TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

College Hoops: February '08

Good game. Duke played very poorly the first half, missing FT's and overall sloppy play. The 2nd half was much better for the Blue Devils.

BC played a great game the 1st half, but fell off and got frustrated the 2nd half.

Yeah boy, U of L put the beating on Georgetown tonight. I kinda figured on a win tonight since G'Town isn't really that great this year, but it's still a win over a top 10 team. U of L's D is up there with the best in the country.

I think that the G'Town game (and Tenn-LSU) proved yesterday that one you get outside of the Top Tier teams (UCLA, Kansas, Memphis, Duke, UNC) the difference between teams 6-32 is very minimal. Which should make for VERY interesting matchups in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament this year.

Georgetown has a big problem come tourney time. Namely this: Where are the points coming from? Cause I really don't see many scoring options on that team.

As much as I'm amused that Purdue is doing well (it at least helps U of L's RPI and makes that Dec. loss look better) what does it say about the Big 10 if this team might win the conference? Is the Big 10 going back to the mid 90s when mediocre Purdue teams were winning the conference and getting beat in the 2nd round?

Of those teams who can really do anything in the tourney though? Wisconsin isn't that good, maybe 2nd round. If Purdue ends up getting overseeded they might be a good candidate for a 1st round upset. I'd like to think IU can do something but they have yet to prove they can beat anyone, though they have chances upcoming vs. MSU, Wisconsin, etc.

Michigan St. is the wild card out of the Big 10. If they get rolling they could be an Elite 8 type team, but if they throw up a clunker outing could also be a 1st round upset.

The Big 10 isn't as bad as the SEC (or even most of the ACC not named UNC and Duke), but I can't see anyone from the conf. going to the FF.

TV Schedule for the Week of 2/11 - 2/17

MONDAY

Villanova at #8 Georgetown, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

#3 Kansas at #11 Texas, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

#25 St. Mary's at Santa Clara, 11:00/8:00 PM, ESPN2

TUESDAY

#10 Michigan State at Purdue, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

#5 North Carolina at Virginia, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN2

Kentucky at #24 Vanderbilt, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

WEDNESDAY

Maryland at #2 Duke, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

St. John's at Cincinnati, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

#18 Kansas State at Texas Tech, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

THURSDAY

N.C. State at Boston College, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

Rutgers at West Virginia, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

Michigan at Iowa, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

Fordham at UMass, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

#7 Stanford at Arizona State, 10:30/7:30 PM, FSN

FRIDAY

#22 Pittsburgh at Marquette, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

SATURDAY

#8 Georgetown at Syracuse, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

Virgina Tech at #5 North Carolina, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, CBS

#23 Louisville at Providence, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, ESPN

Oklahoma State at #16 Texas A&M, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

#7 Stanford at Arizona, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

Arkansas at Mississippi State, 4:00/1:00 PM, ESPN

San Diego State at Utah, 4;00/1:00 PM, Versus

#11 Texas at Baylor, 6:00/3:00 PM, ESPN

Holy Cross at Bucknell, 6:00/3:00 PM, ESPN2

Old Dominion at VCU, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN2

#10 Michigan State at #13 Indiana, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

#21 Washington State at Oregon, 9:00/6:00 PM, FSN

SUNDAY

Ohio State at Michigan, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, CBS

#2 Duke at Wake Forest, 7:30/4:30 PM, FSN

#6 UCLA at USC, 10:00/7:00 PM, FSN

Another shake-up in the Top 5 as Kansas loses at Texas.

Horrible, HORRIBLE ending to Villanova-GTown. Unless the guy gets knocked out of bounds, swallow your damn whistle.

Does anybody have a problem with North Carolina dropping below Tennessee in the Top 5? I know in the grand scheme the rankings do not matter, but even with the Duke loss I cannot believe that UNC is worse (Tennessee put up that stinkbomb against LSU on Saturday).

Eh, both Tenn. and UNC have the same sort of record and TN has a #2 SOS and UNC is #3 in SOS, so it could go either way. Still, Tennessee did lose to UK so I really do wonder about them. I think that should be an "Are you for real?" barometer this year. If you beat UK, you can qualify as being for real....if you lose to them, you aren't.

After that G'Town/Nova game last night I am convinced the Big East is trying every corrupt tactic possible to get the Hoyas to win the conf. and get roughly a 2 seed. This is now the 2nd win they have literally been handed by the refs (the other being the goal tending non call vs. WVU). Watching it live I actually did think it was a foul since the Nova moron bumped Wallace and did in fact lead to him falling out of bounds. Why the hell even get near the guy in that situation? He's 80 feet from the basket. Still...what a lame call to hand G'Town a game.

Oh I agree, that was dumb on the Villanova player for being anywhere close to him.

With the games tonight, can Kentucky be back on the "at-large" barometer with a win tonight at Vanderbilt? A win would put them tied for 2nd with Mississippi State in the SEC, one game behind Tennessee. The HOME losses to Gardner-Webb, UAB and San Diego should make it a simple no, but if they win this game there is a good chance they could go 12-4 in conference play.

Brack Project Update

Most projections are updated thru Sunday and Tennessee right now is projected as the 4th #1 seed.

Last Four In

UNLV

Syracuse

UMass

St. Joseph's

Last Four Out

Oregon

Arizona State

N.C. State

George Mason

Geez, Kentucky got BEAT DOWN by 41 to Vandy.

North Carolina survived Virginia by 1 (without Lawson, but still).

Ah, that was the ultra shitty UK that we know from earlier in the season. I figured they would lose tonight but certainly not in historic fashion. I thought it would be a dull 12 point win for Vandy. They were only favored by 3 1/2.

U of L put an assbeating on DePaul tonight. Providence is next.

The kentucky loss makes me laugh personally since I know a guy at work who left early so he could head to the game.... he's a delusional UK fan who still thinks they have a shot to make the the 65.

Well, it seems that any shot that Kentucky had to make the Tournament at this point is pretty much over, unless they beat UTK and make a run in the SEC Tournament to the finals. And that's assuming that they don't blow the upcoming game to LSU, whose RPI sits at a fat 220. They lose that, they'll need to almost certainly win the tournament.

Oh, make no mistake about it. UK has to win the SEC tourney. There's just no way this team is going to be in line for an at large bid. Losing to anyone by 40 is embarrassing and add that to the losses to Gardner Webb, San Diego, etc.

In more SEC Follies, Florida just lost to LSU.

I think Florida needs to make NIT plans, unless they plan on beating Vanderbilt in Nashville, and Tennessee at home.

Otherwise, Florida may have just eliminated themselves from any at-large bid they thought they had a birthright to.

It sort of serves them right considering the laughable SOS FL has this year. They didn't play anyone out of conf. aside from maybe OSU and FSU and they lost both of those.

Let's also not forget that epic trip to Rupp they have to make to close the season. :rolleyes:

The thing is though about the "last four in" at-large teams, I do not think will look much different than the five or six that just missed out.

Bad losses tonight, Syracuse, Florida, Dayton, Rhode Island, Baylor, Ole Miss

I don't think they have any realistic shot of getting an at-large berth, but Cincinnati has a decent chance of getting 11 wins in the Big East.

Highlight of the night for me was the IU cheerleaders trying to push the Wisconsin team off of the logo after the game.

Kelvin Sampson's status as coach of Indiana's basketball team apparently will be decided on a game-by-game basis.

Discussions about whether Sampson would coach Wednesday night's game against Wisconsin went on as late as the afternoon preceding the game, according to a source close to the situation.

A source told #SPN.com that there is an air of uncertainty on the staff regarding Sampson's status and whether he'll finish out the season. Sampson met with his coaches Tuesday into the night and again on Wednesday.

Indiana (No. 12 ESPN/USA Today, No. 13 AP) could choose to suspend Sampson from coaching games while it figures out its options without having to fire him. The Hoosiers have home games Saturday against Michigan State and Tuesday against Purdue.

Another source said Thursday that a buyout of Sampsons contract could be considered, as well. Sampson doesn't plan on resigning because it could be too much of a financial loss, and he would prefer to coach the Hoosiers this season, a source said.

Larry MacIntyre, the assistant vice president for university communications, said IU president Michael McRobbie has met with the school's legal counsel, the board of trustees and athletic director Rick Greenspan.

McRobbie has been on the job since July 1. Adam Herbert was the president who hired Sampson in March 2006.

MacIntyre said there are no plans for a news conference Thursday or Friday, but he said he's "not going on vacation" and is prepared to quickly organize one if needed.

Indiana is reviewing all of its legal options to avoid a lawsuit similar to what Ohio State went through with former men's basketball coach Jim O'Brien, ESPN.com has learned. O'Brien sued the school when he was fired before the NCAA had ruled on his case. O'Brien eventually won the lawsuit against Ohio State.

Sampson could have a similar situation if he is terminated for cause prior to the NCAA officially ruling on a violation. Indiana has 90 days to respond to the enforcement staff's notice of allegations. A hearing in front of the committee on infractions won't occur until June, and a decision usually takes anywhere from a few weeks to a few months before it's rendered.

Indiana is unlikely to wait that long to resolve Sampson's status.

After the two home games, the Hoosiers face Northwestern Feb. 23 in Evanston, Ill., and host Ohio State on Feb. 26.

Andy Katz is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Bye bye Sampson.

But I don't blame him for the phone calls cause even

I WANNA TALK TO SAMPSON!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-8v6Em3ib0