TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

MLB Off-season Thread

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Did Mike & The Mad Dog mention if any current Mets were on the list? I'm sure a bunch of former Mets will be on it, I'm just curious if I'm gonna end up finding out that Reyes or Wright was juicing which would just about end any semblance of my rooting for that organization.

Mike said the NY teams are not going to be happy.

Oh yeah?

Well, if we're doing an informal steroid pool, I'm picking Carlos Beltran.

Real interesting trade there. I surmise that puts Luke Scott in left field, Mike Costanzo to AAA Norfolk for a season and the three pitchers into the Spring Training competition. I'll have to take a look later and get an idea of where they rank in the Orioles system. I imagine Tejada moves to third base in Houston, but that's iffy yet. Houston suddenly has seven infielders (Tejada, Everett, Matsui, Burke, Wigginton, Loretta and Lance Berkman).

Luke Scott will be better all around in LF than the combination of Jay Payton (who goes back to being a platoon player at best where he belongs), Jay Gibbons (who shouldnt even be on the 2008 roster but will be cause no one's stupid enough to take him now), Freddie Bynum (hes fast ya know), Tike Redman (resigned to a 1 year deal, could be in the running for CF job), Brandon Fahey (?), John Knott (?), Scott Moore (who'll be the 3B once Mora is dealt) and Luis Hernandez (probably the new starting SS unless more deals are made), all of which played some LF last year. Consistency in LF with Scott and RF with Markakis make me feel really good about the OF even with the ? at CF.

Costanzo made 34 errors at 3B last year and 25 the year before, but he's got a good enough bat that He'll more than likely get moved to play 1B and could probably make a run at starting there in 2009 given the total lack of depth at 1b in the Os organization.

Patton is the one Im most eager about as he's projected as a #2 starter in the vein of a Maddux or Halladay with really good command of his pitches and pretty good strikeout numbers, and hes only 22. He'll easily make the starting rotation in 08 no matter what Bedard does.

The other 2 pitchers are projected as bullpen filler, and honestly they couldnt be any worse than the guys that were in the bullpen this year.

Overall, I think they probably could have done better but Im satisfied with the deal, especially if Patton pans out.

Current Projected lineup looks like -

2B - Roberts

3B - Mora

RF - Markakis

DH - Huff

LF - Scott

1B - Millar

C - R.Hernandez

CF - Redman/???

SS - L.Hernandez

Bedard

Guthrie

Cabrera

Loewen

Patton

Now we're just waiting for the other shoe (Bedard trade) to drop.

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

Freddie Bynum still has a job in the major leagues, huh. Simply stunning.

Real interesting trade there. I surmise that puts Luke Scott in left field, Mike Costanzo to AAA Norfolk for a season and the three pitchers into the Spring Training competition. I'll have to take a look later and get an idea of where they rank in the Orioles system. I imagine Tejada moves to third base in Houston, but that's iffy yet. Houston suddenly has seven infielders (Tejada, Everett, Matsui, Burke, Wigginton, Loretta and Lance Berkman).

Luke Scott will be better all around in LF than the combination of Jay Payton (who goes back to being a platoon player at best where he belongs), Jay Gibbons (who shouldnt even be on the 2008 roster but will be cause no one's stupid enough to take him now), Freddie Bynum (hes fast ya know), Tike Redman (resigned to a 1 year deal, could be in the running for CF job), Brandon Fahey (?), John Knott (?), Scott Moore (who'll be the 3B once Mora is dealt) and Luis Hernandez (probably the new starting SS unless more deals are made), all of which played some LF last year. Consistency in LF with Scott and RF with Markakis make me feel really good about the OF even with the ? at CF.

Costanzo made 34 errors at 3B last year and 25 the year before, but he's got a good enough bat that He'll more than likely get moved to play 1B and could probably make a run at starting there in 2009 given the total lack of depth at 1b in the Os organization.

Patton is the one Im most eager about as he's projected as a #2 starter in the vein of a Maddux or Halladay with really good command of his pitches and pretty good strikeout numbers, and hes only 22. He'll easily make the starting rotation in 08 no matter what Bedard does.

The other 2 pitchers are projected as bullpen filler, and honestly they couldnt be any worse than the guys that were in the bullpen this year.

Overall, I think they probably could have done better but Im satisfied with the deal, especially if Patton pans out.

Current Projected lineup looks like -

2B - Roberts

3B - Mora

RF - Markakis

DH - Huff

LF - Scott

1B - Millar

C - R.Hernandez

CF - Redman/???

SS - L.Hernandez

Bedard

Guthrie

Cabrera

Loewen

Patton

Now we're just waiting for the other shoe (Bedard trade) to drop.

Wow, what a team. I bet they don't even look good in HD.

Today is the day.

I can't wait for the list of names.

I love baseball above and far beyond any other sport...and I'm really hoping that my favortie players aren't in there.

So...I go to sleep now hoping that I wake up without Vlad, Jeter or Ichiro on that list.

I don't really now what it would feel like for a hero to let you down. And I hope tomorrow I can say the same.

I don't really now what it would feel like for a hero to let you down.

One time Spider-Man was fighting his most successful clone, Ben Reilly, and Mary-Jane tried to break it up, and Spider-Man ended up throwing her into a wall across the room. I was like "oh, dude, Spidey, no!"

Today is the day.

I don't really now what it would feel like for a hero to let you down. And I hope tomorrow I can say the same.

Let's hope...

Today's timeline (all times EST), courtesy Sports Network:

Mitchell Report release & press conference: 2 p.m.

Selig press conference: 4:30 p.m.

Players' association press conference: 6 p.m.

It'll just be funny to see if there's any unobvious players like Craig Counsell or So Taguchi end up on the list, so people can say "They should demand a refund" ad nauseum.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Blue Jays are "on the verge" of signing David Eckstein.

Hard to believe that Eckstein, who sucks, is an offensive upgrade, but it's true since the Jays insist on starting John McDonald.

I'd save the money and just start Marco Scutaro to tell you the truth, or deal one of those young pitchers with decent upside to the Rockies for Clint Barmes.

Today is the day.

I love baseball above and far beyond any other sport...and I'm really hoping that my favortie players aren't in there.

So...I go to sleep now hoping that I wake up without Vlad, Jeter or Ichiro on that list.

Oh wow...tad melodramatic, aren't we?

I would just love to see Derek Jeter on the list. He won't be but it'd be an early Christmas present for sure.

Today is the day.

This reminded me of that post after Alex Rodriguez hit his 500th homer, about how "we're so lucky to have him and see all these moments" with a bunch of A-Rod pictures in the same post.

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Blue Jays are "on the verge" of signing David Eckstein.

Hard to believe that Eckstein, who sucks, is an offensive upgrade, but it's true since the Jays insist on starting John McDonald.

I'd save the money and just start Marco Scutaro to tell you the truth, or deal one of those young pitchers with decent upside to the Rockies for Clint Barmes.

Clint Barmes? He's worse at the plate than McDonald.

You know, what is this nonsense that Eckstein sucks while I am thinking about it. Yes, he is overrated for his scrappiness. But you have a shortstop with OBPs of .363, .350 and .356 the last three seasons. Miguel Tejada's OBP over the same span is five points higher, and he just got traded for five players.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/shareit/8wtm

Ignoring power? It's really unnecessary for a leadoff hitter.

You know, what is this nonsense that Eckstein sucks while I am thinking about it. Yes, he is overrated for his scrappiness. But you have a shortstop with OBPs of .363, .350 and .356 the last three seasons. Miguel Tejada's OBP over the same span is five points higher, and he just got traded for five players.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/shareit/8wtm

Ignoring power? It's really unnecessary for a leadoff hitter.

It's a running joke at Fire Joe Morgan. It's funny, but everyone parroted it until it took on a life of it's own.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

You don't think a shortstop who has to put every ounce of strength in his body into basic throws in order to get them to first base on time sucks? Have you seen David Eckstein throw to first? It's like it's in slow motion.

I believe shortstops who struggle to get the ball to first base suck and should play second base or not at all.

Adam Everett signed a 1-yr., $4.5 million deal with the Twins only 12-hours after being non-tendered by the 'Stros. Adam Everett is (was?) obviously the best defensive shortstop in baseball, but, if anything, going to the American League greatly decreases his chances at winning a Gold Glove.

Adam Everett signed a 1-yr., $4.5 million deal with the Twins only 12-hours after being non-tendered by the 'Stros. Adam Everett is (was?) obviously the best defensive shortstop in baseball, but, if anything, going to the American League greatly decreases his chances at winning a Gold Glove.

Why? There's no obvious front-runner and if he plays a full year, he's the top choice.

Why? There's no obvious front-runner and if he plays a full year, he's the top choice.

453px-JeterSmilingt.JPG

Edit: Obviously I'm talking about Jeter...not Marlon Anderson (Is that Marlon Anderson?).