TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CheesalaIsGood

ROH This weekend!

Tonight! 2nd row baby! Yeah Yeah, I know big whoop. I'm excited anyway.

Non-Sanctioned Boston Street Fight

Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Kevin Steen & El Generico - Best feud going in wrestling today. Cannot fucking wait! Steen and El Generico win this time out as it is non-title.

ROH World Title Match

Takeshi Morishima © vs. Claudio Castagnoli - At first I wasn't too amped for this one but strangely enough the rest of the net seems to be. Then I saw the video wire showing CC's build up during the tournament 2 weeks ago (he also won a 4 way in Boston the last time they were in town). Hype or not I can't see Claudio winning this.

Grudge Tag Team Match

Austin Aries & Erick Stevens vs. Roderick Strong & Rocky Romero - The most boring feud in ROH. I could give a fuck, but I don't. I like Aries and am glad he is free from TNA and I have liked how Romero is improving in eery match it seems, but I just can't get into this. The Delirious thing kind of got in the way while Aries was working his problems out and its lost steam. Strong and Romero win it.

Pure Wrestling Rules

Nigel McGuinness vs. Chris Hero (with Larry Sweeney, Sara Del Rey, Tank Toland & Bobby Dempsey) - While this screams "sports entertainment" with circus at ringside this should be a lot of fun. Hopefully, they are clever enough to not ruin the Pure Wrestling idea with a bunch of seconds distracting from the match. Hero goes over here.

Special Attraction Match

Bryan Danielson vs. Matt Sydal (with Larry Sweeney, Sara Del Rey, Tank Toland & Bobby Dempsey) - Forget the angle over the 10,000 bucks. I just want to see AmDrag get in there with somebody he can maul. It'll be close, but AmDrag kills him dead.

Special Challenge Match

Jack Evans vs. Davey Richards - This could be very good if Davey doesn't lose his focus. I saw Richards wrestle Romero in January and the match was going along just fine and was on it's way to being VERY GOOD/almost GREAT when Davey seemingly lost his way in the match so they went to the finish. This shouldn't be too much a problem with Evans in there, but it can happen. Evans wins it.

SHIMMER #1 Contender's Match (Winner Receives Title Match On 8/11)

Lacey vs. Daizee Haze - I'm looking forward to this one too. The Boston shows have featured much of what this feud has had going for it. Peep the Six Person Intergender match from January where Daizee got the shit beat out of her by Brent Albright (Lacey's hired gun) which set this match up nicely. Daizee wins it. After the crowd in January practically applauded her to her feet in the 6 Person match Boston could use a good blow off.

Six Man Mayhem

Delirious vs. Brent Albright vs. Matt Cross vs. Eddie Edwards vs. Pelle Primeau vs. Jigsaw - Albright should win this since he has a title show tomorrow night.

Anyone going to Philly?

Dude, I'll be there too. If you're interested in saying hi, I'll be wearing a blue Superman shirt and I'll be sitting in the GA bleachers, a few rows up and towards the middle (that's the current plan at least).

It should be a tremendous show. That card is stacked.

Ring Of Honor

August 10th, 2007- 8:00 pm belltime

Roxbury Community College

Reggie Lewis Track and Athletic Ctr

1350 Tremont St

Boston, MA 02120

"Death Before Dishonor V Night 1"

Preshow

1) Shane Hagadorn won a ROH Student Six Man Mayhem match.

2) Sara Del Rey defeated Candice LaRae

Main Show

1) Davey Richards vs Jack Evans ends in a DQ when the NRC hit the ring and attack. The Resilience are in for the save.

2) Lacey defeated Daizee Haze with an Implant DDT to earn a shot at the SHIMMER Championship tomorrow night in Philly. Del Rey watched from the ramp.

3) Chris Hero defeats Nigel McGuinness via submission in a Pure Wrestling rules match. Tons of interference from Sweet N' Sour Inc. After the match Nigel destroyed Bobby Dempsey with a lariat.

During the match the lights went out and a message from Project 161 came over the PA.

~"Project 161 Is Real. Project 161 Is Coming. Be Ready. No One Is Safe. Project 161."

4) Matt Cross defeats Delirious, Brent Albright, Eddie Edwards, Pelle Primeau & Jigsaw to win Six Man Mayhem with a shooting star leg drop on Edwards. Albright ended up chasing Delirious to the back.

~ROH returns to Boston October 5th.

5) Austin Aries and Erick Stevens defeat Rocky Romero & Roderick Strong with Aries getting the pin after a 450 on Romero. Both factions brawled until Jack Evans made the save.

Jack got on the mic and said that on October 5th back there in Boston his crew would fight the No Remorse Corp.

Side note: Baker says Aries looked to really hurt his leg during the match.

~INTERMISSION~

6) Bryan Danielson defeats Matt Sydal with a triangle choke & MMA elbows. Matt Sydal's share of the $10,000 was up for grabs.

7) ROH World Championship: Takeshi Morishima defeats Claudio Castagnoli to retain after a backdrop driver in a great match.

8) Non-Sanctioned Street Fight: Kevin Steen & El Generico defeat Jay & Mark Briscoe after Steen hit a package piledriver on a ladder. Insane match.

Piledriver dangerous! The last two matches were said to be fantastic. Claudio had to have cemented his spot as a top guy if the match is as good as it's said to be. Albright has a snowball's chance in hell of beating 'Shima tomorrow.

Preshow

1) Shane Hagadorn won a ROH Student Six Man Mayhem match. > This was short but fun. Bobby Dempsey is getting a lot of heat these days (in a good way). *

2) Sara Del Rey defeated Candice LaRae - > This Candice chick while very cute, was waaaay out of her league. *

Main Show

1) Davey Richards vs. Jack Evans ends in a DQ when the NRC hit the ring and attack. The Resilience are in for the save. Jack says he doesn't need anybody watching his back. > So it looks like the NRC/Aries thing is on reset and picking up where they left off after Delirious got into it. Very good match BTW as it will most likely get over shadowed by what went down later in the night. Just figured I'd point out that both guys looked awesome in this one. ***1/2

2) Lacey defeated Daizee Haze with an Implant DDT to earn a shot at the SHIMMER Championship tomorrow night in Philly. Del Rey watched from the ramp. > I was disappointed by this a little bit as I was expecting a blow off with these two as they have a well-built history in Boston. *1/2

3) Chris Hero defeats Nigel McGuinness via submission in a Pure Wrestling rules match. Tons of interference from Sweet N' Sour Inc. After the match Nigel destroyed Bobby Dempsey with a lariat. > I don't think this one will translate on DVD since it was mostly comedy. But being there live for this was great as Chris Hero was exhausting me with all the kip ups and rope hopping he was doing. Match built around Hero trying to get Nigel to spend his rope breaks which he accomplished through heelish maneuvers. Eventually, Hero caught Nigel in an STF type move for the tap out. **3/4

During the match the lights went out and a message from Project 161 came over the PA.

~"Project 161 Is Real. Project 161 Is Coming. Be Ready. No One Is Safe. Project 161." Not sure what to make of all this.

4) Matt Cross defeats Delirious, Brent Albright, Eddie Edwards, Pelle Primeau & Jigsaw to win Six Man Mayhem with a shooting star leg drop on Edwards. Albright ended up chasing Delirious to the back. > Kind of surprised Cross went over here. MORE surprised that he pinned Edwards in his "hometown". Big spot fest that was a lot of fun. I was a bit confused at first since they said it was a 6 Man mayhem match which didn't require tags, but they tagged early on anyway. ***

~ROH returns to Boston October 5th.

5) Austin Aries and Erick Stevens defeat Rocky Romero & Roderick Strong with Aries getting the pin after a 450 on Romero. Both factions brawled until Jack Evans made the save. > I had NO hopes of enjoying this match since the NRC bores me but this was pretty good even if Aries hurt his leg early on. Aries must have told Strong about it because I clearly heard him say "TOUGH IT OUT!" No Remorse indeed. He did hang in there and Erick Stevens did an admirable job of holding things together which I did NOT expect from him. So kudos. ***1/4

Jack got on the mic and said that on October 5th back there in Boston his crew would fight the No Remorse Corp. > He also pimped the cage match in Hartford which should be awesome.

~INTERMISSION~

6) Bryan Danielson defeats Matt Sydal with a triangle choke & MMA elbows. Matt Sydal's share of the $10,000 was up for grabs. > Am Drag pretty much whooped him though it wasn't as one-sided as some boards have said. I would have put this match somewhere earlier in the card so they could tear it up more considering what was coming up right behind it. Very good wrestling. ***1/2

7) ROH World Championship: Takeshi Morishima defeats Claudio Castagnoli to retain after a backdrop driver in a great match. > Wow! I knew with Claudio's build up he was going to get close but DAMN did everyone buy the Ricola Bomb winning it for him. Morishima's best match in ROH period. Get. This. Match. ****1/2

8) Non-Sanctioned Street Fight: Kevin Steen & El Generico defeat Jay & Mark Briscoe after Steen hit a package piledriver on a ladder. Insane match. > Insane doesn't even cover it. Sitting in D section I got bowled over by some dude that got creamed by one of the Briscoe’s. Steen took a wicked bump over the post to the floor through a table right in front of me. The Briscoe’s both took some wicked chair shots and Jay bled. El Generico took high in the sky bump through a couple chairs that was just plain sick. Damn, I love this feud. Steen hit the package piledriver into the ladder for the 3. Awesome fight. ****1/4

Nice crowd tonight though there were a handful of seats behind me that didn't sell. Crowd was hot all night and never seemed to get tired. Must be all that Rockstar drink they sell in concessions. I also have to say the Reggie Lewis Center is a much better venue than the Nation Guard Armory in Braintree. In Braintree they really oversold the place that last time and it was hard to get around if you wanted to get to a bathroom or the merch stand. This new place is much larger and I think much better looking for the cameras. One last thing too...

The shows since they returned to this area have been getting better and better each time they come out. The crowds have been showing up so hopefully ROH will book bigger shows around here. Which I do not say to undermine the show they put on tonight... but the fans deserve it at this point.

2007 sounds like another brilliant year for ROH shows, this being now exception. Really makes me sad that I'm so far behind with my collection.

Mad love for Castagnoli from me.

Second.

I still have a lot of shows to get to catch up. I sometimes hate myself for being such a stickler for continuity and wanting to get all the shows (unless they're real stinkers.) The newest show I have is Anarchy In The UK, and I only have that because I was there (sat directly opposite the hard cam. It's pretty fun watching my own reactions to the show.) Before that I'm only up to Weekend of Champions pt. 2.

Im about the same amount behind. I'm missing Unforgettable from 05, the latter half of 06, and all of 07 thus far. Weekend of Champions and Unified are the newest shows I have.

By Ben Zani

Show was from the Reggie Lewis Field House in Roxbury, MA.

Let me state this for the record: EVERYONE NEEDS TO BUY THIS DVD. This show was unbelievable, especially the last three matches, and in particular, the last match.

Preshow:

- Shane Hagadorn won a Six Man student match.

-Sara Del Ray beat Candace LaRae.

These matches occurred. There was apparently a shooting outside the arena (seriously) when these matches were happening, but I didn't get there early enough to see what exactly happened. It should be noted that Roxbury is kind of a tough neighborhood, and shootings occur often there.

Show starts.

Jack Evans vs. Davey Richards No Contest after the No Remorse Corpse came in to beat on Jack. Davey has dreaded X-Pac heat with the crowd, which was made worse when he's placed against Jack, whom everyone loves. Shockingly, this match consisted largely of Jack doing flips and Davey doing stiff kicks and chops. Didn't go very long when the NRC came in and beat down Jack, which brought out Resilience. Jack didn't shake the hands of the Resilience guys afterwards, cause he's HIS OWN MAN.

Lacey vs. Daizee Haze. *Shrug.* Nothing special about this match, though Lacey does get increasingly hot with every waking second. Lacey won to earn the No. 1 contender spot for the SHIMMER title.

Chris Hero def. Nigel McGuiness in a Pure match. The Sweet N' Sour Stable is the best in wrestling today, and the Tank Toland/Bobby Demsey whackiness is especially brilliant. Sweeney came out and started listing "Commandments" such as "Thou shalt not be British" and "Thou shalt keep thy Limey hands off Sweeney." Match was just starting when all the lights went off and "Project 161" was repeated roughly 20,000 times over the loudspeaker. Dumb. When the lights went back on, Hero told the ref that Nigel had used all three of his rope breaks during the blackout. Genius heel trick! Hero later won via submission after all sorts of heelish tricks from Sweeney. I should also note that I talked to Sweeney after the event and asked him about Alvarez, and he said he'd fight Bryan for the Texarkana title "any time." Gauntlet thrown Chico, gauntlet thrown.

Matt Cross beat Brent Albright, Delirious, Eddie Edwards, Jigsaw & Pelle Primeau. It should be noted that Jigsaw is the third Caucasian-looking (I don't know his background) Luchador on the ROH roster, along with Delirious and Generico. That's whacky. Cross doesn't get talked about a lot, but he does two or three things every match that impress the hell out of you. Delirious was in full-on insane mode tonight, and the crowd loves him. Dunno how the hell he comes across as a trainer though, as his style is so unorthodox. Surprising that Cross won, especially since Albright is getting a title shot tonight in Philly.

Austin Aries & Erick Stevens vs. Roderick Strong & Rocky Romero. Austin Aries at first looked so happy, like there's a massive, TNA-sized weight off his shoulders. However, he hurt his ankle pretty bad early in the match, and hobbled around on it for a good ten minutes. Roderick Strong looks less and less interested every time I see him. Finish came with a 450 splash from Aries, which must have hurt given that he did it on one leg. Postmatch brawling when Jack Evans made the save and challenged the NRC vs. Jack and "MY CREW." Word.

Bryan Danielson def. Matt Sydal via submission. Sweeney referred to Sydal as the "No. 1 commodity in wrestling." He'll be less of a commodity when he's being squashed by Andrew Martin on Impact or Hacksaw Duggan on Velocity. Danielson was on offense for 95% of this match, putting Sydal in the most painful looking stretches imaginable. Just an absolute wrestling clinic. Danielson was like a wrestling Dr. Mengele, coming up with new and evil ways to torture Sydal's body. Finish was the most awesome finish I've ever seen, as Danielson put Sydal in a triangle choke and then started raining down elbows on his exposed skull. If you're a Danielson fan, you need to buy the DVD for this match alone.

Morishima def. Claudio Castagnoli. One of the best booked championship matches in a long time. Everyone knew that Claudio wasn't walking out as champion, but they somehow still got everyone to believe, if only for a fleeting moment, that he just very well may pull this match out. He couldn't lift Morishima at the beginning of the match, but as the match went on, Claudio was getting Morishima into more and more lift spots, causing the crowd to go nuts. He even got Morishima in his underhand airplane spin move-thingy, which was beyond great. Crowd was SO into this match. After some verrrrrrrry close calls, Morishima eventually came back and won with his Backdrop Drivaaaahhh. This match ruled.

Kevin Steen/El Generico def. Briscoes in an unsanctioned "Boston Street Fight." It's hard to explain how amazing this match was because so much happened, but you seriously MUST buy this DVD, if only for the greatness of this match alone. It was honestly Match of the Year material, if not the definite Match of the Year. The key was the fact that the Briscoes have zero regard for their own personal well-being, which is absolutely PERFECT for a no-rules street fight. About three tables, 50 chairs and a ladder were all broken in this match due to the force of human beings being slammed upon them. The Briscoes especially took a lot of unprotected chair shots to the head, which, I know, is just utterly shocking. There's a distinct possibility that we may see a Briscoe Brother (probably Mark) die in the ring at some point. Steen and Generico were also VERY impressive, especially Steen, who gets better every time I see him. Finish saw Steen hit a package piledriver on Jay Briscoe onto a ladder. Everyone walked out of this match saying it was the best match they'd ever seen live. Steen then challenged the World Champion for the Oct 5th return show. Steen's great on the mic.

You know the Holocaust? This show was the exact opposite. It RULED. Buy the DVD kids and thank me later.

Guest joshtothemaxx

I was in Philly for night 2. The 8-man street fight match was nuts. Matt Cross is a fucking madman. Steen/Generico and the Briscoes put on awesome matches. Quack v. Danielson was an amazing technical match. Very good show. The only match that sucked was Jack Evans against Deranged. Deranged was fucking terrible and got a "don't come back" chant.

But no negatives. I had a fucking blast the whole time. It was my first ROH experience since I live in southern VA and wow.

Guest joshtothemaxx

I'm not sure if it was the "MMA Elbows" but it was something like that. It was this weird head/arm scissor thing with wimpy looking elbows to the head. Definitely a wtf finish. Other than that... fucking superb match.

FUCK. FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK. I was at the Roxbury show, but we left during intermission because my girlfriend was having a fucking anxiety attack over the shooting that happened right when we got there. FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK. Then we get back to South Station to find out that we just missed our fucking train, and we didn't have enough money on the Charlie-card to go back.

FUCK. Matt Cross going over Edwards WAS weird, though. Delirious fucking ruled it.

I heard something about a shooting at the ROH boards, but I didn't hear the details. Did the shooting involve anyone there for ROH or was it some gang thing going on near the venue?

I was completely unaware of it until the next day.

FUCK. FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK. I was at the Roxbury show, but we left during intermission because my girlfriend was having a fucking anxiety attack over the shooting that happened right when we got there. FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK. Then we get back to South Station to find out that we just missed our fucking train, and we didn't have enough money on the Charlie-card to go back.

FUCK. Matt Cross going over Edwards WAS weird, though. Delirious fucking ruled it.

Man oh man that sucks, you poor devil you missing the second half.

I really do love by the sounds of it, everything that Hero/Sweeney have got going on. Brilliant. Hero needs to be elevated to proper M/E status in ROH as soon as possible, clearly.

Ernie:

The shooting happened right around 7:45 or so, maybe a little earlier, which is partially the reason Steph got so fucking freaked. She did also fall for the Project 161 deal, so that's working really well.

Garth:

From what I saw, Hero/Nigel stole the show. It wasn't the best match, per se, but it was the most entertaining. Hero is hereby my new favorite heel.

Shit, I can't believe there was a shooting outside the building and I didn't know about it at all the entire night.

This makes me a bit nervous about going back in October.