TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball 9/10-9/16

No tight races in the American League at this point. The NL Central is still a three team race and the wild card chase is close with the Phillies, Dodgers and Rockies all chasing the Padres. The Cubs have a makeup game against the Cardinals tomorrow and a full series over the weekend.

Let's hope Boston will actually show up to this Yankee series and all but seal the division.

The AL Wild Card is close-ish, though both Seattle and Detroit are fading quickly.

No national games?

ESPN has Braves/Mets on Wednesday, Yankees/Red Sox on Friday and Sunday. Fox will have Yankees/Sox on Saturday unless you live three miles from either Oakland or Los Angeles. This is a crappy week for national coverage as the ESPN stuff will get blacked out in my area (due to receiving SNY and YES network feeds).

Might as well throw in the latest Postseason Odds Report from BP.

AL East

Red Sox 98%

Yankees 2%

AL Central

Indians 96%

Tigers 4%

Twins trace

AL West

Angels 99.5%

Mariners .5%

AL wild card

Yankees 84%

Tigers 10%

Mariners 2%

Red Sox 2%

Indians 1%

Blue Jays .3%

Angels .2%

NL East

Mets 98%

Phillies 2%

Braves .16%

NL Central

Brewers 56%

Cubs 36%

Cardinals 9%

Yes, that adds up to 101%. All three were rounded up.

NL West

D'backs 62%

Padres 24%

Dodgers 10%

Rockies 4%

NL wild card

Padres 31%

Phillies 22%

D'backs 20%

Dodgers 13%

Rockies 8%

Braves 3%

Mets 1%

One more note. Dan Giese made his MLB debut yesterday! Giese pitched parts of four seasons in Scranton. He struck out nearly a batter an inning over his minor league career, and struck out five times as many batters as he walked. It's unusual for someone with such sterling credentials never to receive a shot. As it is, he pitched two perfect innings in his debut.

Andy Pettite won MLB's Clutch Performer of the Month Award for August.

In other news, MLB is actually giving out awards for clutchiness now.

Daric Barton is in the line up tonight for the A's to make his MLB debut. God I hope he gives me some reason to even bother watching this team the last few weeks of the season. I've given up on a winning season now I just want them to not finish in last place.

I think ownership will want to bring in someone with more 'experience', I don't know how much of a difference that would make, though. I don't know how much blame you can put on him when pretty much every hitter except for Rios, and maybe Hill, is having a down year.

The Jays signed John McDonald to a 2 year, $3.8 million contract. I love the guy, but that's a joke.

I heard rumours about this. I hoped they weren't true. I like him too, but he's a poor man's David Eckstein, and I don't mean that in a good way.

Guest Gym Class Fallout
Ozzie Guillen for five more years? Wow. Have fun with that one, White Sox fan.

[sic]?

The Jays signed John McDonald to a 2 year, $3.8 million contract. I love the guy, but that's a joke.

I heard rumours about this. I hoped they weren't true. I like him too, but he's a poor man's David Eckstein, and I don't mean that in a good way.

Not just a poor man's David Eckstein. McDonald is a utility infielder, and a tremendous fielder. The problem is that his type is utterly replaceable. The SWB Yankees currently have Angel Chavez in AAA. He's not a prospect, but he's slugged .448 in his AAA career and he's a great defensive player. He is not the only one. Half the teams in AAA have at least one player perfectly capable of being an MLB caliber backup infielder. There is no reason to give a guy like McDonald nearly $2 million a year, or a long term contract at that. And if he's going to start, that's just foolish.

And since I've looked at the stats, I'm going to start beating the Angel Chavez drum. Alberto Gonzales is a prospect based on the notion that he's a very good defensive infielder. Chavez is a year older but much better with the bat and not much worse with the glove. If I had to pick one going forward, I'd take Chavez.

I think he has to start. There's no way they're going to pay someone almost $2 million to be a back-up. This is a really dumb signing, but I feel bad about hating it, since I love watching McDonald play.

Just for fun, I looked up Johnny Mac's numbers on BP. He has an EqA of .225 this season, and a VORP of -8.9. Good job, J.P. Billy Beane sure taught you well.

In fairness, any real objective analysis of McDonald is going to be problematic because his value is in his defense.

I'll give Drew a mulligan this season since I'm guessing it would be hard to keep your mind on your job when your son is in and out of the hospital and having a 7hr surgery at one point too.

I just wonder where Coco Crisp will be playing next season since there's no way Ellsbury isn't penciled in for the CF position next season. Only way I could see him sticking around is if Manny's traded.