TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

The Wire: Final Season

Yeah. It's simply not what they meant to be intended.

I'm looking forward to re-watching this tonight.

Such a great final episode.

1) Michael is definitely not fucking gay. I'm sorry but that's just foolish on every level.

2) Avon should have been on the final episode. They sent him out like a bitch with that west side to Marlo. If they left it at their earlier scene that would have been fine.

3) I'd have like to have seen Cutty in the montage.

Nit-picky things because it was so good.

And so ends the greatest series in the history of American television.

The whole episode I was wondering where the fuck Michael was. On one hand it's cool that torch has been passed from Omar to Mike, but on the other is sucks because you know it's not going to end well for him.

Oh damn, Dukie. The really bad thing about that is that you don't get the feeling he'll be able to get out of his situation. He doesn't have the toughness or heart of Bubbles to survive that life.

I was duped by the fake wake!

Great final episode. Great series.

Guest Warriorfan

The finale was absolutely perfect! Even though I have both HBO and On Demand I feel like i'm one of the last few to see the last episode since the leak.

It feels good to be the king as most of my predictions panned out.

Watching McNulty looking out at the water was very poignant. I knew he would get out alive as the lie was too big to finger on him but I was rooting for some sort of victory.

The essence of the series stayed true to the last, reformers are always destroyed. Gus was demoted, Daniels had to resign and we saw what happened to Freamon and McNulty.

The episode is still fresh in my mind and I will have to watch it again to get the full impact. With that said, there is one question that I have,is Michael Gay?

Guest Warriorfan

I wasn't in on the leaked finale but here are 2 Easter eggs we can expect from the season 5 DVD.

There were 3 scenes with Omar and Kenard. The second has Kenard missing the shot and the 3rd is too great to spoil.

am completely emotionally devastated that this show, which reconfirmed my faith in television as a medium has ended. But at least we have these tidbits to treasure forever:

Michael is the new Omar!!!

The street doesn't remember Marlo, but Omar lives on as a legend.

Partlow and Wee-bey are best friends in prison world.

Bubbles gets to eat upstairs. Or should I say Reginald?

VALCHEK! Cannot believe I didn't see that coming.

I know HBO likes reusing actors, but I thought about it and all of these Wire cast members were in Oz (yeah, their Wire names, not real names)

Herc -- Ralph something (killed by Jazz)

Carver -- Clayton Hughes (worst character ever)

Daniels -- Johnny Baisle/Desmon Mobay (killed by Carver's character)

Lester -- I believe random muslim

Cheese -- Tug Daniels

Normal -- "don't fuck with Querns"

Rawls -- The Colonel that worked with Burr

Bodie -- KENNY WANGLER!

Burrell --Jefferson's father

Avon -- as a CO

I thought Prez played Sible, but I looked it up and it wasn't him.

well they certainly didn't go out on an Oz/Soprano note.

I did find it strange that everything seemed to work out for everyone in the end, though.

I'd say that things really didn't work out for that many of the characters. They landed on their feet, but both Lester and McNulty both had to give up policing, which was clearly their love. Same with Daniels. And Gus/Alma got royally fucked over at the paper. Dukie living on the streets and hitting the needle was a bad turn too.

I really liked the finale in general. My one complaint was they kind of beat the whole ____ is the new ____ to death at the end. Dukie is the new Bubbles, Sid is the new McNulty, Carver is the new Daniels, Michael is the new Omar. I think that could have been a little more subtle. But, just a minor complaint, overall loved it.

Great finale. Simon really gets clever in this one, even for him, for the reason C Dubya cited: although we have "happy" endings to some extent--McNulty and Lester don't go to jail, Daniels tells the brass to fuck off, Chris gets locked up, Cheese gets got (SLIM!)--careers are still aborted (what on earth is Jimmy gonna do now?) and the reformers are all pushed out. The newspaper keeps riding a wave of BS, Carcetti goes all the way to the statehouse with his airhead ways, and poor Dukie is shooting up in a stable. Valcheck becoming commissioner really sums it all up: Baltimore is still fucked.

The silent shots of the city at 60 minutes in were gorgeous, and McNulty's fakewake was the most shockingly joyous occasion the show's ever shown us. Surprising peaks at the end of a great work of art. I'm gonna miss it, and I doubt I'll ever see another show this strong from start to finish.

After I stop and think about it...why were Chris and Wee-Bey buddying up? CHRIS SHOT AVON IN A DRIVE-BY! I almost would have rather seen Avon and Wee-Bey on one side of the yard and Chris at the other having a staredown. I know that Avon made peace with Marlo, but that would have given the "awwwww shit" vibe

At first I resented Marlo winning the war with Avon, but thinking back I think the writers knew it was time for something new. Especially with Stringer dead

I was expecting Chris and Wee-Bay to meet and then for Wee-Bay to glance across the yard at Avon who gives Chris the "It's cool" nod. Avon's not a suit-and-tie businessman as he's said before but he's also smart enough to not want Chris as an enemy.

I forgot that the kids at the corner were talking about Omar before Marlo rolled up on them. Great point that one isn't recognized even when you're face to face with him but the other will live on as an urban legend long after Marlo retired from the game.

I also liked that Avon was pretty much unseen to everybody but his main men in season one. Gave him a serious boss vibe. It took them a while to even get a picture of what the guy looked like

Carver -- Clayton Hughes (worst character ever)

Fuck that... Crazy Clayton Hughes was hilarous. The worst character in OZ was byfar Adam Gunzel... Horrible actor.

well they certainly didn't go out on an Oz/Soprano note.

I did find it strange that everything seemed to work out for everyone in the end, though.

I don't see how things worked out for Dukie, who became a herion addict... Or Michael Lee forced to having to aband his best friend and his brother to live a life of crime, where he will have all the big time dealers after him. Or how about Gus? Templeton ended up winning Pulitzer for fuck sakes.

After so many tragic moments in the TV show, I think we(the fans) deserve to see some happy moments. I'm for one glad that they made things work out for Bubbles, it was great to see him recover this season and finally be able to make it upstairs.

Do I really have to spell out for you guys how things worked out for people?

-Sure McNulty and Freamon had to resign, but it sure looks like their post-police lives are ok. They have their women and all is well. They're not in prison. Wins all around.

-Bubbles finally made it upstairs with his family.

-Daniels resigned but became a hot shot lawyer, probably pays better.

-Rawls becomes head of the state troopers.

-Rhonda becomes a judge.

-Sydnor becomes a big time detective.

-Carcetti becomes Governor.

-Carver becomes a Lieutenant.

-Herc is pretty much a made guy in his law office with Levy.

-Scott wins the pulitzer.

-Gus looked perfectly content taking a step back.

-Marlo got out of jail and looks to be getting back to the life he loves.

-Slim Charles is apparently the new big dog on the block.

-Michael seems perfectly content with his new life as a stick up boy.

Am I missing something here? Dukie is the only one who has a shitty ending. Just doesn't seem realistic when you look at how the show has played out. I'm not saying I hate the ending. I liked it a lot, just thought it was odd.

I don't know Lushus, I think that the way it played out was a lot more realistic than bad things happening all around.

If you accept that the homeless murder thing was going on, the cover up would make sense (and I'm sure that plenty of politicians have covered up much worse). But still, I would say that McNulty and Freeman not ending up in jail is a happy ending for them, but not sunshine happy. They did both give up their passion in life and moved on. Probably for the best for both due to their obsessive natures with cop work, but still, they did have to quit (Jimmie without his pension).

I'd say just about everyone else had normal progressions in life. Daniels ended up as a lawyer, but it's not much of a stretch to see that happen to a highly successful cop with a law degree. He also gave up his passion.

Sydnor and Carver just got some promotions, which is fairly standard. Nothing to out of this world there.

I'd say Michael ended up worse off. As great as Omar's character was and as badass as he was portrayed, I would call that a pretty shitty life.

I'd say that the majority of the characters followed a fairly natural and realistic progression.

I don't think the endings were as positive as people make them out to be. Lester and Jimmy have been po-leece for years now and not doing that as their day-to-day would wear, I imagine. Sydnor seems to be the new McNulty in going to Phalen which made Jimmy seem righteous in season one but now maybe not so much. Daniels got fucked over by the department and while he might be in better circumstances has to live with the serial killer fiasco going down on his watch and the subsequent aftermath with him and the stats. Herc will likely end up being a go-between with Carver and Levy as he showed this season that he knows when to play both sides.

I think Bubs going upstairs might be the most feel-good moment of all the endings.

Some useless info...

- Michelle Paress who played Alma Gutierrez in season 5, is actually married to Larry Gillard who played D'Angelo Barksdale.

- Heres a picture of Wallace all grown up: http://www.hbo.com/slideshows/wire_s5_prem...premiere_07.jpg

- Here's a great article by David Simon... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-simon/...-s_b_91926.html

Did you order it online? And yeah, 40 bucks is decent. I'd rock that over an Affliction tee any day and they run up to $80 in some cases.

Yeah I got it from ebay... It actually cost $30, but plus $10 shipping and handling.