TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nate

WWE 24/7 October Discussion

I don't want to be like Dave Scherer and his random thoughts at the end of his recaps (does he still do that ?), but this is just some questions and remarks that never warranted a post on their own.

Did LaParka ever wore regularly that entrance suit, with the hat and skull belt ? During Psicosis' entrance, there was a wild-cat mascot with shades in the background on the left of the screen....what the hell was that ? DJ Ran's predecessor ?

How the hell did Teddy Long passed from being somewhat muscular in the 80's to being fat in the 90's and being skinny as hell in the 00's ?

Those people in the crowd at the Sportatorium were hardcore marks, there's heat in every match. For some weird reason, my favorite wrestler in the old World Class shows is Bugsy McGraw. Go Bugsy Go !

I don't want to be like Dave Scherer and his random thoughts at the end of his recaps (does he still do that ?), but this is just some questions and remarks that never warranted a post on their own.

Did LaParka ever wore regularly that entrance suit, with the hat and skull belt ? During Psicosis' entrance, there was a wild-cat mascot with shades in the background on the left of the screen....what the hell was that ? DJ Ran's predecessor ?

How the hell did Teddy Long passed from being somewhat muscular in the 80's to being fat in the 90's and being skinny as hell in the 00's ?

Those people in the crowd at the Sportatorium were hardcore marks, there's heat in every match. For some weird reason, my favorite wrestler in the old World Class shows is Bugsy McGraw. Go Bugsy Go !

The wildcat was WCW's "mascot"... Wildcat Willy, and no, I'm not making that up.

This may be a controversial opinion, but I think I was digging those World Class shows a bit more when the Freebirds had a lesser role on the show. I was into the whole H & H heel faction with Gary Hart and the black Muslim dude. Kabuki, Dragon, and Checkmate were quite the curious array of heels. And I'll second the comment about Bugsy McGraw, I heard the guy was supposed to be utter shit but I quite like his tag work with Al Madril.

Heenan got a great laugh out of me when, commenting on the action figures for Murraco and Santana being matched up, he said "that's the top of a wedding cake in San Fransisco".

Sivi Afa doing a rana to no reaction as a transition move in 1987 was something else.

I'm watching Raw #4 on 24/7 Online right now. That's one interesting promo by Beefcake about how crappy his life was.

I also love how - for once - Rob Bartlet is 100% correct about something (he reminds Savage that he knocked Yokozuna off his feet - which if memory serves is totally correct, he did so with an axe handle AFTER Yokozuna charged and hit the turnbuckles) but Savage and Vince have to backtrack and be all "uh.. no he didn't! Yokozuna has never been off his feet but Hacksaw Jim Duggan is going to try!"

Guest bp2007

I didn't see the post for the second half 24/7 Online Videos. I was going to add it as I also just watched RAW #4.

Raw: Episode 4February 1, 1993 | Approx. run time: 40 mins.The road to WrestleMania IX stops off at The Manhattan Center for Raw. Watch Tatanka, Doink The Clown, and Yokozuna in action. Plus, Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake makes his triumphant emotional return to the WWE. You won't want to miss what he has to say!

Raw: Diva Halloween Costume Contest October 31, 2005 | Approx. run time: 6 mins.Move over Halle Berry, Candice Michelle is officially the sexiest Catwoman ever! Check out this hot, wild and, at times, very bizarre Diva Halloween costume contest. With six divas trying to win over the crowd, we promise the only true winner will be you!

WCW Halloween Havoc: Chamber of Horrors Match October 27, 1991 | Approx. run time: 19 mins.WCW was known for some of the most outrageous matches ever assembled. In this 1991 Halloween Havoc classic, a Chamber of Horrors Match featured some of the biggest names at the time, including El Gigante, Sting, Cactus Jack and Abdullah the Butcher. Abdullah may be a stranger to some WWE fans, but by the end of the match, he will be one Superstar you'll never forget.

Introducing: Casket Match - Survivor Series, Undertaker vs. Kamala November 25, 1992 | Approx. run time: 15 mins.In the spirit of Halloween, 24/7 Online introduces the first ever Casket Match. Undertaker has become a pro at stuffing his opponents in coffins, but could The Deadman get the monstrous Kamala in one? Check out the debut of what has become an Undertaker signature.

Judgment Day: Mr. America vs. Roddy Piper May 18, 2003 | Approx. run time: 12 mins.At Judgment Day '03, Hall of Famer "Rowdy" Roddy Piper squared off in a grudge match with the mysterious Mr. America. Piper was led to the ring by his right hand man Sean O'Haire and Mr. America came to the ring with the inspirational Zach Gowen. At one point in the match, the managers got involved. Who would survive the distraction and come out on top?

Wrestling Hot-Beds: Mexico - Special Host Hugo Savinovich October 1, 2007 | Approx. run time: 41 mins.Take a trip south of the border with Spanish speaking announcer Hugo Savinovich! This month we look at some of the most talented Superstars from Mexico. Don't miss Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio, extreme lucha libre from ECW and Tito Santana in the first ever WrestleMania match!

Cyber Sunday: Ric Flair & Roddy Piper vs. Spirit Squad November 5, 2006 | Approx. run time: 13 mins.Ric Flair challenged The Spirit Squad to a match at Cyber Sunday for the World Tag Team Championship. There was one problem, nobody knew who Flair's partner would be until the show. Fans voted in Roddy Piper over Dusty Rhodes and Sgt. Slaughter to team with Ric Flair. Find out if The Hot-Rod could help Flair add more gold to his illustrious career.

Taboo Tuesday: Shelton Benjamin vs. Chris Jericho October 18, 2004 | Approx. run time: 17 mins.The first ever match at Taboo Tuesday allowed the fans to choose Chris Jericho's opponent for the Intercontinental Championship. With almost every Raw superstar eligible for the title shot, it was almost impossible for Y2J to prepare for his match. When the voting was all said and done, Shelton Benjamin earned the title shot. Find out if the fans helped Shelton Benjamin make history at Taboo Tuesday.

WWE's Weirdest, Strangest and Most Bizarre Superstars October 1, 2007 | Approx. run time: 41 mins.What does The Boogeyman, Papa Shango, George "The Animal" Steele, Balls Mahoney, The Berzerker, and Phantasio all have in common? They are some of the weirdest, strangest and most bizarre superstars in WWE history. Catch this brand new 24/7 Online special featuring the largest amount of the strangest Superstars ever!

The Hurricane vs. The Rock March 10, 2003 | Approx. run time: 29 mins.In 2006, Gregory Helms become the longest reigning Cruiserweight Champion ever. However, Helms was making history way before wrestling on SmackDown. Competing as the green-haired resident superhero, The Hurricane, Gregory Helms made a name for himself in 2003 by confronting The Rock. Their backstage rivalry finally made it to the ring. Would The Hurricane be able to pull the ultimate upset and give The Rock his final loss on national television?

Bonus Features: All three locker-room encounters between The Rock and The Hurricane are included.

Guest bp2007

So a few notes I picked up on 24/7 Online's second half offering:

The Chamber of Horrors match is ridiculously bad. It's watchable for how about it is. I'm glad I finally got a chance to see it though!

RAW #4 was fun. It felt more like a RAW these days with the promo cut by Beefcake.

Rock vs. Hurricane- I never saw the match before but I never laughed so hard by the promos. As talented as The Rock is, Gregory Helms may be just as talented and underutilized. He is very talented and that match was a lot of fun. I noticed wwe.com is pushing the match by actually interviewing Helms looking back at it.

Weirdest/Strangest/Most Bizarre special was cool too. The matches were just OK but it was cool to finally see Phantasio. WWE Magazine has had a few articles about him so it was neat to finally see his match.

And Wrestling Hotbeds was cool only for the 2 ECW matches shown. The Extreme Lucha Libre was really cool to see.

Marketed properly, a Phantasio gimmick could work as an over midcard act. I marked out seeing him throw some web or whatever out of nowhere.

Cole and Tazz's commentary during Rico/Haas is pretty cool too.

This "July 16, 1995" date for the Berserker/Shango vs Warrior/Undertaker (!!) tag match is obviously wrong.

"Balls, it was more fun working with you than it was with Ernest The Cat Miller"

Guest bp2007
Marketed properly, a Phantasio gimmick could work as an over midcard act. I marked out seeing him throw some web or whatever out of nowhere.

Cole and Tazz's commentary during Rico/Haas is pretty cool too.

This "July 16, 1995" date for the Berserker/Shango vs Warrior/Undertaker (!!) tag match is obviously wrong.

"Balls, it was more fun working with you than it was with Ernest The Cat Miller"

One of the first and only times Josh Matthews was funny.

That Shango/Berserker vs. UT/Warrior match was of course from 1992, probably July of that year and not 1995. In fact I think I have seen that before on some old Coliseum tape.

I'm glad my updates came through at 12am exactly (actually they were there at 11:58!). I couldn't wait to watch the Hart family reunion - I FF'd through the show (I also didn't remember that Owen/Bulldog was a full match) just to see that segment, then went to sleep. It's funny - I know Bret and Owen's "family issues" were a fabricated storyline but 10.5 years later it feels just as good to see their on screen characters hug and make up as it did in 1997.

Guest flairfan
No Halloween Havoc this time...hopefully next week, cause the lineup looks shitty.

Yeah, I was hoping they would show Havoc 89 this week too.. Oh well..

I'm guessing it's coming next week and not just missing on your systems (though I'm not holding my breath on getting it on Cogeco) because:

1. Next week's selection is pretty baron.

2. PYBO's seem to come on during the last week of the month's schedule.

The WCW show this time around is pretty good... some lengthy matches with Ole vs. Magnum and Flair vs. Ronnie Garvin plus Tully is without Baby Doll, which is one more step closer to getting him with J.J. Dillon, and then you know the rest...

What on Earth is the "WCW Women's Cruiserweight Title"? Nash's end of show nWo promos are much more interesting than Hogan's.

Raw was good times, of course. Pat Patterson beating up HHH was tremendous. I noticed they kept putting over Mankind putting the mandible claw on Gerald Brisco over the weekend... was there some plan to put Patterson and Brisco in the ring?

What on Earth is the "WCW Women's Cruiserweight Title"? Nash's end of show nWo promos are much more interesting than Hogan's.

Raw was good times, of course. Pat Patterson beating up HHH was tremendous. I noticed they kept putting over Mankind putting the mandible claw on Gerald Brisco over the weekend... was there some plan to put Patterson and Brisco in the ring?

The title was an attempt to showcase some Japanese female wrestlers. It was doomed right from the start, though, as very few people cared and most matches occurred on the WCW Saturday morning shows.

Well considering the match on Nitro in the tournament was awful, I could see people not caring.

Crush and Savio Vega using the Demolition Decapitation (with Crush being the guy doing the jump) was a nice touch.

Did anyone understand that Flair/Piper promo? What was this talk about "ending the Nasty Boys in 93"?

Strange. From a build and history perspective, the Austin match makes so much more sense, especially since it had that awesome follow-up on Raw (which may or may not be shown on 24/7 - Thursday Raw Thursday set a precedent that they can show non-compete weeks in the MNW series). Plus Sid was around in the summer too for some random Raw cameo two Raws after Canadian Stampede. He was in a six-man tag at the KOTR too I think (Sid/LOD vs Owen/Bulldog/Neidhart?)

See I missed that PPV, the last I remember seeing Sid in the WWF was when Austin was on the stage ready to face off against the Hart Foundation and as his music played, Sid, HBK and the Patriot came out to join him. Then they all did random interviews throughout the night, but there was no match. That would have been a fun 4 on 4 (meaning one of the Harts would have to sit it out) for IYH: Canadian Stampede for something.

Skimming upcoming Raw results, I see Sid vs Mankind doesn't even happen next week (Austin is listed as a substitute).

Also: Prepare for some brutal Raws (the one taped in South Africa sounds very, very boring).

Does anyone remember around which time Faarooq disbands the NOD and starts fresh with D'Lo Brown? When does Kama Mustafa come along? When does Ahmed turn heel and join them? When is The Rock reborn? I know it was around the summer of 97, I just can't recall the exact situations.