TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 11/13 - 11/17

This used to be Rivalry Week but with the 12 game schedule more and more conferences have pushed back their schedules by a week so there are very few traditional rivalry games this week, in fact only teams from the Big Ten will be playing their final game of the season this week (Edit: And five other teams, but who's counting?). Even with last week's results the Ohio State/Michigan is still the biggest game of the week with a Rose Bowl bid on the line. Other big game of note is BC/Clemson with the winner advancing to the ACC Championship Game. The Top 3 all have a chance to get fat on some of the worst teams in their conferences. Oregon in particular with a national audience on Thursday night will probably try to run up the score if they have the opportunity to do so as they don't have the same control over their destiny as LSU and Kansas have at the moment.

Network/Basic Cable Schedule

TUESDAY

Toledo at Ball State, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPN2

WEDNESDAY

Akron at Miami of Ohio, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPN2

THURSDAY

#2 Oregon at Arizona, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

FRIDAY

#16 Hawaii at Nevada, 11:00/8:00 PM, ESPN2

SATURDAY

#7 Ohio State at #21 Michigan, Noon/9:00 AM, ABC

Northwestern at #19 Illinois, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

Syracuse at #24 Connecticut, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN2

#5 Missouri at Kansas State, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, FSN

Duke at Notre Dame, 2:30 PM/11:30 AM, NBC

#1 LSU at Mississippi, 3:30/12:30 PM, CBS

Penn State at Michigan State, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC/ESPN*

Miami at #10 Virginia Tech, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC/ESPN*

Iowa State at #3 Kansas, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

California at Washington, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

Oklahoma State at Baylor, 7:00/4:00 PM, FSN

#6 West Virginia at #22 Cincinnati, 7:45/4:45 PM, ESPN

#17 Boston College at #15 Clemson, 7:45/4:45 PM, ESPN2

#4 Oklahoma at Texas Tech, 8:00/5:00 PM, ABC

Digital Cable/Satellite/Gameplan Schedule

THURSDAY

North Texas at Arkansas State, 7:00/4:00 PM, GP

SATURDAY

Tulsa at Army, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN Classic

Maryland at Florida State, Noon/9:00 AM, LFS*/GP

North Carolina at Georgia Tech, Noon/9:00 AM, LFS*/GP

Pittsburgh at Rutgers, Noon/9:00 AM, GP

Florida Atlantic at #12 Florida, Noon/9:00 AM, GP

#23 Kentucky at #9 Georgia, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, LFS*/GP

BYU at Wyoming, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, Mtn.

Vanderbilt at #20 Tennessee, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, GP

Idaho at #18 Boise State, 3:00 PM/Noon, GP

Northern Illinois at Navy, 3:30/12:30 PM, CSTV

#25 Wisconsin at Minnesota, 3:30/12:30 PM, BTN*

Purdue at Indiana, 3:30/12:30 PM, BTN*

Western Michigan at Iowa, 3:30/12:30 PM, BTN*

N.C. State at Wake Forest, 4:00/1:00 PM, ESPNU

New Mexico at Utah, 5:30/2:30 PM, Mtn.

Southern Miss at UTEP, 7:30/4:30 PM, CSTV

Louisville at South Florida, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPNU

All Other Div. I-A Games

FRIDAY

Central Michigan at Eastern Michigan

SATURDAY

Kent State at Temple

Bowling Green at Buffalo

Mississippi State at Arkansas

Georgia Southern at Colorado State

Utah State at New Mexico State

San Diego State at Air Force

Louisiana-Monroe at Alabama

Tulane at Rice

UCF at SMU

UAB at Memphis

Marshall at Houston

Oregon State at Washington State

Louisiana-Lafayette at FIU

San Jose State at Louisiana Tech

UNLV at TCU

Guest Smues

So wierd this year. Usually this weekend would be the apple cup and UW's last game of the year, instead it's against Cal and there's two games left after it.

Duke at Notre Dame, 2:30 PM/11:30 AM, NBC

At least the XFL will no longer be the lowest point in the history of NBC sports. This has to be the worst matchup ever broadcast on national television.

Also, in addition to the Big Ten championship and the ACC Atlantic championship, we also have the likely determining game for the Big East title. UConn still controls their own destiny if they beat WVU on the road, but in all likelihood, the Cincy/WVU winner will finish as the Big East champion.

Mike Tranghese has to be praying that WVU wins the Big East. UConn winning would be a nightmare for the Big East and only start the goofy talk again of stripping the league of its BCS bid. And Cincy is just....Cincy.

I've actually praised Cincy quite a bit this year, but anyone who actually lost to U of L this year (not to mention Pitt) shouldn't go to the BCS.

FCS Matchups... A lot of interesting conference games and a heralded rivalry thrown into the mix!

FCS Game of the Week Ivy Conference Rivalry: Harvard (9-0) @ Yale (7-2)

Colonial Athletic Game: UMass (8-2) @ Hofstra (7-3)

SWAC: Alabama A&M (8-2) @ Prairie View (6-3)

Big Sky In State Rivalry: Montana (10-0) @ Montana State (6-4)

Great West Border Rivalry: North Dakota State (10-0) @ South Dakota State (6-4)

Southland Game: Central Arkansas (6-4) @ McNeese State (10-0)

Colonial Athletic Game: Delaware (8-2) @ Villanova (6-4)

MEAC Game: Winstom-Salem State (6-4) @ Norfolk State (7-3)

Northeast Game: Albany (7-3) @ Central Connecticut State (6-4)

Run and Shoot Watch: Portland State (2-8. 307 PF) @ Northern Colorado (1-10. 384 PA)

FCS Matchups... A lot of interesting conference games and a heralded rivalry thrown into the mix!

FCS Game of the Week Ivy Conference Rivalry: Harvard (9-0) @ Yale (7-2)

Colonial Athletic Game: UMass (8-2) @ Hofstra (7-3)

SWAC: Alabama A&M (8-2) @ Prairie View (6-3)

Big Sky In State Rivalry: Montana (10-0) @ Montana State (6-4)

Great West Border Rivalry: North Dakota State (10-0) @ South Dakota State (6-4)

Southland Game: Central Arkansas (6-4) @ McNeese State (10-0)

Colonial Athletic Game: Delaware (8-2) @ Villanova (6-4)

MEAC Game: Winstom-Salem State (6-4) @ Norfolk State (7-3)

Northeast Game: Albany (7-3) @ Central Connecticut State (6-4)

Run and Shoot Watch: Portland State (2-8. 307 PF) @ Northern Colorado (1-10. 384 PA)

As a Hofstra student/alumni, I just have one thing to say about this weekend's game.

HELP!!!!!! We're going to die!!

I expect Hofstra to put up a little bit of a fight as they have only scored 9 fewer points than UMass on the season but UMass' defense is one of the stingient in FCS play (allowing only 175. Fewer than Hofstra by 47 points).

I'm curious to see if Delaware can actually keep an opponent under 30 again. Hell, under 40 is turning into a stretch of the imagination.

I'm curious to see if Delaware can actually keep an opponent under 30 again. Hell, under 40 is turning into a stretch of the imagination.

Villanova could be a dangerous team. They've put up 24 against UMass, 35 against Hofstra, and 27 against Richmond. Honestly, I expect this game to go either 2 ways...

1: Delaware starts out hot and holds them to 14-21 and ends up winning 42-14/21...

2: Delaware starts out hot and it becomes a shootout. Final score being something like 42-38 or 35-34.

On the whole, I love the Colonial Athletic Conference (partly 'cause I get it on a local station at college) but teams like William & Mary intrigue me. They're only 4-6 on the season yet they have an explosive offense at times as well. They've scored 31 against Delaware, 34 against UMass, and 34 against James Madison. They have one of the better QB friendly conferences in the FCS.

Guest Vitamin X

I just want Portland State to win a fucking game.

I can't believe they almost beat Montana a couple weeks back, on the road to boot. This team sucks, and as much as I'd love to blame Glanville and Davis, I really can't because the team's defensive front seven is terrible and the offensive line is just as bad. Those are pretty much the two most important positions in football, so it's no wonder we only have two wins.

Hey, at least we have Oregon to cheer on in BCS.

I just want Portland State to win a fucking game.

I can't believe they almost beat Montana a couple weeks back, on the road to boot. This team sucks, and as much as I'd love to blame Glanville and Davis, I really can't because the team's defensive front seven is terrible and the offensive line is just as bad. Those are pretty much the two most important positions in football, so it's no wonder we only have two wins.

I find that interesting, VX. I've read from guys like June Jones in interviews that the Run and Shoot takes a year to 1 and 1/2 years for a QB to truly pick up (making Colt's success even more impressive). The one thing you can hang your hat on is that Portland State's been able to score a ton (43, 20, 68, 31, 36) especially with the 31 and 36 coming against both Montana and Montana State.

Upside is that Hubel's only a Freshman so with more experience and understanding in the system, he should do really well.

Guest Vitamin X

I was hoping for Brian White to get a lot more help this year. He's a pretty damn good quarterback, and it's too bad that it's his and Tremayne Kirkland's last year. Kirkland has pretty much been our MVP this year, he's scored 9 touchdowns (one of them rushing), 973 yards passing. Had a 225 yard game this year, and in that insane Weber State game, he had 177 yards and four touchdowns.

But yeah, I figure Hubel will be a pretty good QB by next year- Portland State can only get better from here on out, and they got hit hard by injuries this year. My thing with Glanville is that he's made some questionable decisions during the games re: going for 2 randomly or electing to punt. I'm not sure if it's just they have no confidence in our special teams whatsoever or what, but it may be- I remember the opening kickoff in our home opener, they had to re-do it 3 times due to illegal procedure, and another one due to the wind knocking it off the tee. Just bad luck all year round.

Guest Vitamin X

Also, one of the best quotes I've heard this week:

But I think everyone knows what Notre Dame's problem is: It has overscheduled. You can't expect a team to be ready to play Navy and Air Force in back-to-back weeks. How did that work in World War II for Germany? Exactly. It's a recipe made for disaster.

from http://www.sportsline.com/spin/story/10473064

Even if Oregon pulls this game out they will be dropped in the human polls especially if it is determined that Dixon is done for the year. They'd have no chance against LSU with Leaf at quarterback so it'd be better to put the Big XII champ in there. This is really unfortunate.

Even if Oregon pulls this game out they will be dropped in the human polls especially if it is determined that Dixon is done for the year. They'd have no chance against LSU with Leaf at quarterback so it'd be better to put the Big XII champ in there. This is really unfortunate.

If Oregon pulls this game out and Dixon ISN'T done for the year, they aren't going to drop.

If Oregon pulls this game out and Dixon ISN'T done for the year, they aren't going to drop.

TD, Arizona.

23-11, pending PAT.

Unless Brady Leaf becomes Tom Brady, or even Brady Quinn, Oregon's in trouble.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudgesicles.

I just flipped to it and they said the trainer thinks Dixon tore somethin in his knee, well Oregon there goes your chances at a national title

Guest Vitamin X

Well, so much for that. This is depressing. We have Ryan Leaf's little brother to hope for victory. Brady, you better do something to make up for your brother making me look like an idiot years ago when I said he'd win something before Manning did.

Oh shit son

I was kinda hoping for a potential UO-OU title game (however unlikely) as a potential for revenge after last year