TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

College Hoops: February '08

Today's big games:

Gerogetown (20-3) @ Syracuse (16-9) - Syracuse really needs this win to stay alive for an at-large berth. The loss at South Florida last week put them on thin ice. Georgetown basically is playing to solidfy a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Virginia Tech (14-10) @ North Carolina (23-2) - VTech is 5-5 in the ACC right now. The committee says it never looks at conference records, but thats bull. A road win put VTech back in the minds of people as an at-large team. That said, I don't think they are deep enough.

Clemson (18-6) @ NC State (15-9) - Clemson needs to start winning some games on the road in the ACC, in typical Clemson fashion they have started their annual January slide after a "strong" start.

Florida (19-6) @ Vanderbilt (21-4) - Winning at Vanderbilt would be great on any teams resume, as Vandy seems like a Top 10 team in the country at home, Top 40 team everywhere else.

Stanford (20-4) @ Arizona (16-8) - Stanford needs this one to stay one game back of UCLA after their loss at Arizona State Thursday night, Arizona needs this one badly too, as they have a tough stretch of five games coming up.

Arkansas (17-6) @ Mississippi State (16-7) - Both teams are playing well right now, this game is for 2nd place in the SEC. Mississippi State put a 20 point beat down on Arkansas earlier this year.

Oklahoma (16-8) @ Texas Tech (13-10) - Oklahoma is on most teams radar's as far as an at-large bid, but both of these teams are 4-5 in conference play right now. While the schedule gets a little easier, Oklahoma would be in a lot better shape winning this game today.

California (14-9) @ Arizona State (16-7) - Will the Pac-10 get 5, 6 or 7 bids to the NCAA tournament? This game may go a long way towards deciding that. Arizona State, fresh off an upset of No.7 Stanford Thursday night must "hold serve" now. For Cal, this would be a big win on the road in conference play, and pretty much every road win in the Pac -10 is big.

Texas (20-4) @ Baylor (17-6) - While Baylor has come back down to Earth since they have entered Big 12 play, a win today would put them in great shape for an at-large bid. Texas has a lot to gain this week if they can follow up their home win against Kansas by beating a good team on the road.

Oral Roberts (18-5) @ IUPUI (20-5) - The two best teams in the Summit League go at it. While first place is not on the line here, a road win by Oral Roberts may enhance the prospect of two Summit League teams getting into the NCAA tournament. Oral Roberts will have to figure out a way to stop George Hill, who leads IUPUI in points, rebounds and assists.

Memphis (24-0) @ UAB (17-7) - In what might be Memphis's toughest test in conference, they travel to Birmingham tonight. While I think Houston is a better team, UAB hosting this game may give Memphis a tougher challenge.

Michigan State (20-4) @ Indiana (20-4) - The Kelvin Sampson drama will overshadow it, but as the Wisconsin-Indiana game proved, this should be one hell of a game. I think DJ White will lift the whole team on his back and carry the Hoosiers to victory.

UNLV (19-5) @ BYU (19-5) - The two best Mountain West teams square off here. BYU has to be favored since they have won 45 straight games at home, but lost by 29 points in Las Vegas earlier this year.

Washington State (19-5) @ Oregon (15-9) - Oregon needs win to stay on the radar, Washington State needs the win to enhance its profile, as they have struggled in Pac-10 play.

Ugh, I am an A-10 homer, admittingly, but thats what frustrates me at Big East perception. Under Syracuse's profile:

Key Wins: Villanova

Key Losses: Rhode Island, UMass, South Florida

Now, two of those four teams have a chance to make the NCAA Tournament, and neither one of them is Villanova.

Are the URI and UMass loss bad because they are also bubble teams? If so, why are they lumped with South Florida? Anyway, big win by the Orange.

*phew* Stanford survives in Tucson, avoiding a second straight late game choke job with the help of a gift call on Brook Lopez that led to the winning free throws but as usual through out the game the Pac-10 officials were awful on both sides.

UAB was up 7 with about 2 minutes left and choked it away, at least that is what I got from the highlights. The sad part is this is probably Memphis' best road win. How has Memphis managed to get any top teams to play them on either a neutral site or in Memphis?

U of L now 10-3 in the Big East. I think it's really down to U of L, ND, and UConn as far as being teams who are threats. G'Town has been bullshit all year, getting by in ultra close fashion with possible crooked officiating.

Also, it now looks like it will be Memphis vs. Tennessee this coming week in a 1 vs. 2 matchup. I thought Duke would be #2 and it would end up as 1 vs. 3, so in that respect it is cool that Duke lost tonight.

TV Schedule for the Week of 2/18 - 2/24

MONDAY

#12 Georgetown at Providence, 4:00/1:00 PM, ESPN2

Syracuse at #18 Louisville, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

#22 Texas A&M at #7 Texas, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

Gonzaga at San Diego, 11:00/8:00 PM, ESPN2

TUESDAY

#14 Purdue at #15 Indiana, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

UNC-Greensboro at Davidson, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

Georgia at Kentucky, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

WEDNESDAY

#3 North Carolina at N.C. State, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

#25 Marquette at St. John's, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

#24 Kansas State at Nebraska, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

THURSDAY

Pittsburgh at #21 Notre Dame, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

Massachusetts at Rhode Island, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

Michigan at Minnesota, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

Oregon at USC, 11:00/8:00 pm, FSN

FRIDAY

Davidson at Winthrop, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

SATURDAY

VCU at Akron, 11:00/8:00 AM, ESPN2

#13 Connecticut at Villanova, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

George Mason at Ohio, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, ESPN2

Arkansas at Kentucky, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, CBS*

Navy at Army, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, CBS*

Iowa at #19 Michigan State, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, ESPN

Creighton at Oral Roberts, 3:00 PM/Noon, ESPN2

Oklahoma at #7 Texas, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

Oregon at #6 UCLA, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

#4 Kansas at Oklahoma State, 4:00/1:00 PM, CBS*

St. John's at #5 Duke, 4:00/1:00 PM, CBS*

#16 Drake at #8 Butler, 5:00/2:00 PM, ESPN2

Arizona State at Washington, 6:00/3:00 PM, FSN

#2 Tennessee at #1 Memphis, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

Arizona at #17 Washington State, 10:00/7:00 PM, FSN

Kent State at #23 St. Mary's, 11:59/8:59 PM, ESPN2

SUNDAY

Syracuse at #21 Notre Dame, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, CBS*

Alabama at Auburn, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, CBS*

#11 Wisconsin at Ohio State, 4:00 PM/1:00 PM, CBS

N.C. State at Virginia, 4:30/1:30 PM, FSN

Wake Forest at #3 North Carolina, 6:30/3:30 PM, FSN

California at #9 Stanford, 9:00/6:00 PM, FSN

OJ Mayo lost the game last night all by himself. At this point, I just want him to go away. He's probably the most over-hyped and overrated college basketball player I've ever seen. He's a goddamn turnover machine, he can't shoot a college 3...just go away.

Memphis getting all their teams at home is how the contracts worked out. Last year they played Tennessee, Arizona and Gonzaga on the road, this year it's at Memphis. Next year's game against Georgetown will be at Georgetown.

I can't say with any conviction that Duke will get that #1 seed and get the usual Carolina bracket in the tourney. If UNC can ever get healthy then they are certainly a better team than Duke in my opinion.

Is it just me or is Tennessee possibly the weakest, most flawed team ever to be ranked this high so late in the season? The #2 team in the nation lost to the single worst UK team I've seen since the probation year of 1990. Hell, they barely scraped by WKU earlier this year.

I hope U of L ends up as a 4 seed or so in Tennessee's bracket (if they get a 1). I think we could beat the piss out of them.

I'll give Purdue this much: The Boilermakers are a very young team and next year might be ready to make some serious noise. I feel similarly about UConn...this isn't quite their year, but next year they will be very dangerous.

Does anyone know a website that has all sorts of college basketball stats? I'd like to see stats for various teams that won the national titles or made the FF, but I can't seem to find this stuff easily.

Always nice to see Duke go down. At this point I think Duke is a perennial cocktease...always highly ranked, never going past the Sweet 16.

I'd be more excited about this Memphis/TN game on Sat. if I thought either of those teams would even sniff the Final 4. Man, I don't think Duke, Memphis, or Tennessee will make the FF. Oddly enough the Vols were one of my preseason FF picks, but they lost to UK.

Its funny how split the Indiana faithful are right now. Some are mad at the players for missing practice, some are mad at the AD for hiring Sampson, and some are mad at espn.com for utilizing the the Freedom of Information Act in Indiana Law that enabled them to see the letter outlining the violations.

It's look very likely that the Cornell Big Red are going to win the Ivy League and make the NCAA tournament for the first time in 20 years. If they beat Brown tonight, it's pretty much a done-deal.

I will have the added bonus of cheering for both of my alma maters in the tournament this year... one to win it all and the other to make it out of the first round.