TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

The TSM 2008 NFL Mock Draft

According to most draft experts, yes. All I know is that every bungled pick here brings my mock team one step closer to drafting the player who will lead us to mock glory.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Picks and draft order are now on the first page. Anyone who can't figure this out is probably a retard.

I blame Banky.

With the 9th pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select:

post-2806-1203272265_thumb.jpg

Ryan Clady/OT/Boise State

The Bengals were shocked to see 4 DLinemen off of the board after the first eight. They would have loved to snag Dorsey, Ellis, Long or Gholston. While Derrick Harvey and Keith Rivers were available, the Bengals chose to go best player available. Willie Anderson onlt played 5 games last year, so the Bengals are looking to re-build their O-Line which struggled last year with Anderson's injury and Eric Steinbach going to Cleveland.

The Saints select:

ncf_a_talib_300.jpg

Aqib Talib.

The Saints sucked ass at making plays in the secondary. They only had 13 INTs, 28th in the league. I was thinking of going with Harvey here since Grant hasn't done much the past few years, which would help their pass rush and therefore help their corners but Talib will help them make some plays. He had 11 INTs the last two years, and played some WR so those times he played wideout will help him cover some WRs in the NFL. He's also an All-American.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Everybody bury Vampiro69 in pms. My pm function isn't working for some reason.

i didn't know we were doing it this quickly. i thought around draft time.

i'd have taken ellis than mcfadden.

but

i select

dt kentwan balmer from north carolina

obviously the raiders biggest need. if i hadn't had my head up my ass i'd have selected sedric ellis.

Can I pick? Screw it, it's been over 30 hours, I'm picking.

Denver Broncos select DeSean Jackson, WR, Cal.

For the first time in a while, the Broncos are lacking at receiver, with Javon Walker often hurt and wanting a trade, Rod Smith reaching the end of the line, and only Brandon Marshall being a consistent possession receiver. Jackson gives them the kind of deep threat they need to keep opponents from stacking against the run, and should eventually become a favourite of Jay Cutler. He also is a very dangerous punt returner, and figures to contribute on special teams.

It's been 30 hours and 21 minutes, I'm picking too.

Carolina selects Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma.

Carolina needs a definitive #2 behind Steve Smith and Kelly brings everything a GM could want in a receiver. With Moore developing into a respectable backup and Delhomme coming back from injury, Williams and Foster balancing the run game with Goings a solid third man, the O-Line relatively solid barring the loss of Wahle...seems to be the best choice.

I considered Mendenhall for his power running, Branden Albert to fill the hole left by Wahle, and Keith Rivers out of USC to help solidify the linebacking corps that loses Dan "Oh god my head" Morgan.

With the 11th pick in the draft the Buffalo Bills select

Rivers.jpg

Outside linebacker Keith Rivers from USC

Although they have Paul Posluszny, they need someone to step up on the weakside. I think he fills the need very well. I thought about selecting a DT, but to much money and picks have been spent in this area.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

With the 14th pick in the 2008 disorganized TSM NFL Mock Draft, the Fake Chicago Bears select:

Matt Ryan: QB, Boston College

Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, Chicago takes advantage of the miraculous slide Ryan has taken in the draft.

He's big, he's young, he's strong, and he's accurate. That's four things the Bears haven't had at QB, well..ever.

Ryan threw for an astounding 4500+ yards his senior year, and is most certainly the best QB in the draft. With Grossman being the worst starting quarterback in the league, Griese being administratively blackballed, and Orton being average at best, QB is clearly the most glaring team need. Ryan is better than the Bears could ever hope for at their position in the draft.

Had the prior teams not been dumbshits, I probably would've gone with Mendenhall, hoping that Joe Flacco would still be available in round 2.

With the 15th pick, the Detroit Lions take

351698.jpg

Dan Connor, ILB, Penn St.

It's pretty ridiculous that a 7-9 team has as many holes as they do, but hey, that's the Lions for ya. Apparently Paris Lenon is moving to the strong side, leaving only the oft-injured, underachieving Teddy Lehman (who may not even be on the team come next season), and pretty much no one else at MLB. The Lions D was beyond dreadful last season; they need as many as 5 new starters on that side of the ball alone. Connor seems to be a bit more athletic than former teammate Posluszny, definitely has a nose for the ball, and can also play on the outside if needed. Him and Ernie Sims would make for a great young LB combo. I strongly considered corner, but I feel good about the depth at that position to wait a round. I also looked at OT and RB.

The Arizona Cardinals pickup, Cornerback from South Floriday, Mike Jenkins

Jenkins, (6'0", 200, 4.49) has suited up for 38 games starting in 28 of them during his first three seasons (2004-'06) and recording 92 total tackles, two tackles for loss, three interceptions, and 29 passes defended. He is fast, athletic and big enough to emerge into a quality starter but his footwork and ability to defend the run need work. His off-the-field incident this off-season might be a red flag, but I think he is worth teh risk

With the 17th pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select

Derrick Harvey, Defensive end, Florida.

derrick_harvey.jpg

This team's greatest need is a pass rusher. On defense, they ranked 2nd against the run, but 23rd against the pass.[1] Even worse, they were 28th in adjusted sack rate.[2] (Although, it was an improvement from being 31st in 2006.)[3] The Vikings' sack leaders (Kenechi Udezi, Ray Edwards, and SLB Ben Leber) each had only 5 sacks—good for a tie for 54th place in the NFL.[4] Udezi, who is the most talented DE on the team, has leukemia,[5] and so he is unlikely to play this season, if ever again. Harvey "should make an immediate impact rushing the passer."[6]

It seems like the Vikings have been looking for a pass rusher forever. Didn't they draft Udeze and Erasmus James in Round 1? It seems to me that they should take a shot on a free agent DE...sure, they might have to break the bank, but at least they'll get a proven player instead of someone that may or may not ever adjust to the NFL.

I like the idea of the Vikes taking a defensive end. Nice pick right there, although if the amazing slide of Matt Ryan would have continued, he would have been a great selection.

I liked the Zona pick as well. Rolle is reportedly moving to safety, and they need DB help. Another choice would have been taking either Mendenhall or Stewart. The last few picks made have been outstanding.

577015.jpeg

Jeff Otah

Height: 6-6 | Weight: 340

OL / Pittsburgh

Strengths:

Has outstanding size with a huge frame and long arms...Great athlete with terrific quickness...Very light on his feet...Extremely strong and powerful...Is physical and aggressive...Mobile with nice range...Has a good initial punch..Shows the ability to recover when beat...Offers some versatility...Still improving and has major upside.

Weaknesses:

Very raw and might be a bit of a project...Has some trouble with quickness...Hand use is sub par...Does not always play with proper leverage...He needs to work on getting in better shape...Work ethic and desire have been questioned...Has some trouble with power...Only has two years of experience against top DI competition.

It was a tough choice in going for an O-Lineman or for a Safety. With the ever growing need for a running game to get started in Houston in order to protect the QB, the thought of picking up someone on the OL became more clear. Put him on the left side, which has been an area of concern for the Texans since Boselli's injury/retirement and the number of sacks should go down.

With the 19th pick the Eagles select

Kenny Phillips, S, Miami

Once Harvey came off the board, the choice in my mind came down to two players that had disappointing years in Miami: Phillips and Calais Campbell. Phillips allows Brian Dawkins to move to SS where he is not as big of a liability in coverage now that he has lost a step.

Other options included the above mentioned Campbell, Phillip Merling, a dream pick of Mendenhall (a Westbrook-Mendenhall backfield would be sick), and the one weapon I was almost willing to take in the monster James Hardy. I know it would be too early for Hardy, but he would not be there in the second round and I really like him.

With the 20th pick in the 2008 draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan.

I also considered Early Doucet and Jonathan Stewart with this pick. The Bucs desperately need playmakers on offense to take some of the pressure off of their defense. Manningham can complement, learn under, and eventually replace Joey Galloway.

It seems like the Vikings have been looking for a pass rusher forever. Didn't they draft Udeze and Erasmus James in Round 1? It seems to me that they should take a shot on a free agent DE...sure, they might have to break the bank, but at least they'll get a proven player instead of someone that may or may not ever adjust to the NFL.

That and a WR. Bobby Wade just ain't gonna cut it.

The way this thing is going so far, there's gonna be quite a few steals early on.

Didn't they draft Udeze and Erasmus James in Round 1?

Yes. Udeze has leukemia (see above), and James's left knee is a mess.[1]

It seems to me that they should take a shot on a free agent DE...sure, they might have to break the bank, but at least they'll get a proven player instead of someone that may or may not ever adjust to the NFL.

Jared Allen[2] and Terrell Suggs[3] were franchised. Justin Smith is the biggest name out there,[4] and he had only 2 sacks in 16 games in 2007.[5] Harvey has been described as having "virtually limitless potential as a pass rusher."[6]

That and a WR. Bobby Wade just ain't gonna cut it.

Sidney Rice "is going to develop into one of the great pass receivers in the NFL."[7]