TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Divisional Series Thread

Phils in 4

Cubs in 3

Indians in 5

Sawx in 3

I think Philly-Chicago and Boston-NYY would be best for baseball as a business and provide the best matchups for the fans.

Why do fans always care about what is best for business? We don't run the business and it is hardly a pre-determined 'sport' anyways. How about we as fans just enjoy a matchup between the two best teams (or your home team if they happen to still be in), whether they happen to play in New York or Cleveland or wherever?

Seems like a lot of people here thinks the Angels will just roll over and die for the Red Sox. How odd.

I've seen this train of thought everywhere and it's absolutely amazing. Everyone writes off the Angels because they play the majority of their games past everyone's bedtime. I think they'll win the whole thing, unfortunately. Their pitching staff is real strong, and although I hate this style of play, their run manufacturing and that of other teams HAS been proven as a winning playoff formula. The Angels do it better than everyone else.

Seems like a lot of people here thinks the Angels will just roll over and die for the Red Sox. How odd.

The Sox just own John Lackey (6.26 ERA, 1.92 WHIP in 11 career starts) and Vlad is hurt. I don't see them being competitive.

LA's main strength is their pitching and their staff hasn't really done well against Boston at all: Lackey's got a 6.27 career ERA against the Red Sox in 11 starts and Jered Weaver has been lit up for almost seven runs per nine in the two starts he had this year. Guerrero has been banged up and Gary Matthews Jr. isn't even on the postseason roster, due to his knee. I don't think a sweep is an unrealistic possibility.

But in the postseason, Lackey has pitched in 8 games and had a 3.26 ERA and 1.36 WHIP. He didn't play in the series in which the Angels were smacked by the SAWX. Not only that, he's having the season of his life. For some reason I don't see things being the same as in the past, even though he was beaten by the Sawx twice this year.

A questionmark for them is Jered Weaver. Nobody knows what he's going to bring to the table this series, and I expect the Red Sox to jump all over him and take that game. The series will go 5 games. I just don't see any teams getting swept this time 'round.

I really want to see the Cubs go all the way. I do not want to see the Angels or Indians win, the Indians being the absolute worst possible champion for me. Any other team would be not so bad.

Explain. Any team is fine with me except Chicago.

Edit: I lied. Colorado would suck as well.

Lackey may have turned in a ridiculous season, but he's 0-2 with an 8.38 ERA in two starts against the Red Sox this year. When you factor in the rest of his career against Boston, that sample doesn't seem so far out of line.

Obviously, anything can happen - it's a short series with the season on the line. I just think that the odds are against the Angels to put something together against a Boston team that has outclassed them in almost every phase of the game.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

I dunno, man, watch out for that Reggie Willits!

Walt Jocketty is out after 12 years running the Cardinals.

Yeah, it was two bad games this year. Since I just checked something, Lackey only gave up 3 runs in his first start of the year against the Sox, in Boston. What's so bad about that? The second start is the one where he gave up a boatload of earned runs in a hurry, all of them coming in the first inning. It's not like he was battered all game. I did more checking, and although he lost some games, he's pitched well against the Sox since start of 2005. The beatings were early in his career and slant the stats a bit. The gamelogs at baseball-reference have that info.

As you said, anything can happen. Especially when you have a strong bullpen, as both teams do.

I dunno, man, watch out for that Reggie Willits!

Walt Jocketty is out after 12 years running the Cardinals.

Everyone here already assumes he's coming to clean the mess Krivsky made. I'm also not a fan of the growing speculation about LaRussa or Brenly.

He still always gives up a ton of hits to Boston, though, and given that, he's lucky he hasn't been beaten around worse. He gave up 20 hits to the Sox in less than 10 IP this year, and he's never had a start against them where he's allowed fewer than nine baserunners.

Nothing's really for sure when it comes to postseason baseball, but the Red Sox have the upper hand in their series with the Angels. LAA is in a situation where Matthews, Jr. is off the postseason roster and Vlad's injury will force him into the DH role. That significantly impacts their outfield defense and the team's pitching staff tends to put the ball in play a lot. Not a good comination.

As noted, Lackey has struggled against the Sox in the past, and the late-season demise of Scott Shields has their normally strong bullpen looking like a weakness. That's not a good sign when facing a team that gets to the bullpen faster than any other due to everyone in the lineup taking a massive amount of pitches.

It's upsetting to me that Kaz Matsui is hitting in a big spot in the playoffs right now.

It's upsetting to me that he's still playing baseball at all.

One thing I've noticed in the last two innings of the game, Dale Scott has a very low strike-zone. Maybe too low.

Well that was disappointing. No real dramatics either, a game that was really just there. Great job by the Rockies' pitchers to shut down Utley and Howard, showing why you can not bat these guys back to back. Particularly against a team with a great lefty reliever like Brian Fuentes.

I really want to see the Cubs go all the way. I do not want to see the Angels or Indians win, the Indians being the absolute worst possible champion for me. Any other team would be not so bad.

Explain. Any team is fine with me except Chicago.

Edit: I lied. Colorado would suck as well.

*points to sig*

I'm from Illinois, and my favorite team is the White Sox.

Yeah, the Phillies just looked flat there. Not like the same team that stormed through the month of September.

Can't say I wouldn't be happy to see them get knocked out handily though.

Guest Gym Class Fallout
Steve Stone's presence in the booth just made this game a must-watch.

Haha. Did you catch the Steve Stone Show on Monday? Some restaurant owner in Buffalo Grove had a live spot to talk about his restaurant in exchange for some free food (this is why radio is great). Bernsie went through all the typical questions for when radio hosts have to do this, you know, where are you located, is it a kid-friendly place since I have kids, all that jazz. Stoney is sitting there and asks the guy "So, what's your specialty?"

"Well, I guess I'd have to say our chicken fingers."

"Chicken fingers are your specialty? What do you do to your chicken fingers that distinguishes them from every other restaurant in the world?"

"...I'd have to say our batter."

"Oh, your batter. Okay, that makes sense."

Way to totally just pants your sponsor on the air. Steve's a consummate pro.

Stone's good, but who's the yutz in the booth with him? And what's with the sound; the crowd noise is barely coming through on Ortiz's homer.