TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanhalen

I want to visit the States

Re: Arizona. It's way too hot. And what's there? Vegas is tourism defined, and Arizona doesn't even have gambling and whores. If you want to stay away from tourism, stay out of the desert, because obviously everything there is tourism or else nobody would ever go there. That goes for New Mexico too. Actually Arizona does have some nice natural stuff, Grand Canyon obviously, but it's the same as it looks on tv. Monument Valley, where they shot a bunch of John Wayne movies, but that's partially in Utah.

I live here. you could sleep on my futon.

Don`t do a cross-country trip. You can get a favorable microcosm of the whole country by staying in California. Nature-wise it has all of the beaches, mountains, forests, deserts, etc. you could want, including snowy areas. The people in Southern California are different enough from the North so that you`ll have a different enviornment to observe. Go to the east area, away from the coast to get that kind of Middle-America feel.

LA would be difficult to navigate without a car because it is sprawly, but it`s worth it.

Oh, go to Utah. That place is a trip. Lovely scenery, and Salt Lake City is laid out in a perfect square, with the Mormon temple in the middle, also worth seeing (the temple, that is). As Mormon as the place is, there's also a strong anti Mormon sentiment going around. There's lots of funny Mormon crap in the SLC airport, but of course that's total tourist bait.

A-fucking-men. Utah is awesome. Especially in the spring. Great skiing. Salt Lake City is gorgeous. It's the perfect place for what this guy described. It's not very touristy or crowded but the weather is great(of course, I live in the Southeast, so I'm used to suffocating humidity) and the architecture is beautiful. Lots of stuff there built for the Olympics that is pretty cool, too. I have relatives in SLC who live in the mountains and have fucking coyotes in their backyard.

Where are you from? I'm asking because depending where you're from, the South may or may not be the place for you.

Not ALL of the South, mind you, but if you have a thick accent, I'd stay away from the following states:

Mississippi

Alabama

All of Louisiana except New Orleans

Southeast North Carolina (except Wilmington)

The Florida Panhandle.

Perhaps Arkansas.

The reason I say to stay away is, of course, you will be ridiculed by the men and stalked by butter-faced women with a preternatural instinct to mate with fresh DNA.

Thanks for all your help guys, and I'd rather just avoid all the bible bashing that allegedly goes on in those deep south states.

That's really not as bad as it used to be. I got lost in Harlem at one in the morning a while back and nothing even remotely bad happened. I wasn't even scared. I eventually ran into Jodie Foster shooting the Brave One and one of the bodyguards invited me to a DJ Clue? show and then gave me directions. True story.

Try getting lost in South Bronx.

Go to Buffalo. Shithole in the making with bandwagon fans, and can find reasonable non sold out tickets for an NFL game. Wait a few months to catch a hockey game, tickets would be dirt cheap. Make a 15 minute trip up north and you'll be at Niagara Falls. It's touristy on the Canadian side, but coming in the winter months will be cheaper and a hell of a lot of less tourists.

Actually, my point was that Harlem isn't really bad anymore. That's why it seemed like an odd response. I know that ghettos still exist, I was talking about that particular one.

You know where else isn't that bad anymore? Compton. Compton actually had a pretty short run, beginning with the Watts riots when all the white people moved out, and peaking when crack first came out. Now it's mostly Mexican, but the elected officials are still primarily black.

Compton was immortalized by NWA, but it was by that time really no worse than Watts or Long Beach, and now might even be the safest of the three. Pretty bad in the mid 80s, though. They were averaging 100 murders a year and the police force disbanded. Remember that Fresh Prince where Carlton was staying with Jazz, and they were trying to stop him from going to MacArthur park? I used to hang out in MacArthur park. It's not so bad.

A lot of ghettos are somewhat overrated if you actually live in them. Just mind your own business, and people tend to do the same. Don't sell drugs or join a gang, people aren't so concerned with you. If you live there, it's less likely you'll get robbed cause you obviously don't have any money. Of course there's exceptions to all that, but getting shot for no reason just walking down the street isn't an everyday concern. Does happen, though.