they the same amount of text anyway? (Barring one or two minor edits, if previous books are anything to go by.)

Yeah, I think they replace the British slang with American slang in the US version, but that's it (except for Book 1, where they changed the damn TITLE). It took me awhile to figure out what the hell a jumper was when I first read Philosopher's Stone.

I read it in about 10 hours, thought it was pretty good. I pretty much agree with what's already been said. The camping stuff seemed to drag a little, but the last 1/3 of the book was exciting as hell.

I was sad to see Dobby and Fred die, the others not so much.

I read the whole thing in about 8 hours reading time. I loved the entire thing.

I think my favorite part was Mrs. Weasley.

Nothing really seemed to drag, that much, but I can see why people would say that.

Fitting end. I'm satisfied.

I finished in 8 1/2 hours..and damn, I didn't expect to see so many deaths. I was expecting Malfoy, Hagrid, and Voldemort to die..boy was I wrong. For notable deaths we had:

Hedwig

Moody

Scrimgeour

Dobby

Pettigrew

Fred Weasley

Tonks

Lupin

Bellatrix

Crabbe

Lavender Brown

Colin Creevey

Snape

Voldemort

..that's 14. Wow.

I didn't feel anything dragged at all. If anything, I felt things were moving to fast as there was TONS more action scenes than any of the other books.

Don't forget Nagini. I think that sort of counts as a main character.

My favorite parts were when Hermione dropping the basilisk fangs to make out with Ron, all because he stood up for house elves; Harry unveiling himself from the cloak to take on Carrows after he spat on MacGonnagal (You shouldn't have done that...awesome); and Mrs. Weasley's NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH before killing Beatrix.

8 hours here too. Overall, a "pretty good".

The good: the wrapping up of various long-running continuities. Good closure at the end. Nothing is really completely forgotten, every character gets at least a little bit of page time. Some of the deaths were really outta nowhere.

The bad: GOD that middle part where they were on the run went on for-frigging-ever. The book could've easily lost a hundred pages there and not really missed anything important. Also, did anyone else guess a lot of the plot twists back after HBP came out? I mean: Snape's motivation, the last Horcrux, the familiar-looking bartender, the locket nobody could open, exactly how The Boy Lived, etc; I had theories about them years ago that all turned out to be predictably true.

Anybody else happen to notice how everybody was throwing around Unforgivables? Harry, McGonagall, Molly...probably more that I'm forgetting at the moment.

And that final battle was sick. I was alternating between almost crying

(Fred, the Lupins)

and laughing (Come on- Trelawny getting her licks in? Priceless.) My only complaint is that a lot of the smaller characters got harly any time (I think Ginny said more in the epilogue than in the ret of the book, and though Neville was pivitol, he arrived on the scene very late).