TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball 8/27-9/2

Guest Smues
Last time I checked games in September are weighted more than games in April and May.

Really. Is this a new sliding scale or something that increases victories you get as the season draws to an end? So if the Royals were to win out the rest of their games could they finish at .500?

Last time I checked games in September are weighted more than games in April and May.

Really. Is this a new sliding scale or something that increases victories you get as the season draws to an end? So if the Royals were to win out the rest of their games could they finish at .500?

Heh, I was really referring to the overreaction by members of the New York City media and fans about the Mets losing early season series to the Braves and the fact that usually the same media members and fans put more emphasis on what happens in September than the early months (which makes their overreaction even more riddiculous). Hence the Mets beat the Braves "when it counts"

Clay Buchholz is having a pretty decent game against the Orioles right now.

He also has a no-hitter. He hasn't given up any hits through eight innings. Not one hit. Outings where you give up no hits are considered pretty good.

And I see Rocky Cherry is fitting in nicely with the Baltimore bullpen. He gave up many hits tonight. Unlike Buchholz, who has given up no hits.

Guy looks like he's about sixteen. He's clearly a little overwhelmed by the moment.

Crowd's giving him a terrific reception. Congrats, Clay!

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad
Am I the only one surprised to discover that Jacoby Ellsbury is white?

He's an Indian. So is Joba.

My Baseball Racial Surprise for today was that Pirates pitcher Shane Youman is black. My Baseball Racial Totally Not A Fucking Surprise At All Whatsoever for today was that Astros pitcher Troy Patton is white.

Fuck I wish I was at that game tonight. Seeing this kid pitch it on TV is fun enough, but I wanted to be in that atmosphere. Pedroia's play brought the house down.

I'd say Boston's starting pitching will continue to be tops in the league for a while with guys like this coming down the pipeline.

2nd behind Florida most likely.

8-10 major league arms coming down the pipeline.

Please save the homer comments. I need to cling to this after this shitfest of a season.

I was shocked when I saw that the Mariners PBP guy (Dave Simms) was black.

My all-time "What, he's black?!" moment is and forever will be Gus Johnson.

I mean, come on.

2nd behind Florida most likely.

8-10 major league arms coming down the pipeline.

Please save the homer comments. I need to cling to this after this shitfest of a season.

Which ones? I'm not impressed by Hernandez and Volstad, and NONE of their starters are hitting league average this season.

Have you seen Volstad's numbers since being promoted to AA? Pretty damn impressive.

The people on the Marlins board have been raving about Aaron Thompson's stuff, despite his numbers.

And I'm probably still clinging to hope for Gaby, Sean West, Ryan Tucker, Sinkbeil, and Jose Garcia.

That comes to 7 and I guess I was including guys who have already seen time in the majors like Rick Vanden Hurk, and the return of Anibal Sanchez, Josh Johnson, and Carlos Martinez from their year long injuries.

I think 8-10 of those being productive major leaguers is an overestimate, but yeah... I'm in dreaming mode at the moment.

Have you seen Volstad's numbers since being promoted to AA? Pretty damn impressive.

The people on the Marlins board have been raving about Aaron Thompson's stuff, despite his numbers.

And I'm probably still clinging to hope for Gaby, Sean West, Ryan Tucker, Sinkbeil, and Jose Garcia.

That comes to 7 and I guess I was including guys who have already seen time in the majors like Rick Vanden Hurk, and the return of Anibal Sanchez, Josh Johnson, and Carlos Martinez from their year long injuries.

I think 8-10 of those being productive major leaguers is an overestimate, but yeah... I'm in dreaming mode at the moment.

Volstad's K rate is relatively low. I've seen enough finesse guys come up to know they are far from sure things. Aaron Thompson, same problem. Jose Garcia and Sean West haven't even pitched this year. Honestly, I don't see one sure guy coming up.

Volstad's K rate is relatively low. I've seen enough finesse guys come up to know they are far from sure things. Aaron Thompson, same problem. Jose Garcia and Sean West haven't even pitched this year. Honestly, I don't see one sure guy coming up.

You ain't kidding. DeSalvo, Rasner, Karstens, Clippard, even Chase Wright ect .. the Yankees learned that this year. Beyond Chamberlin, Hughes and Kennedy, Alan Horne, Delin Betances, Steven White and Humberto Sanchez when he comes back all have had great seasons (beside Sanchez duh) and could be in the majors as soon as next year if there's a spot open.

Kane Davis is in for the Phils. I saw Davis pitch twice this year, and he exhibited the worst habit of touching his crotch I have ever seen. He'd get the ball, tap his crotch 1-3 times, and pitch.

Haven't had a problem with Torre's managing in AWHILE, but what the fuck was he thinking leaving Pettite in after a 30 pitch inning, with him already at 100+ pitches. Didn't work out.

edit: I guess with all the lefties up, and the fact Torre doesn't trust Ramierez, but still, Pettite was cooked.

Top three teams in the NL Central won today. Cubs erased a four-run deficit with a Derrek Lee homer in the 8th. Jacque Jones, Soriano, and Ryan Theriot came within inches of having an ugly crash in the outfield, too, but thankfully, everyone dodged each other.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

I'm glad the Cubs won, but man, it's so frustrating when there's no ground gained. Well, time to play the Dodgers. Knock 'em dead, Steve Trachsel.

Any chance the Astros call up Carson Birch and Taylor Dearborn before the big series with the Brewers?

A sweep of the Braves in Atlanta was the last thing I expected after the disastrous series in Philadelphia. Great set of games for the Mets as they pad their lead back to four going into Cincinnati.

Pedro's start tomorrow is going to be interesting to say the least. He's agreed to not throw anymore than 75 pitches in the game, so it's very likely he won't be going more than four or five innings.

I'm glad the Cubs won, but man, it's so frustrating when there's no ground gained. Well, time to play the Dodgers. Knock 'em dead, Steve Trachsel.

Any chance the Astros call up Carson Birch and Taylor Dearborn before the big series with the Brewers?

When you lead the division, the status quo is gaining ground, because you've run down the clock.