TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Smartly Pretty

2008 NFL Draft Thread

This is one deep-ass running back draft. Seems sort of shallow on the QB end, though.

Any word on if White is leaving WVU now that Slaton & Reynaud have declared? And if so, does he stay at QB or does somebody try to Eric Crouch him into the safety position, or do they Matt Jones him into WR?

Guest Tzar Lysergic
Rashard Mendenhall is going pro as well. There's the Bears' answer for RB.

Bunch of people on the Score are sucking each other off over this guy.

He's good, though 2007 was his first season of substantial work. He didn't reach 100 touches his two previous years. I think he'll work out, though. Good running back name, too.

Should be seasoned and prominent running backs deep into the 2nd and 3rd rounds this year.

With all of these quality RBs coming out, do you take McFadden if you have a top 5 pick? There is little doubt that out of:

McFadden

Jones

Slaton

Rice

Stewart

Mendenhall

maybe throw Kevin Smith in here

probably assume one or two who really boost their stock at the combine as well

at least one of them will likely be there at the top of round 2. Is it worth using a top 5 pick if you can get another high quality piece there, plus a legit RB in round 2 or even the top of round 3 depending on how deep the group ends up shaking out?

Depends on your need. There really aren't too many teams near the top of the draft who desperately need an RB, but McFadden's such an insane talent that somebody's going to just do the "best player available" thing and take him before too long. Teams may be thinking about how holy-shit-well Adrian Peterson lived up to his college rep, and that potential in McFadden will be hard to overlook.

Depends on your need. There really aren't too many teams near the top of the draft who desperately need an RB, but McFadden's such an insane talent that somebody's going to just do the "best player available" thing and take him before too long. Teams may be thinking about how holy-shit-well Adrian Peterson lived up to his college rep, and that potential in McFadden will be hard to overlook.

The biggest difference is the size between the two though, IMO. I'd compare McFadden more to Reggie Bush at the moment than to Peterson. Reggie also was an insane talent coming out of the draft with a solid college career though obviously not at the level of McFadden.

At the Combine, AP was listed at 6'2" and 217 lbs.

Here is how McFadden compares in terms of size...

6'2" and 205 lbs. (ESPN, Arkansas, Yahoo)

Here are somewhat comparable players size wise in terms of what they weighed at the NFL Combine

Chris Barnes: 6'1" and 209 lbs.

Leonard Henry: 6'1" and 206 lbs.

Lamar Gordon: 6'1" and 214 lbs.

Thunder Collins: 6'2" and 190 lbs.

Derek Watson: 6'1" and 212 lbs.

Rod Malone: 6'1" and 216 lbs.

Courtlandt Florence: 6'1" and 205 lbs.

Darnell Stephens: 6'2" and 195 lbs.

Ciatrick Fason: 6'1" and 207 lbs.

Jerad Estus: 6'1" and 208 lbs.

Demetris Summers: 6'1" and 207 lbs.

The thing is that if McFadden comes in standing at 6'2" he'll have to put on a lot of weight to overcome his slight frame and adjust for the NFL. All of the solid players at 6'1" or 6'2" tended to weigh above 215 lbs or so at the Combine.

Ohio State DE Vernon Gholston is the only Buckeye junior to declare for the NFL Draft.

Kind of surprising, I would have pegged Jenkins and Laurinitis both going in the Top 20.

Good call for Gholston, he already set the single season record at Ohio State for sacks, and I would be shocked if he is not a Top 8 pick.

The biggest difference is the size between the two though, IMO. I'd compare McFadden more to Reggie Bush at the moment than to Peterson. Reggie also was an insane talent coming out of the draft with a solid college career though obviously not at the level of McFadden.

At the Combine, AP was listed at 6'2" and 217 lbs.

Here is how McFadden compares in terms of size...

6'2" and 205 lbs. (ESPN, Arkansas, Yahoo)

Here are somewhat comparable players size wise in terms of what they weighed at the NFL Combine

Chris Barnes: 6'1" and 209 lbs.

Leonard Henry: 6'1" and 206 lbs.

Lamar Gordon: 6'1" and 214 lbs.

Thunder Collins: 6'2" and 190 lbs.

Derek Watson: 6'1" and 212 lbs.

Rod Malone: 6'1" and 216 lbs.

Courtlandt Florence: 6'1" and 205 lbs.

Darnell Stephens: 6'2" and 195 lbs.

Ciatrick Fason: 6'1" and 207 lbs.

Jerad Estus: 6'1" and 208 lbs.

Demetris Summers: 6'1" and 207 lbs.

The thing is that if McFadden comes in standing at 6'2" he'll have to put on a lot of weight to overcome his slight frame and adjust for the NFL. All of the solid players at 6'1" or 6'2" tended to weigh above 215 lbs or so at the Combine.

Thunder Collins!? Somebody sign that guy!

Today's early entries include Michigan WR Adrian Arrington and Clemson RB James Davis.

Why?

Darius Reynaud (West Virginia WR) has also decided to enter the draft

Well I guess Davis is staying now. I actually like him as a player but it seems like it's best for him to stay with such a deep RB class this year. Besides, with Harper, Kelly, Spiller, and now Davis, Clemson could make a run at a BCS game next sesason.

Apparently some WR from Coastal Carolina has been tearing up the East/West practices. Maybe he'll be the next Colston.

If I recall too, Colston was said to have had a bad attitude by a few of his coaches at Hofstra, which may have hurt his status as much as playing at Hofstra did.

So does DeSean Jackson measuring in at the Combine at 5'9" and 167 lbs. knock him out of the first round?

As much as I think he fits the Eagles need for a WR/return man, I would have a hard time justifying a first round pick on a guy that small. A guy like Steve Smith may be short, but at least he is thicker. I have a hard time believing someone with Jackson's frame could survive an NFL schedule intact.

So does DeSean Jackson measuring in at the Combine at 5'9" and 167 lbs. knock him out of the first round?

As much as I think he fits the Eagles need for a WR/return man, I would have a hard time justifying a first round pick on a guy that small. A guy like Steve Smith may be short, but at least he is thicker. I have a hard time believing someone with Jackson's frame could survive an NFL schedule intact.

Sounds like Jeremy Bloom all over again.

I made a mock draft. Nitpick away.

1.Miami Dolphins: Chris Long

2.St. Louis Rams: Jake Long

3.Atlanta Falcons: Matt Ryan

4.Oakland Raiders: Glenn Dorsey

5.Kansas City Chiefs: Ryan Clady

6.New York Jets: Darren McFadden

7.Hahaha, 18-1: Vernan Gholston

8.Baltimore Ravens: Sedrick Ellis

9.Cincinnati Bengals: Keith Rivers

10.New Orleans Saints: Leodis Mckelvin

11.Buffalo Bills: Malcolm Kelly

12.Denver Broncos: Kenny Phillips

13.Carolina Panthers: Derrick Harvey

14.Chicago Bears: Rashard Mendenhall

15.Detroit Lions: Mike Jenkins.

16.Arizona Cardinals: Phil Merling

17.Minnesota Vikings: DeSean Jackson

18.Houston Texans: Reggie Smith

19.Philadelphia Eagles: Mario Manningham

20.Tampa Bay Bucs: Kentwan Balmer

21.Washington Redskins: Aqib Talib (lol more like aquib learn to english language)

22.Dallas Cowboys: Limas Sweed

23.Pittsburgh Steelers: Branden Albert

24.Tennessee Titans: Early Doucet

25.Seattle Whosits: Fred Davis

26.Jacksonville Jaguars: Calais Campbell

27.San Diego Chargers: Jeff Otah

28.Dallas Cowboys: Domonique Rodgers-Cromatrie

29.San Francisco 49ers: Ali Highsmith

30.FROZEN TUNDRA Packers: Dan Connor

Hahaha, 18-1: Forfeit

31.New York Giants: Pat Lee

Stewart took a ridiculous slide I know, but he would go with the first pick of the second round.

Dolphins won't be taking a RB with the first pick of the second round, even if Jonathon Stewart were still available. Pretty good job on the mock, though. It could be torn apart, but so could everyone else's picks.

By the sounds of it Woodson may be lucky to still be in the second round. It sounds like he has really taken a fall.

I have a hard time seeing Stewart falling out of round 1, but it would not be completely shocking. With the RB depth in this draft a lot of teams might pass on RB in round 1 given you can find one in rounds 2 and 3.