TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 7/23 - 7/29

i can't believe how awful the white sox comcast announcer crew is. unbelieable unabashed childish favoritism. i'm surprised they don't yell "jinx" on a groundball. it is so bad i am posting here at tsm to vent. i suppose it is more constructive than punching my tv.

Nationals pitcher John Lannan got ejected in his major league debut for plunking Chase Utley and Ryan Howard consecutively in the 5th inning.

Which begs the question: anybody know how many times in history has a guy gotten tossed in his ML debut? I'm willing to bet it's not many.

ya, thats them.

and detroit shows their best world series collapse. their bullpen is frustrating.

In that case, there should be no surprise there, unless you've never had more than two minutes of a White Sox game on in the last 20 years.

Nationals pitcher John Lannan got ejected in his major league debut for plunking Chase Utley and Ryan Howard consecutively in the 5th inning.

Which begs the question: anybody know how many times in history has a guy gotten tossed in his ML debut? I'm willing to bet it's not many.

And Utley now has a broken hand thanks to him.

Sucks that the Phils are pretty much screwed now thanks to some no-name prospect on a shit team.

Why was the Nats pitcher intentionally throwing at Howard and Utley anyway? Or did he just happen to get Utley in the hand and then get warned and then got tossed when he hit Howard? I'm glad I didn't trade Ryan Braun for Chase Utley on my fantasy team when I had the chance a couple days ago.

ya, thats them.

and detroit shows their best world series collapse. their bullpen is frustrating.

In that case, there should be no surprise there, unless you've never had more than two minutes of a White Sox game on in the last 20 years.

i don't have any chicago channels. we got this one through a canadian sportsnet channel. honest to god, he's the worst sporting announcer ever. ever.

ya, thats them.

i don't have any chicago channels. we got this one through a canadian sportsnet channel. honest to god, he's the worst sporting announcer ever. ever.

He was also one of the worst GM's ever.

Why was the Nats pitcher intentionally throwing at Howard and Utley anyway? Or did he just happen to get Utley in the hand and then get warned and then got tossed when he hit Howard? I'm glad I didn't trade Ryan Braun for Chase Utley on my fantasy team when I had the chance a couple days ago.

Howard had homered off him earlier. Popular opinion at the moment is he beaned Utley to make his subsequent beaning of Howard look unintentional.

By the way, that sound you heard was the NL East becoming a two-team race.

I feel bad for Utley. He was probably the NL MVP up to this point (although the dimwits in the BBWAA never would have voted for him).

Philly has an important decision to make. Do they go after one of the big bats on the market to try and go for it, or do they sell off Rowand and other pieces (Burrell?). Could be an interesting subplot as we approach the trade deadline.

The Nationals are closing in on extending Dimitri Young for $10 million over two years. This is why the Nationals are the Nationals.

Josh Johnson is also heading to see Dr. James Andrews, which is never a good sign. That starting rotation of the future the Marlins were building sure fell apart in a hurry, didn't it?

The Nationals are closing in on extending Dimitri Young for $10 million over two years. This is why the Nationals are the Nationals.

Gee, and I thought the Ronnie Belliard signing was a bad idea...especially for a team that was supposed to be 'rebuilding'. They've already got their franchise player in Ryan Zimmerman. Build around him with young guys and don't sign a journeyman 2nd baseman and a glorified DH riding a hot streak.

I guess the Brewers can feel safe tonight. After rolling through four, Jason Marquis has experienced another sudden meltdown, walking two, including the pitcher, hitting one and giving up a grand slam. If the Cubs do make the playoffs, thank god for four-man rotations.

ya, thats them.

Yep. I think the day he wins the Ford Frick Award might be the day I stop watching baseball for good. And before anyone laughs, he was a finalist this year.

I feel bad for Utley. He was probably the NL MVP up to this point (although the dimwits in the BBWAA never would have voted for him).

Philly has an important decision to make. Do they go after one of the big bats on the market to try and go for it, or do they sell off Rowand and other pieces (Burrell?). Could be an interesting subplot as we approach the trade deadline.

Ha! They go with Abraham Nunez at 2nd, and try to hold on until Utley returns.

ya, thats them.

Yeah, I can't stand that guy. At all. It's so nice to be living in Rhode Island again where I can watch every game on NESN. (Not to say Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy aren't totally biased, but they aren't quite as blatant about it.) In Florida you could only watch when they played on ESPN or FOX or when they played Tampa Bay (on a local network) or Chicago (on WGN). And I wouldn't watch when they played Chicago.

Kenny Lofton's been traded to the Indians.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sectio...&id=2951535

Lofton's going to be a big improvement over Trot Nixon, which eliminates one of the two weak spots in their lineup (Josh Barfield being the other). The prospect the Rangers got in return looks to have some promise, so it's not a bad deal for Texas either.

Interesting deal for the Rangers. I wonder if that decreases the likelihood of a Saltalamacchia deal now that they have a stud young cather in the fold. Granted, Ramirez might not stick at C because of his defense, but the same concerns could be applied to Salty as well.

With the opening of CF in Texas, I'm starting to think that Theo should revisit the idea of a Lester/Ellsbury for Teixeira deal. I'm not sure if that's enough to get it done for the Rangers perspective, but it would certainly give them some young talent to work with.

I'm glad to see Marlon Byrd gets a shot at the center field job in Texas as well.

The Phillies indeed called up Joe Thurston from Ottawa. Thurston can at least hold the fort for a month as needed. I bet Nunez will end up starting though. Mike Zagurski is gone to clear room for Brett Myers in the bullpen. Danny Sandoval was designated for assignment, and will almost certainly clear waivers.

Phils acquire 2B Tadahito Iguchi from the White Sox in exchange for minor league Michael Dubee. Dubee's discussed as a sleeper at times but I'm not going to fret giving up a relief prospect in the low minors.

Yanks and O's will finish the suspended game from June 28th, in the 8th inning with the Yanks up 8-6. Then the regularly scheduled game will be played after that.

Help me out here because I'm a little confused. Why was this game "suspended" instead of just rain-shortened? Because the Yankees came from behind and took the lead in the inning the game was suspended in? Meaning the Orioles need the chance to play the bottom of the inning in case they can catch up?

If that's the case, are they just finishing the inning or playing to the end of the game?

Edited by Longdogger_Pete

From what I understand of it, it's because the Yanks took the lead in the top of the 8th and the O's (home team) didn't get a shot to bat again. The only other time I know of a suspended game was the pine tar game in 1983, but that was under totally different circumstances.

A judge denied the Associated Press' request to have the names in the Jason Grimsley cased disclosed to the public. They said it might compromise current investigations.

I guess you're safe for now Roger.