TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanhalen

I want to visit the States

It's always been a lifetime dream of mine to visit the USA and travel round that country, now I'm in a very good job and have the ability to do this now, trouble is, I've never been a "tourist" type of person and I really want to see the USA as it is, rather than some bullshit travel experience, I was thinking of travelling round the entire country for three months, where would you guys recommend?

Austin TX and Portland OR. My old hometown of Tampa FL. Atlanta. All enjoyable cities that aren't universally known as touristy.

Even though it's about the most tourist driven place in the country, you ought to go to San Francisco. I live here, so it doesn't feel touristy to me, but I still thoroughly enjoy it.

And stay the hell out of Arizona.

Traveling around the states isn't as easy as it is around Europe. This country doesn't embrace rail travel like you guys across the pond have; if you're really intent on seeing as much as you can, you'll either have to do it by bus (not recommended) or rent a car (which can be pricey).

If neither of those are terribly appealing, you should just stick to one or two major cities.

I recommend Chicago, of course.

Austin is indeed a very good idea. Stay away from Dallas for the most part. It's really a bunch of strip malls and car traffic. But..Kennedy was shot here. It's a decent landmark.

That's really not as bad as it used to be. I got lost in Harlem at one in the morning a while back and nothing even remotely bad happened. I wasn't even scared. I eventually ran into Jodie Foster shooting the Brave One and one of the bodyguards invited me to a DJ Clue? show and then gave me directions. True story.

I've never been to LA, but isn't just a bunch of sprawl? And I've been to Austin; I suppose it's a neat place to live, but what appeal would it have for a tourist? A bunch of hip coffee houses and nightclubs?

I mentioned trains up there; you can ride the rails pretty easily from Philadelphia (which you don't want to visit) to NYC and Boston (both of which are worth checking out). However, if you really want to see America, you'd be better off going to some small-to-mid-size city. You don't really want to see America.

If you're into underground rock scenes, then hit Boston. We got a decent amount of underground metal, punk, indie, and even a growing underground rap scene. You'd prolly be able to hit a Dropkick Murphys or Robby Roadsteamer show, too. Both play up here all the time, since both are from Boston.

I've never been to LA, but isn't just a bunch of sprawl? And I've been to Austin; I suppose it's a neat place to live, but what appeal would it have for a tourist? A bunch of hip coffee houses and nightclubs?

He said he didn't want it to be touristy. It's an American city that isn't a shithole. That's good enough.

As for LA, yeah it's a bunch of sprawl and a lot of other crap too. I look at LA and I see nothing worth liking.

Hm. You can still go to a place like a New York and just walk around, soaking up the atmosphere. That's what I like to do; I've been to NYC a few times and not once did I go to the Statue of Liberty or any other touristy type thing. Central Park is really nice, though.

Still, I wouldn't recommend Austin. Nothing there that you couldn't experience in another city that's bigger and has more of it—NYC, San Francisco, etc. It's not like there's much else to look at in Texas, either.

There are a lot of rides in Disneyland where you sit in a car.

And no, I absolutely wouldn't recommend going to Austin of all places over NY or SF, but I was trying to give a wider range of places that are ok and aren't commonly thought of as touristy. I've never been to the statue of liberty in all my trips to NY either. That's my favorite thing to do as well, just walk around, take in the culture. Some touristy things are ok. I like Coney Island. And I'll go to the pizza places where there's an hour wait.

And of course, living in the SF area, I never do the touristy things either. To me, there's nothing better than seeing crust punks vomit in the street and homeless guys with signs that say "fuck you pay me". Not to make my city sound like a cesspool, it's just that there's something for everyone.

Oh, I'd also like to take in either a college or an NFL game, are they easy to get tickets for, or is pretty much every teams game sold out straight off?

Oh, I'd also like to take in either a college or an NFL game, are they easy to get tickets for, or is pretty much every teams game sold out straight off?

Depends. I'm sure if you're willing to pay extra you could get tickets for football-crazed places. If you want to go to a place where interest isn't as high you' could probably get them in advance, but I'm sure the experience wouldn't be as fun.

That's really not as bad as it used to be. I got lost in Harlem at one in the morning a while back and nothing even remotely bad happened. I wasn't even scared. I eventually ran into Jodie Foster shooting the Brave One and one of the bodyguards invited me to a DJ Clue? show and then gave me directions. True story.

Did you go to the Clue show?

You can get tickets to most any NFL game. Just prepared to get raped on the prices by whatever scalper standing out front you buy them from.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Go to Omaha, Nebraska. I can't think of a more thoroughly normal mid-sized American city.

It was pretty good. He sounded a little off, cause, you know, Clue has a pretty distinct voice, but it looked like him. Maybe he had a cold or something.

Re: Arizona. It's way too hot. And what's there? Vegas is tourism defined, and Arizona doesn't even have gambling and whores. If you want to stay away from tourism, stay out of the desert, because obviously everything there is tourism or else nobody would ever go there. That goes for New Mexico too. Actually Arizona does have some nice natural stuff, Grand Canyon obviously, but it's the same as it looks on tv. Monument Valley, where they shot a bunch of John Wayne movies, but that's partially in Utah.

Oh, go to Utah. That place is a trip. Lovely scenery, and Salt Lake City is laid out in a perfect square, with the Mormon temple in the middle, also worth seeing (the temple, that is). As Mormon as the place is, there's also a strong anti Mormon sentiment going around. There's lots of funny Mormon crap in the SLC airport, but of course that's total tourist bait.

I'd recommend NYC and Boston. Though if you want to visit somewhere a bit smaller, my old stomping ground of Portland, Maine is a really nice place to visit. It's got plenty of outdoorsy stuff and it's got the 2nd highest restaurants per capita in the country and the lowest number of fast food restaurants per capita. Though how nice it is really depends on the time of year you visit, from early May to early October, it's pretty nice. After that, it's ghost town.

While you're in the states, you should take a jaunt up to Montreal, that's one hell of a city.