TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

NFL Offseason Thread

I just know we're going to sign Warrick Dunn, too. We're going to blow all that cap room on old guys who won't contribute. Re-sign Jeremiah Trotter! I bet Lynn Swann could still go.

Well, he doesn't like young players at QB (except for fucking Bruce Gradkowski, for some reason) and the coaching staff as a whole seems to have no ability to develop wide receivers. Off the top of my head, I can't think of one WR ever drafted by the Bucs who has gone on to be anything better than decent. The latest example of this is first round bust Michael Clayton.

I don't know. Whatever. I still say we're winning the Super Bowl next year.

The Jets signed Calvin Pace and Damien Woody.

God damn! Jets aren't messing around this offseason. The offensive line is basically set now.

Whatever cap space they might have had is definitely gone. Really curious to see what direction they go in the draft now.

Guest Beastalentier

Hey neat, we got a low draft pick for Brian Griese. I thought we were just going to release him. That could become a lineman.

I just know we're going to sign Warrick Dunn, too. We're going to blow all that cap room on old guys who won't contribute. Re-sign Jeremiah Trotter! I bet Lynn Swann could still go.

Nah the Texans will sign him as the third down back in their "Old as Dirt" RB corp. Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, and Warrick Dunn would have been a hell of a backfield..... 5 years ago.

That Browns D-line should be ferocious next year. Brady Quinn can continue to heckle gay fans from the sidelines. Donte Stallworth can do his annual disappearing act.

God damn! Jets aren't messing around this offseason. The offensive line is basically set now.

Whatever cap space they might have had is definitely gone. Really curious to see what direction they go in the draft now.

You do realize Woody isn't very good, right? I mean he was a Lion, for god's sakes. And Pace is a DEFENSIVE lineman/LB. Good luck with those pieces.

I'm well aware. Woody is still a significant upgrade and would be the fourth member of a solid line comprising of Ferguson, Mangold and Faneca.

If you need another past his prime Eagle there's always Kearse. I'm sure he'll produce more than Trotter did last year. And by that I mean he may actually step on the field for a play or two before getting hurt.

So Randy Moss is apparently getting 12 million guaranteed according to profootballtalk.com. Meanwhile, Bernard freaking Berrian gets 16 million. What kind of crazy moon logic is this? Why didn't the Vikings offer Moss that 16 mil guaranteed?

If you need another past his prime Eagle there's always Kearse. I'm sure he'll produce more than Trotter did last year. And by that I mean he may actually step on the field for a play or two before getting hurt.

I hear we might eventually make a play for Lito Sheppard. If we can get him or DeAngelo Hall, that would take a lot of pressure off of whoever we draft at CB. The cupboard's looking bare right now.

Glad to see the Pats lock up Moss. Him and Brady played so well together, it would have been a shame to only get one season of that.

Now that NE has lost Samuel and Gay, here's hoping they make a play for D'Angelo Hall. Or better yet, Pacman Jones! :lol:

You do realize Woody isn't very good, right? I mean he was a Lion, for god's sakes. And Pace is a DEFENSIVE lineman/LB. Good luck with those pieces.

Woody was rated 91 in Madden. That's good enough for me. Plus we could use his versatility. He can play multiple positions on the line.

Pace had his best season in the 34 as an outside linebacker. He also allows Bryan Thomas to go back to the weakside where he had his best year.

We're in good shape to take whomever drops in the draft.

Also, the Jets still have around 15 million left in cap room. The salary cap increases each year so they're still in good shape.

Guest Beastalentier
According to our local CSN, the Eagles actually offered more to Moss than the Patriots. So he may have left money on the table to go back to NE.

The Patriots have never been able to pull that off. Nice job, team.

To be fair, every FA pulls the whole going somewhere to win card. Once in a blue moon does someone give the honest, "I am getting X amount of dollars".

He did sound like a retard though during his press conference. Not from that quote, but the fact he sounded like he could barely speak english.

I didn't expect him to say he was in it for the money but something like "change of scenery", "wanting to play for Jim Johnston's system", or any other possible reason would be much more believable than "I want a chance to win a Super Bowl".

I just heard that apparently Brett Farve has retired (not the mistake from a few days ago) and that it was on the cover of his local paper. Any news on whether this is bullshit or not?

Apparently not BS

End of an Era: Packers' Brett Favre Retires

Michael David SmithPosted Mar 4th 2008 9:35AM by Michael David Smith

Filed under: Packers, Breaking News, The Word

Multiple media outlets are reporting that Packers quarterback Brett Favre has told coach Mike McCarthy that he is retiring, bringing to an end a Hall of Fame career in Green Bay.

Jay Glazer of Fox Sports reports:

Favre has decided to retire. In fact, it's believed he informed the Packers of his decision within the last few days, although it's unclear when Favre and the team will make his decision known.

So barring an unforeseen last-minute change of heart, Favre will leave the game after 17 years, during which he built himself into a household name and a figure synonymous with grit, toughness and perseverance.

Neither GM Ted Thompson nor head coach Mike McCarthy returned several calls left by FOXSports.com for confirmation.

After flirting with retirement for the last few years, Favre will finally go out on the heels of one of the best seasons of his career.

Favre leaves after one of his best seasons, in which he was named Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year. The Aaron Rodgers era will now begin.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/04/...-favre-retires/

How dumb is ESPN Sportsnation?

10) If you needed a game-winning touchdown drive, who would you pick?

26.3% Joe Montana

25.1% Brett Favre

19.7% Tom Brady

17.0% John Elway

7.9% Peyton Manning

1.8% Dan Marino

1.2% Steve Young

1.2% Johnny Unitas

Brett Favre and Tom Brady ahead of John Elway? Oh really?

Guest Tzar Lysergic
WTF, indeed. Didn't you guys just release Griese two years ago? You could've waited for him to have gotten cut soon, anyways.

The FO apparently didn't want to get into a bidding war for his services. This was almost certainly not going to happen, as the guy's been a failure everywhere he's been. Griese apologists in the Tampa fanbase point to his pre-injury 5-1 record as a starter in his last stint here, but fail to remember the circumstances that led to that--which is basically that the teams we beat were all awful, like the post-Moss Vikings, the Dolphins after Ricky Williams retired, etc. I've been willing to give Gruden and Allen the benefit of the doubt with the slow start to the FA period thus far, but this particular move makes no sense to me. A stable of mediocre, AARP-eligible QBs is not the way to succeed.

Haha. Thanks!

What happened to your "three more good seasons out of Garcia" hypothesis?

There's speculation that the team's unwillingness to make a run at Randy Moss might have pushed him towards retirement. I don't understand why the team would mortgage their future by giving Moss a huge contract just to appease a guy who strings them along every offseason. This is a team that took the eventual SB champions to overtime in the conference championship. They have no glaring need at wide receiver. It just wouldn't have made any sense.

Haha. Thanks!

What happened to your "three more good seasons out of Garcia" hypothesis?

Maybe Gruden could talk Favre out of retirement in a few years. I wonder how tethered Rich Gannon is to that CBS gig.