Sign in to follow this  
majormayhem1

Chinese Democracy

Chinese Democracy   

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which year will it come out?

• 2012 or beyond
    • never

Also, the people who say "this album will have to be the best ever to make any money" make me laugh, as though the real creative, best album of the year-type stuff is what makes money. I mean, the last Nickelback album sold 6.5 million in the US alone. The real question is will Chinese Democracy produce any singles that are lightweight and middle-of-the-road enough to cross over onto top 40 radio? That's the only way it will recoup those costs.

I don't get why there's allegedly such hemming and hawing over how to market this album. As Kreese alluded to, unless there's some rock radio-friendly singles, the only real way to promote a new GNR album is to say "hey, at long last here's the GNR album." Play up the "forever in the making" angle. There's no way this album will turn a profit, so they may as well have some fun with it. Axl likely takes himself too seriously for that, however.

It'd be neat if the final product was just a slim 10 tracks and a less than 50-minute length, but, given Rose's ego and the interminable wait for this album and the public's preference of quantity over quality, Chinese Democracy will probably have 15 or 16 songs, with a total running time of 78 minutes.

Guest Cock Ring Warehouse

I'm not saying nobody is allowed to listen to Guns n Roses, I'm just questioning how much tinkering really needs to be done with it. Arrangements, production, engineering, what? Can't they just do a half-assed compression job and call it a day like all the other major-label modern rock albums? What can possibly need to be fine-tuned, as it were, at this juncture? This whole project is a mystery to me. The whole mystique of the band itself is a mystery to me too, but that's not for this, one of many Chinese Democracy threads.

The mystique is easily explainable. Volatile frontman for a band that was once one of the biggest rock bands around basically becomes a recluse—people love crazy—takes an eternity to make a new album, occasionally punctuating the silence with a new song or some live shows or talk of "this year will really be the year, I swear," just to keep up public interest and speculation. It's fascinating.

Well, we get it Czech. You don't like Guns N' Roses, and you think of them as just another hair-metal band, and that's fine. But there was a time when they were monumentally popular, and unlike bands like Poison and Warrant that you would view as their contemporaries, they were never reduced to playing the county fair while their new album debuted in the low hundreds on the Billboard chart. They became inactive at a time when they still had a very large fanbase. And Axl Rose, probably one of the top ten biggest stars in music in the early 1990s, completely disappeared. He wasn't seen in public for six years. That's bound to arouse some sort of curiosity. So around the late 90s, you began to see all sorts of "hey, whatever happened to Axl Rose?" articles in the music press because people of that stature usually just don't disappear. Nor is it all that common for a band so popular to have all but one member leave and continue on, especially in a band where the lead singer wasn't the only one with a high profile. The curiosity over the album itself is mainly because of the fact that it's been so long in the making, but I too don't understand why its such a hot topic when half the album is all over the 'net.

I guess I can understand why other people liked them, but it never clicked with me. "Welcome to the Jungle" is just a relief pitcher entrance song to me, I guess, and "November Rain" isn't a good song at all. Obviously, I was too young to appreciate them when they were around, and while yeah, they're always gonna be all over classic rock radio, their back catalogue isn't extensive and revered enough for me to have gotten into them at the same time I got into Zeppelin, Floyd, etc.

I'm no more a fan of this band than Czech. Plus, he was like four when GNR were huge, so of course he is at a loss as to why some people are still interested in this album. He's not in the minority, either; I'm sure there are college kids all across the country that get pumped when "Paradise City" comes up on shuffle at whatever bro-tastic party they're at, but that doesn't mean they care about or even know of Chinese Democracy. You and I have discussed this before, Kreese.

I'm sure if "November Rain" had come out in 1995 and been sung by a group of metrosexuals over a thumping techno beat Czech would be all over it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrosexual

The term originated in an article by Mark Simpson ("Here come the mirror men"[1]) published on November 15, 1994, in The Independent. Simpson wrote:

Metrosexual man, the single young man with a high disposable income, living or working in the city (because that's where all the best shops are), is perhaps the most promising consumer market of the decade. In the Eighties he was only to be found inside fashion magazines such as GQ, in television advertisements for Levis jeans. In the Nineties, he's everywhere and he's going shopping with Mark Sullivan a big, butch aircraft engineer.

I'm sure if "November Rain" had come out in 1995 and been sung by a group of metrosexuals over a thumping techno beat Czech would be all over it.

To whom are you referring? "Metrosexuals over a thumping techno beat"? Who am I? Kotz?

Your posts have always been accompanied by a thumping techno beat in my mind, Czech. You were wearing a thong and manually resetting a giant clock. It made me sweat.

Well, we get it Czech. You don't like Guns N' Roses, and you think of them as just another hair-metal band, and that's fine. But there was a time when they were monumentally popular, and unlike bands like Poison and Warrant that you would view as their contemporaries, they were never reduced to playing the county fair while their new album debuted in the low hundreds on the Billboard chart. They became inactive at a time when they still had a very large fanbase. And Axl Rose, probably one of the top ten biggest stars in music in the early 1990s, completely disappeared. He wasn't seen in public for six years. That's bound to arouse some sort of curiosity. So around the late 90s, you began to see all sorts of "hey, whatever happened to Axl Rose?" articles in the music press because people of that stature usually just don't disappear. Nor is it all that common for a band so popular to have all but one member leave and continue on, especially in a band where the lead singer wasn't the only one with a high profile. The curiosity over the album itself is mainly because of the fact that it's been so long in the making, but I too don't understand why its such a hot topic when half the album is all over the 'net.

You mean they weren't a hairband?

I consider them one of those rock/metal bands that happened to hit big at the time of hair-metal and so they're lumped in with hair-metal despite not being hair metal themselves (major stylistic differences)

Skid Row is another big example of this

To whom are you referring? "Metrosexuals over a thumping techno beat"? Who am I? Kotz?

I was referring to your love of mid-90s dance hits.

I guess I can understand why other people liked them, but it never clicked with me. "Welcome to the Jungle" is just a relief pitcher entrance song to me, I guess, and "November Rain" isn't a good song at all. Obviously, I was too young to appreciate them when they were around, and while yeah, they're always gonna be all over classic rock radio, their back catalogue isn't extensive and revered enough for me to have gotten into them at the same time I got into Zeppelin, Floyd, etc.

You should try listening to their entire catalogue before you dismiss it.

You should try listening to their entire catalogue before you dismiss it.

Other than Appetite for Destruction which is a solid album through and through, the rest is pretty much forgetable except for November Rain. Use Your Illusion should have been one disc instead of two seperate CD's.

Besides, Knocking On Heaven's Door is one of the worst covers ever to be released.