TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Has anyone ever fasted for an extended period of time?

Guest Vitamin X

Same here.

That said, for a while earlier tis year to regulate my weight when I wasn't getting much exercise and just for detoxification purposes, I did 36 hour fasts on a weekly basis. I read some book, forget the exact title of it but it's in the detox/nutrition section of any bookstore or library, which talks about the benefits of fasting. Some good advice it gave was to cut down your diet to just some basic greens and water, and fruit juices. By doing this, you "prep" your body for fasting, then you can survive purely on liquids for a while. The author of the book claimed it was incredibly easy to go for days or weeks at a time after doing it, but jumping right into it at first can be a grueling experience.

Most I've done without drugs is 3 1/2 days, most I've done with help of drugs is 13. That might've been longer actually considering I'd lost track of time, but I do know it was at least 13.

Ok, this is definitely on.

Another girl in my lab is going to do all-liquid, which I think sucks, because at first she said she would do it with me.

I'd have loved to see the differences in a 115 lb. girl and 225 lb. man. Oh well.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

This thread has to document your progress. We'll respond by posting video of people eating delicious meals and pictures of lobster tails.

I think Mik should try and hold out until Thanksgiving. That way he'll have a delicious feast surrounded by family and friends to bring him back to life.

Incidentally, and I promise I'm not trying to take over this thread, because I'm not the kind of guy who would ever think to do that, I'm one of those fat guys with big breasts. Now, I've recently started running at a local health club. Is there any way to ensure that my breasts will shrink at the same rate as my stomach?

Well, everything should change proportionally right? I mean, if all else fails you could get breast reduction surgery, Superbad be damned.

Going until Thanksgiving and breaking the fast with a meal like that would wreak havoc on my body.

As for today, well it's been about 16 hours since I last ate and I'm a bit hungry now. I haven't been all day, even though people made it a point to eat in front of me.

It's very easy to hold out from eating at work, because I'm really busy. Now that I'm home and with some free time... it's probably going to be harder. But I'm still feeling great and although I have some slight hunger pains, they are not a distraction.

I'm feeling about as good as I can be about this after 3/4 a day.

You're having hunger pains after 16 hours? Like, more than just your stomach growling?

Yeah there is a difference.

I did a week long starvation experiment where we had regulated amounts of calories per meal (so I was eating regularly but it was like 3 saltines and 6 oz. of OJ for breakfast stuff) and the first day I was doing pretty good, you'll hit a hard stretch around day 3, but after that your body should get used to it's new caloric intake and you'll get sort of a release from (or you'll just ignore it better) the pain. Although won't this just mean your body will take the weight back on fast since you are telling your body that there is no food and it'll convert all food into fat cells for the next time you go into a famine?

I'll frequently forget to eat for 24 hour periods or a weekend or something depending on what I'm doing.

You're having hunger pains after 16 hours? Like, more than just your stomach growling?

Yeah there is a difference.

I did a week long starvation experiment where we had regulated amounts of calories per meal (so I was eating regularly but it was like 3 saltines and 6 oz. of OJ for breakfast stuff) and the first day I was doing pretty good, you'll hit a hard stretch around day 3, but after that your body should get used to it's new caloric intake and you'll get sort of a release from (or you'll just ignore it better) the pain. Although won't this just mean your body will take the weight back on fast since you are telling your body that there is no food and it'll convert all food into fat cells for the next time you go into a famine?

I'll frequently forget to eat for 24 hour periods or a weekend or something depending on what I'm doing.

No - it's just a week. There will be no long term changes to my metabolism. It might be slightly lower for a week or two, but it will return to normal.

In terms of pains, oh, no not even close. My stomach isn't even growling. I was just using a euphemism for the feeling of hunger... not actual hunger pains.

Sorry for the lack of updates.

I made it through Tuesday no problems... so first 60 hours or so were ok.

Wednesday was rough. I was tired, dizzy when I stood up too fast, felt lethargic all day... started craving food.

Today I made it to lunch... or about 84 hours in when I gave up. It was just too much. I could barely move this morning and I felt terrible.

It felt so good to eat.

No puking or anything crazy like that. I had absolutely no desire to keep going, though. It drained the life out of me.

Oh well. I gave it a shot and 84 hours isn't terrible.

Didn't you also say you're overweight? 11 pounds seems like a rather small loss if that's the case, since fat people supposedly shed a lot of excess skin during the early stage of weight loss and all.