TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JPopStarKami

OAO ECW Thread - January 29, 2008

Official WWE.com preview:

Rumble and tumble

January 29, 2008

Several ECW Superstars took part in Sunday’s Royal Rumble, including WWE Tag Team Champions The Miz and John Morrison, Big Daddy V and CM Punk. Morrison entered at No. 6, with Tommy Dreamer right behind him at 7. Dreamer was eliminated by Batista, while Punk joined the match at No. 12. The Miz stepped in at No. 16, and was eventually pulled over the top rope by Hornswoggle, who was waiting under the ring.

Shelton Benjamin entered at No. 17, and ECW’s “Gold Standard” was quickly eliminated by some Sweet Chin Music by Shawn Michaels. Big Daddy V joined the Rumble at No. 24, looking to make a monstrous impact, but was eventually eliminated by Triple H. Newly crowned ECW Champion Chavo Guerrero drew No. 26, and Elijah Burke was the final ECW Superstar to enter the Rumble at No. 28. Morrison was eliminated by Kane, Chavo eliminated Punk, and Burke was eliminated by Triple H. Former WWE Champion John Cena shockingly entered the Rumble at No. 30, and threw the final ECW Superstar, ECW Champ Chavo Guerrero, over the top ropes. The Champ eventually was victorious, and won an opportunity at a world championship match at WrestleMania.

What’s next for ECW Champion Chavo Guerrero in the Land of the Extreme? How about Shelton Benjamin, who was seemingly unstoppable prior to the Rumble. What’s on the mind of ECW’s Gold Standard now?

Tuesday night’s Best Body Contest turned into a Divas brawl, as Lena stood by Layla’s side when she attacked the winner, Kelly Kelly. Now that it appears Layla has an ally, how will this affect her former best friend, Kelly Kelly?

ECW’s newest Superstar, Kofi Kingston, is ready to take care of any trouble that comes to paradise on Tuesday nights. He earned an Extremely impressive victory in his first ECW appearance. How will this Jamaican Superstar make his Extreme impact?

Find out the answers to all of these questions and more on the next ECW on Sci Fi, broadcast in HDTV, Tuesday at 10/9 CT. Also, be sure to catch ECW in its entirety every week on WWE.com, available from Wednesday to the following Monday afternoon.

So does CM Punk challenge Chavo to a rematch at NWO tonight? I think so.

I wonder if there will be any noticible chance in direction/philosophy with Lagana fired and replaced by Dusty Rhodes. I doubt it as Lagana wouldn't have put the title on Chavo Guerrero, that was obviously a SD! crew call.

Probably have the standard Miz/Morrison tag match, maybe against Hawkins and Ryder in an attempt to give "The Family" more titles.

A Colin Delaney squash - what bigman is left though? I guess Chuck Palumbo could further his heat by squashing the kid. Other than that I think his fifteen minutes might have ran out.

Kofi Kingston needs to be put in the ring with a better jobber. Either get somebody he has worked with in FCW or give him Nunzio.

I expect a Guerrero vs Dreamer match if Punk doesn't call in his rematch tonight.

Would it have been really so bad if Shelton pinned Kane clean? The countout loss makes Shelton look like a coward especially after all those promos about him being the new standard.

And now we get Divas. *yawn*

So umm... I guess the "Gold Standard" isn't above taking a walk, huh?

HELL YES! I love this Colin Delaney kid.

Greatest, and yet gayest pin ever there by Morrison.

Ok, so it wasn't that great, but I got a chuckle out of the hooking the guns thing he did afterwards.

I can't believe that they're actually going this far with Chavo.

I love the guy, but I still can't believe it.

And that was funny as shit with CM Punk right here. :lol:

That was a great ending.

Haha! My brother said the said exact thing about Punk looking like DDL in There Will Be Blood. I thought he looked like the one guy out of the Beastie Boys "Sabotage" video.

I wonder if there will be any noticible chance in direction/philosophy with Lagana fired and replaced by Dusty Rhodes. I doubt it as Lagana wouldn't have put the title on Chavo Guerrero, that was obviously a SD! crew call.

Actually, Dusty would have... possibly. Dusty is always trying to get over a Latin. It's the one demographic he always shoots for.

HELL YES! I love this Colin Delaney kid.

Is delaney gonna be dreamer's protege? I can almost see the backstage skits over the next few weeks with Dreamer showing Colin how to be hardcore and stuff.

Edit: The Heenan quote on the chavo package was awesome..

I really liked last night's show. The past few weeks it seems no storylines have really progressed other than the debut of Kofi and tonight it felt refreashing to see that storylines and feuds and gimmick were actually progressing and moving forward a bit.

Oh and yes, I do like Kofi's in-ring style and tonight his finisher looked great on someone who actually took it correctly.

I'll tell ya this - you sure as hell can tell a difference in the show now that Lagana is gone. Last night was the first show without him since his firing, and it was very noticeable.

I'll tell ya this - you sure as hell can tell a difference in the show now that Lagana is gone. Last night was the first show without him since his firing, and it was very noticeable.

Did you happen to notice anything specific?

Guest LuckyLopez

The show seemed to have the same basic feel ECW has had for awhile. It just wasn't the "Shelton squash, Miz/Morrison match, Colin gets squashed, Chavo/Punk" formula that ran for weeks. But half of that changed last week. Shelton was in the ring with real wrestlers and had a spot with Kane last week so that story theoretically started there and while they could have done another Chavo/Punk rematch it certainly made sense for Chavo as the heel champ to go more along this route. And do we know whether the Colin story progressing was planned for this week or was changed this week? ECW was bound to get off that formula and progress eventually. Could have just been coincidence that first really fresh ECW in awhile came right after Lagana was fired.

The only truly different things I thought I saw were that Dreamer was used as some kind of threat for the first time in a long time and Punk was allowed to show more character than he had in awhile. But Dreamer did return last week to wrestle alongside Miz, Morrison, Benjamin, and Kane.

Did you happen to notice anything specific?

The two biggest angles, Colin Delaney and Punk/Chavo actually had some forward movement. For weeks now it's been the same exact thing. Colin fights a big guy, he gets destroyed. Punk wrestles Chavo or someone else without much "angle" to it. This week the Colin storyline actually went somewhere with Tommy Dreamer coming in to help him, and something actually happened with Punk and Chavo.

Even Shelton and Kane felt different to me than what we've been getting there.

It's no coincidence that these small changes finally took place on the first show without Lagana. It was very much intentional.

I think we're all glad to see ECW progressing this past week. A good foundation has been poured for the next month of shows and I enjoy watching the storylines progress. I thought Benjamin vs. Kane was a good match and Punk and Guerrero's feud gets better each week. The ending of the championship fiesta was great, one of the best guitar shots ever. I don't know about this talk of Punk being buried though. He lost clean to Edge, but Edge is the World Heavyweight Champion. Punk is up and coming right now, so I don't think a loss to Edge really hurts him too bad in the long run. Fear not Punk fans.