TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Smartly Pretty

2008 NFL Draft Thread

Virginia OG Branden Albert has also declared. Don't know what he's doing--he could use another year--but he'll make someone happy in the 4th round.

That was really stupid of him. Whoever told him that was a good idea didn't have his best interest at heart.

It should also be noted that the days of WVU's Dingle and Berry sitting side by side are over, as DE Johnny Dingle has declared. Maryland LB Erin Henderson is on his way to the pros too.

I don't know with the NFL draft it is tough. I think some of these guys are just tired of playing without pay and they think one year of pratice squad pay ($64,000) is worth it and the league minimum is around $225,000 correct.

But people are right that not everyone has player's best interests at heart.

Well, apparently the young man who inspired the "I'm a man, I'm 40!" speech, Bobby Reid, has declared himself for the NFL draft. Apparently Bobby isn't just a bad decision maker at quarterback, he might also be a complete moron off the field. If he honestly thinks he could go anywhere in the NFL draft, he's nuts. He's working with a quarterback coach so maybe MAYBE his athletic ability gets him a look in the seventh round...as something other than a quarterback.

And in players I'm really rooting for in the draft, OT Franklin Dunbar of MTSU has declared for the NFL draft. Dunbar gave up his final season (which could have made him a fourth or fifth round look) because his mother is facing heavy financial trouble and the NCAA guidelines are preventing him from being able to make money to help her out. I really hope he gets drafted in the fifth round or at the very least makes a practice squad, it's a shame he has to do it but the NCAA left him no other options.

He's 6'5 and 328 pounds so he definitely has the size. He has started 30 straight games so that is a very good sign for him since it shows he doesn't get hurt much and he was a 2007 All All-Sun Belt conference selection.

Kevin Smith, a RB from UCF has declared. I thought he had announced previously he was not coming out. Seems like a good move from the standpoint that he has had a TON of carries in 3 years.

RB is going to easily be the deepest part of the draft, especially if Jones and Stewart both declare.

Ray Rice, too. Rice has an interesting situation really, because he has a ton of carries after 3 years, but it also only something like 1500 yards away from breaking Ron Dayne's rushing record.

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise
Apparently Bobby isn't just a bad decision maker at quarterback, he might also be a complete moron off the field.

im40.jpgTHAT AIN'T TRUE!

Let's see if you say that about him when you're a father. Of children.

I'm really growing on the WR class in this year's draft as well. While there are (right now) relatively few "star" names outside of Adarius Bowman, James Hardy, and Early Doucet... there are a lot of guys who could turn out to be solid pros if taken in the 2nd to 4th round.

Guys I'm keeping an eye on...

Todd Blythe (Iowa State): Has good size if not a little thin at 6'6" and 209 lbs. Also has the highest career YPC among the WRs in the draft (excluding Taj from Syracuse) with 17.59 off 176 catches. If he can flash 4.45 speed, I could see him going in the late 1st/early 2nd round.

Donnie Avery (Houston): Great career with 210 catches and 3,289 yards. Doubles as a return threat but size will be a question as he's only 5'11" and 190 lbs. according to ESPN. I see him as a 3rd or 4th round draft pick at the moment.

Ernie Wheelwright (Minnesota): Really got helped with the addition of the spread offense. Has great size at 6'5" and 215 lbs. but the question is whether he has the speed to make an impact. I could see him going in the 3rd round, late 2nd if he can flash a 4.45 or higher.

DJ Hall (Alabama): A somewhat forgotten player with the emergence of Prothero there. 6'2" and 195 lbs. with over 2,900 yards receiving in his college career. I could see him going in the 2nd round if he has a strong Combine.

My true sleeper: Jabari Arthur (Akron): A converted QB, he has great size at 6'4" and 224 lbs. Speed is the big question and he could turn out to be another Matt Jones or another Vincent Jackson if he gets drafted by a team that can utilize his size well. He could be converted into a TE but will likely stick as a WR and a possible 5th-6th round pick unless his speed can bump him into the late 4th/early 5th. He had 2,653 yards receiving in his career but also had a 14.42 YPC (better than Jordy Nelson, Andre Caldwell, and Keenan Burton) but that was playing against weaker competition.

The eagles need to take a WR in the first round. Limas Sweed could fall to them or even Doucet could be a decent pick up. It's their largest area of weakness right now.

The eagles need to take a WR in the first round. Limas Sweed could fall to them or even Doucet could be a decent pick up. It's their largest area of weakness right now.

So naturally they will take something that won't help the offense and McNabb will get the full blame when they can't score.

I think you are writing other needs off a little easily. They desperately need a legit DE to play opposite Cole (Juqua is a nice third DE). A playmaking S or CB (that could allow Brown to move to S) is also a big need. If Desean Jackson falls that far I jump on him as he solves their return problems as well, but I don't think it is as open and shut as having to go WR round 1 no matter what.

I think you are writing other needs off a little easily. They desperately need a legit DE to play opposite Cole (Juqua is a nice third DE). A playmaking S or CB (that could allow Brown to move to S) is also a big need. If Desean Jackson falls that far I jump on him as he solves their return problems as well, but I don't think it is as open and shut as having to go WR round 1 no matter what.

If they want to keep McNabb they're going WR no matter what. Donovan is not going to sit around in Philadelphia and be shit on for another handful of years while they continue to give him nothing outside of Westbrook to throw the ball to when there are a handful of teams with better offenses in need of a QB to distribute the ball.

I think their defense is sturdy enough in comparison to the WR problem. They'll probably draft someone for Dawkins when he eventually retires but that won't be next year. They have Celek as a backup/ starter TE depending on contract negotiations and can probably draft later.

This of course depends on McNabb staying around (which I hope happens) but Kolb will still need help when he starts.

An interesting study I did last night...

Of the Top 20 leaders in Career Rushing Yardage, the range of BMI ranges from: 28.26 as a low to 32.92 as a high.

I also looked at 24 current "stud" RBs and their range of BMI was similar too: 29.69 as a low to 32.97 as a high.

The following college players currently fit that range...

Rashard Mendenhall (Illinois): 6'1" and 224 lbs. 32.44

Thomas Brown (Georgia): 5'8" and 200 lbs. 31.57

Ray Rice (Rutgers): 5'9" and 205 lbs. 31.43

Mike Hart (Michigan): 5'9" and 202 lbs. 30.97

Tony Temple (Missouri): 5'9" and 200 lbs. 30.67

James Davis (Clemson): 5'11" and 205 lbs. 29.69

The following RBs are on the outskirts.

Kevin Smith (UCF): 6'1" and 211 lbs. 28.90

Steve Slaton (West Virginia): 5'10" and 190 lbs. 28.31

Felix Jones (Arkansas): 6'0" and 200 lbs. 28.16

Jamaal Charles (Texas): 6'1" and 205 lbs. 28.08

Tashard Choice (Georgia Tech): 6'1" and 205 lbs. 28.08

The outlier

Darren McFadden (Arkansas): 6'2" and 205 lbs. 27.33.

Reggie Bush currently has a 28.16 BMI for those who are curious. Adrian Peterson (Mr. Viking) is at 29.73. Barry Sanders was 32.05. LaDainian Tomlinson is 32.92.

Today's early entries include Michigan WR Adrian Arrington and Clemson RB James Davis.

Why?

Darius Reynaud (West Virginia WR) has also decided to enter the draft

Oregon RB Jonathan Stewart has declared for the NFL Draft. Projected anywhere from 2nd to 5th running back taken. 1771 yards this year, 11 tds. He will be a combine monster:

5-11, 235 lbs.

40 time 4.34

Bench 410

Squat 555

Clean 402

Anyone read the old mock draft/draft threads from previous years? There are some pretty funny moments, like J.P. Losman being hailed as the next great QB, or Pinjockey thinking that the Eagles traded up for Steven Jackson only to have them select a lineman.

I'm not exempt...I thought Robert Gallery should have gone first overall in the 2004 draft. Whoops.

USC right guard Chilo Rachal declared for the draft.

Someone gave him bad advice, because he's nowhere near ready.