TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

This Week In Baseball 8/20-8/26

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

I wish the Northern League would be adapted as a AA league for midwestern teams. Schaumburg or Rockford would be more convenient for the Cubs than Knoxville.

The Mets came into the bottom of the sixth down 6-1 and are now up 7-6 after a six-run rally, capped off by a pinch hit three run homer from Marlon Anderson. I didn't give the Metropolitans a shot in hell coming back against San Diego's tremendous bullpen, but damn if they didn't prove me wrong in dramatic fashion.

And oh look, Billy Wagner just blew another save.

Why, this isn't the playoffs. Just what does he think he's doing??

Mets come through against Trevor Hoffman once more, as Wright ties the game at eight with a sacrifice fly after a Reyes/Castillo double steal. Game's goin' to extras.

And just how good are Reyes and Castillo at that double steal? They've done it at least three or four times since Luis joined the team.

The Mets have definitely been on a tear hitting-wise against the Padres this series. Win or lose tonight, they've shown a lot of resiliency these past three games.

And there we go with Aaron Heilman. What a shock.

How this team thinks they're going to make it far in the playoffs with such a putrid bullpen is beyond me. But this has been, in my opinion, the main problem since the season started.

I'm not more than three days into my new job, but it's already caused me to fall terribly behind with baseball. I got out at five and saw the Craig Monroe news and didn't even note that the Cubs were already midway through their game. I came home a half-hour ago expecting to see the finale of the series. Blessing in disguise, though. Sounds like one of those aggravating games.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

The radio broadcast was continually being interrupted to alert us where trees and power lines were being downed (Wheaton, Humbldt Park, Logan Square, resp.), so it was hard to follow the game anyway. I was more concerned with my house not falling down.

Jon Lester was sent down to the minors again. I guess cancer didn't take away his ability to scuffle along in his starts and walk a lot of guys.

Jon Lester was sent down to the minors again. I guess cancer didn't take away his ability to scuffle along in his starts and walk a lot of guys.

It's a nice story and all, but Lester isn't ready to pitch in the majors. The fifth starter isn't going to be very important down the stretch because of the way the schedule lines up. If there's a problem, I'd rather have Buchholz up if Tavarez shits the bed.

Watching Aaron Heilman pitch is an exercise in frustration. His peripherals aren't bad (although his K's are down) but to see him get ahead of hitters 0-2 constantly and then nibble and inevitably it's a 3-2 count. Hitters are sitting on his change up which probably shows the league has figured him out after his shockingly good 05/06 seasons

With Adrian Gonzalez tonight, he (suprise) gets ahead 0-2 and then tries to paint the corners and it's 3-2 and then he grooves one.

As I said last week I hope they explore trading him in the offseason.

And there we go with Aaron Heilman. What a shock.

How this team thinks they're going to make it far in the playoffs with such a putrid bullpen is beyond me. But this has been, in my opinion, the main problem since the season started.

The Mets' relievers have the third best ERA in the National League, just 0.01 behind LA for second. San Diego is way out in front, but they play in a ballpark where all offense goes to die. I don't know how you can say the Mets have a bad bullpen, especially when they have 5 relievers with an ERA+ over 100.

Billy Wagner is probably the best reliever in the NL. Heilman might be the best set-up man. You're totally off base here with this argument.

Watching Aaron Heilman pitch is an exercise in frustration. His peripherals aren't bad (although his K's are down) but to see him get ahead of hitters 0-2 constantly and then nibble and inevitably it's a 3-2 count. Hitters are sitting on his change up which probably shows the league has figured him out after his shockingly good 05/06 seasons

With Adrian Gonzalez tonight, he (suprise) gets ahead 0-2 and then tries to paint the corners and it's 3-2 and then he grooves one.

Batters are hitting .059/.111/.059 this year when Heilman goes up 0-2 in the count. That's an amazing .170 OPS.

Point taken Cheech, it just seems like hitters are sitting on his change up and that he has trouble putting him away

That very well could be the case. The thing about relief pitchers is they are inherently flawed. That's why they've been relegated to relief duty. Their skills never translated into the ability to start games and succeed. In the small samples that they pitch, it's easy to get a bad impression because one mistake can often cost them the game.

Oh please. We all know Billy Wagner isn't any good and will just blow every single meaningful game. Ignore his 29 saves. And his 1.64 ERA. And his 66 K's in 55 innings. He's a lousy closer who will only secure 40 wins for you each season and then be the lone reason the Mets fail in the postseason. Any team would be cursed to have him on their roster.

Being a Yankee fan, I really can't have anything to complain about. But the fuckin' Angels frustrate the shit outta me.

Why?

And weird things like shitty old past his prime Garret Anderson going for 2 HR's and 10 RBIs tends to happen when the Angels and Yankees play. I know that stuff happens all the time but I'm sure fellow yankee fans can back me up

The Cubs will be sending a lefty from the 40-man roster to the Tigers in exchange for Monroe. That means it's Cotts, Ohman, or Rapada. Given how things went down after Ohman's demotion, I'd be pretty surprised if it's not him.

Garret Anderson sucks against everybody (these days) except the Yankees.

Chone Figgins absolutely drives them crazy. They can't keep him off the basepaths, and then he rips shit up.

Howie Kendrick is something like 22-45 career against the Yanks.

26 for 50 to be exact.