TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

New Soul Calibur IV characters announced

Hahahaha. Namco is so shameless.

That looks fun, I guess. Better than stupid Link. And it gets the SC series back on the map, which is great, because it's the only game I'm good at.

I can't even imagine how bad online public rooms will be, haha. Fifteen year old kids who talk trash because they've "mastered" Yoda. I can't wait!!

God that's so fucking stupid.

I can't wait until we find out that Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben are in Street Fighter IV.

That would be the shit, actually.

The article mentions extra Star Wars characters as downloadable content. While that would be awesome, as we all love microtransactions, what would be even more awesome would be if they released like five different versions that are the same except with two different Star Wars characters. Come on Namco!

this seems like a bad idea; like a jumpy-sharky idea. I dunno, while this is nothing new for the series (to add outside people).. his may be a step too far down that road.

Kotaku.com:

The recently announced guest appearances of Darth Vader and Yoda in Soulcalibur IV come with a catch—each release will feature a console exclusive Star Wars character, with Darth Vader playable only in the PlayStation 3 version, Yoda playable only in the Xbox 360 version. Yes, you'll be able to enjoy pitting light saber against sword, but you may not be able to actually have a Yoda versus Darth battle unless Namco Bandai and LucasArts decide to make them available via downloadable content.

Yay Namco! Console exclusives are the best!!! I was all nostalgic about the good old days, when scrubs would whine that they'd have won if only they'd had Link. Soon, those days will be back! Today is truly a great day.

Don't worry. As mentioned above, thanks to the magic of DLC, you'll probably be able to pay for whichever character(s) you don't have. The "console exclusive" characters are probably freebies.

This is the same Bandai-Namco that made you buy half of Katamari 360's levels, after all. If you'll pay for it, they'll sell it!

Guest Smues
God that's so fucking stupid.

I can't wait until we find out that Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben are in Street Fighter IV.

I would SO buy that game just for that.

Ha-Do-Ken

Mi-nute-Rice

It could work!

I know this is nitpicky beyond belief, because it's a video game featuring sci-fi characters but....shouldn't the lightsabers just cut everyone else's weapons in half?

If there's a weapon bar again, yeah.

Otherwise--well, it's a game. One where a girl uses a bladed hula hoop as a weapon, a knight (or suit of armor) possessed by demons carries around a enormous cursed sword nearly his own height with an eyeball on it, and females with F cup breasts (and sometimes heavy armor) manage to dart around and fight with the greatest of ease.

For a BS reason, maybe it's in a lower-power state.

I think I just had one of those nerdgasms. The only extra character I remember objecting to in the SC series was Heihachi in the PS2 version of SC2. This was mainly because they thought it was a good idea to put a character with no weapons in a weapon-based fighting game. Sure you could get new wristbands for him, but it was still kind of a lame choice. At least they made him fast and strong as hell to compensate. As much as McFarlane gets ripped-on anymore, I loved Spawn in the XBox version (as broken as he may have been), and Necrid was a guilty pleasure as well.

Heihachi was the only one that actually fit. Besides being from the future he looks like he could be in the game. A martial arts expert who uses gauntlets instead of a sword is a design Namco could have actually put in and nobody would have questioned it.

Heihachi felt the least out of place of the SC2 bonus characters - his look was right for the series, whereas Spawn and Link were cartoony and goofy. Spawn was actually the most balanced, though. Heihachi was too strong with shit like his Tekken speed mid EWGF, and Link was way too weak with basically nothing useful.

Vader's definitely going to work better than Yoda. I hope they do a good job balancing him and making him fun. Yoda's hopeless, though, he'll be every bit as much "fun" to play as Gon. Unless they make him full size. That'd be badass!

This is a bit shit to be honest.

...But in a good way.

Heihachi was the only one that actually fit

Timelines aside, I felt Link was the only one who fit be the simple fact he had a weapon. But that's just me.

Yeah I couldn't remember if it had a legitimate good launch or a critical good launch. In my memory, they shipped too many units and over estimated demand, meaning I could walk into any store and buy one... but memory also tells me it was labeled one of the biggest money making days to date (because of the 9999 campaign, perhaps?). Clearly those two things shouldn't co-exist so I must be remembering one (or both) of them wrong.