TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

Questions to be answered by the next person to post in the thread

Guest Cock Ring Warehouse

The Grim Reaper looks like he's on PCP.

Another Chicago-Toronto brawl that I enjoy, in which an embarrassingly protracted Denis Savard slapfight is finally ended by some Black Hawk jumping into the camera frame out of nowhere and just whaling on some poor bastard. The camera work in this moment is the big payoff for an otherwise pathetic fight.

I'll help you out.

At what point did the Super Bowl shift from a mere sporting event to what it is now?

Bills/Giants. Your superbowl halftime was Michael Jackson and New Kids on the Block.

What is the greatest NHL hockey game ever played?

Michael Jackson and New Kids on the Block.

This pretty well trumps anything else. God help us, they were really, really, really, really big!

The greatest NHL game ever played is still to me, Game 6 and/or 7 of the Flames-Canucks in 2004, when Calgary went to the finals. The Flames chipping away at a four-goal deficit to only lose by one late to force game 7? Some crazy fan throwing his jacket on the ice, interupting an empty-net goal, and incredibly, allowing for a 6-on-5 tying goal? Nothing else. Couple that with my early job start time back then, Philly Mick's Masters win, and a bajillion overtime periods = five hours of sleep for me in two days. Worth it.

Say what you will about Micheal Jackson, but that halftime show was amazing. I seem to recall Whitney Houston singing the national anthem that year, as well. With Tom Petty and Paula Abdul performing at this year's festivities, what are the chances of another "wardrobe malfunction"?

Guest Tzar Lysergic
Say what you will about Micheal Jackson, but that halftime show was amazing. I seem to recall Whitney Houston singing the national anthem that year, as well. With Tom Petty and Paula Abdul performing at this year's festivities, what are the chances of another "wardrobe malfunction"?

100%. Petty's going to drop trou.

Ask questions after answering them, you dopes. Don't break the thread.

Who has fouled out of the most NBA games?

One's a lock at Torrey Pines in June. Is Oakland Hills, site of the PGA in August, where the Buick used to be played? If it's the same course in Michigan, my answer is two. If it's not, who knows? Mickelson has the potential to be very, very, good this year if he's healthy, Els sounds pretty serious about getting his game back to an elite level, Singh and Goosen are due again, Choi and Stricker have both kinda made the leap into the upper tier.

I'll bet my house he wins at Torrey Pines in June.

What would be your HOF criteria for the big 4 sports (NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL)?

Would you center it around championships, statistics, or a combination of both? Does a player passing the "eye test" get more benefit over a player who puts up great stats but doesn't "look" like he's a great player (i.e. Vinny Testaverde)?

I'd like to think that if you're dominating even for a short period of time (say 5-7 years) you would have a better chance than a Vinny Testaverde. In the MLB it would be statistics, same with the NFL, and in the NBA a combination. I don't watch the NHL much.

From the last 30 years, if you could pick any centerfielder to start on your team, who would you pick?

It has to be mid-90s Ken Griffey, Jr., doesn't it? At the height of his powers, he was one of the five best CFs ever.

I can't think of a good question, so I'll go with something silly: What's your favourite commercial involving an athlete? (Mine is the McDonald's commercial with Larry Bird and Michael Jordan playing HORSE for MJ's Big Mac.)

I'll go with LeBron James, the Book of Dimes where he comes out and starts dishing to a bunch of people (the one with Bernie Mac). I also like the Nike one where Roethlisberger, Pujols, Rivera, Hunter, Urlacher, and Tomlinson are wearing masks.

Umm, who is the player you hate the most in any sport? If not hate, but strongly dislike. You want to beat the shit out of this guy like he's Joe Buck or something.

Hines Ward. I am a Bengals fan so I am biased, but if he is such a tough player, why does he get PF's for late hits and cheap shots, and why does he feel the need to mock the other team with his celebrations?

Since I watched those youTube highlights; stiffer penalties for fighting now in the NHL, good or bad for the sport? Should MLB enact the same rules (No leaving the bench)?

Bad for the sport. They fuck up their scheduling to build "more intense, emotional" rivalries, and then jack up the penalties and fines when players get intense and emotional and throw down the gloves? It's like legalizing face mask penalties in football and then instituting a $1000 fine when you break somebody's neck by wrestling them down by the skull.

On the face mask note, should baseball and hockey players be required to wear full face masks along with their helmets in light of the injuries to Encarnacion (whose career is probably done) as well as several high-profile players in hockey getting pucks to the face (Yzerman and Sundin recently, and there's an article about the first black player in the NHL who's 95% blind in his right eye thanks to a slapshot he took when he was younger)? Sure it pussifies the game a little bit, but fuck if I'm going out there with what amounts to a flying rock going 100+ MPH and wearing a cheap helmet with no facial protection at all.

I don't think they should have so much protection, because these are just freak accidents. Encarnacion could easily have been a fan, should they wear face masks as well? (That was rhetorical, not the next question.)

What's the best game you have ever attended live?

Guest Smues

For overall crowd excitement oddly enough it's probably a Spokane Shock playoff game. They got crushed in the 1st half, came back in the 2nd, and scored the winning touchdown with just a few seconds left on the clock. The crowd was crazy for that game.

But if we're just talking about great solid games, I'd say the entire 3 game series between the Braves & the Mariners in 2003. Great baseball all around and I can't even pick one of the games over the others, other than the 2nd one just because the Braves won that one.

Next question: If tuck rule play doesn't happen and the Raiders win that game, but everything after that continues the same (so the Pats miss the post season in 2002 and then dominate the world every season afterwards) does it take longer for 'everybody' to hate the Patriots or does it happen at about the same pace it did?

Next question: If tuck rule play doesn't happen and the Raiders win that game, but everything after that continues the same (so the Pats miss the post season in 2002 and then dominate the world every season afterwards) does it take longer for 'everybody' to hate the Patriots or does it happen at about the same pace it did?

Same pace. I don't think people hate the Patriots because they won multiple titles. They hate players like Harrison for being dirty and "getting no respect," Brady for being a trash-talking pretty boy, Belichick b/c he's the biggest prick in the game and because most Pats fans are obnoxious, arrogant and ignorant.

Q) When will the AFC East be competitive again?

My instinct for centre field was Ken Griffey as well; Just imagine if he had been healthy - I think I was too young to appreciate just how much talent he actually had.

For Cena's question, Albert Belle was the first that came into my head, but there's surely players I hate more; I hate Bobby Clarke as an exec more than a player (though he's hardly off the hook as a player). Jeter's one of those guys I dislike but don't know why; Give us all a few days with this one.

Finally, the hockey one: Bad for the sport, but for different reasons than already listed. There's a difference between, and I don't mean this as to be condescending to the person who asked it, between punishment for fighting and punishment for say, a Steve Downie or Marty McSorley - I think those get lumped together a little too often. A third-period hockey fight has an appeal, a finalization, and a little bad blood to follow up for the next game. An absence of, or a call to end fighting is naive, especially in a physical, intense, proud sport like hockey. We'll see a rise in Todd Bertuzzi incidents if fighting is discouraged.

I don't think they should have so much protection, because these are just freak accidents. Encarnacion could easily have been a fan, should they wear face masks as well? (That was rhetorical, not the next question.)

In hockey, a puck did hit a fan in the face, and it ended up killing her; that's why they have those huge nets coming from the ceiling to protect the fans in the goal ends of the rink. The odds are miniscule of fan death, I admit, but hockey and baseball are two sports that have lethal projectiles flying about on a regular basis, and both happen to be sports that seriously cannot afford metaphorical black eyes thanks to the literal shattered orbital bones coming from getting pegged in the face with one of those things. (Besides, it'll cut down on hockey fights in a bloody hurry if you've got a metal fence between your fist and your opponent's face)

Players I dislike: Derek Jeter. He just comes off as this smarmy douche to me, and he's the Ultimate Yankee. More like the "Holy shit, how did they not trade this guy for a bunch of 35-year-old players with big arms/bats like they did the rest of their minor league talent?" Miracle Yankee, because I think I'd like him more if he wasn't on the team he's on. I don't like Clemens or A-Rod, as I've chronicled in the thread that involved discussion of their contracts. Not a huge fan of Tom Brady, I think he's a product of the system who has good decision making skills but average arm strength and accuracy that's obscured from view by the fact that he has all day to choose between at least 4 Pro Bowl caliber targets as well as 2 good running backs, and a solid defense that doesn't put them in positions where they have large margins to make up and he has to carry the team for prolonged periods of time.

AFC East competitiveness depends on what you define as "competitive". I think they've got a shot at a wild card playoff team in 2008 and 2009, but as far as "Can anybody other than the Patriots win the division" being the definition of competitive, it really depends on who stays and who retires on that defense. Seau hung it up and came back to New England for the Super Bowl ring, and if he gets it I don't see him continuing to play beyond 2008 (assuming he comes back at all).

Question: Would you ever leave early from a sporting event; and if so, and if your team were to make a remarkable comeback, how much effort would you put in to get back in the arena?

Question: Would you ever leave early from a sporting event; and if so, and if your team were to make a remarkable comeback, how much effort would you put in to get back in the arena?

The only reason I'd leave an event early is for practical purposes, usually that I live 2-3 hours from the stadium. In that instance, no I wouldn't make an effort to go back. Besides, the score usually is not the reason I leave.

I'll let the question carry.

Guest Warriorfan
Who is the greatest coach ever that never won a championship?

Jerry Sloan of The Utah Jazz. The same system for so many years and yet it still works. That shot from Jordan must play out in his dreams all the time.

Who is the best pound for pound fighter ever?

I have to say Tyson, but there are several options for the question. Tyson obliterated everybody he fought, and before Cus D'Amato's death he was an absolute student of the game, able to rattle off several statistics on his opponent in the post-fight interview after introducing said opponent's brain to the entirety of the inside of their skull.

I will most certainly second the Jerry Sloan response.

I've already got a question being carried over, so I'll let the previous two carry as well.

EDIT: Actually, just stumbled across a question.

If Halls of Fame can vote someone out for their off-the-field discrepancies (Rose and Shoeless Joe out for gambling, and Benoit being in a recall vote for the WON Hall of Fame this year), cannot a Hall of Fame vote someone IN for their off-the-field achievements (charitable works, creating foundations/scholarships, etc.)? If one of those borderline ballplayers were to start up a foundation for some sick kids and raise millions of dollars for their care, could that give him a push into the Hall of Fame, and should it?

I don't think they should, but if someone is not going to vote for someone for whatever they did off the field, then I do think someone should go in for charity work like that. Seems like the only fair thing to do, and list it proudly in their accomplishments.

When talking with my father, he doesn't consider Brady nor Manning the #1 QB in the league. He likes them both, but thinks #1 belongs to someone who can have success under so many different situations, as bringing in new coaches, different systems, going to a whole different team, etc. So his #1 QB is Jeff Garcia, and Kurt Warner will always be around there for this.

My question is that should it really go that deep when picking this? Brady, Manning not #1 just because they have the same stability in the system, and their coaches? Is the undersized journeyman really the #1 QB in the league?

Yeah, jumbled mess of a few questions I tried to make into one... so have at it.

If Halls of Fame can vote someone out for their off-the-field discrepancies (Rose and Shoeless Joe out for gambling, and Benoit being in a recall vote for the WON Hall of Fame this year), cannot a Hall of Fame vote someone IN for their off-the-field achievements (charitable works, creating foundations/scholarships, etc.)? If one of those borderline ballplayers were to start up a foundation for some sick kids and raise millions of dollars for their care, could that give him a push into the Hall of Fame, and should it?

Chris Benoit is a unique situation. Joe Jackson and Pete Rose are out because their off-the-field actions prohibit them from setting foot on a Major League ballfield. Whether you agree or disagree with their punishments, you can't bar a player from the game but yet give them your highest honor.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
My question is that should it really go that deep when picking this? Brady, Manning not #1 just because they have the same stability in the system, and their coaches? Is the undersized journeyman really the #1 QB in the league?

No. Your dad's a retard. Does he consider Jeff Garcia better than Marino? Montana? Unitas? Favre? Franchise QB means exactly that.

What was Rollie Fingers' finest moment on the field?

What was Rollie Fingers' finest moment on the field?

I'd go with game seven of the 1972 World Series. In Cincinnati, Fingers enters the game with runners on second and third, none out, 8th inning. A's lead 3-1 so the runner on second is the tying run. Fingers escapes hanging on to a 3-2 lead (one run scored on a sac fly), and then retires the Reds in the ninth for the win. A two-inning save to give the A's their first World championship in 42 years.

Isn't playing professional sports in sub-zero weather kind of stupid?

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Even if he did, he'll always be associated with football in whatever cameo or acting gig he secures after football.

He'll end up a coach somewhere, no question.

Is there a worse active NFL head coach than Norv Turner? Either Xs and Os or statistically.