Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

The TSM 2008 NFL Mock Draft

577015.jpeg

Jeff Otah

Height: 6-6 | Weight: 340

OL / Pittsburgh

Strengths:

Has outstanding size with a huge frame and long arms...Great athlete with terrific quickness...Very light on his feet...Extremely strong and powerful...Is physical and aggressive...Mobile with nice range...Has a good initial punch..Shows the ability to recover when beat...Offers some versatility...Still improving and has major upside.

Weaknesses:

Very raw and might be a bit of a project...Has some trouble with quickness...Hand use is sub par...Does not always play with proper leverage...He needs to work on getting in better shape...Work ethic and desire have been questioned...Has some trouble with power...Only has two years of experience against top DI competition.

It was a tough choice in going for an O-Lineman or for a Safety. With the ever growing need for a running game to get started in Houston in order to protect the QB, the thought of picking up someone on the OL became more clear. Put him on the left side, which has been an area of concern for the Texans since Boselli's injury/retirement and the number of sacks should go down.

BOOOO!! j/k

Really though Otah's got talent but I'm concerned about if he can fit in to the Denver zone blocking scheme Kubiak and Alex Gibbs are going to be installing. Haven't seen much of him, but 6'6" 340 isn't exactly the "smaller, more mobile" OLinemen the style usually calls for. Personally, I'm enamoured with the 2 RBs still on the board for the Texans, but hey, at least with this scenario the gaping hole at tackle the Texans have had since forever is hopefully filled in.

I would have liked the Packers to get him.

Anyways, with the 23rd Pick, the Pittsburgh Steelers select Gosder Cherilus from BC and get their much needed line help.

Gosder Cherilus Offensive Tackle|Senior|Boston College

Height: 6-7 | Weight: 318 | 40-Time: 5.25

Official Bio

Strengths:

Has excellent size and a huge frame with long arms...Strong and powerful..Gets a great push as a run blocker...Decent athlete...Has nimble feet..Mobile and can get to the second level...Very smart with great awareness...Nice balance...He is stout at the point of attack...Once he locks on the battle's over...A hard worker with top intangibles...Has a ton of experience against top-notch competition...Offers some versatility..Hails from a program that's known for producing NFL offensive linemen.

Weaknesses:

Has some trouble with speedy edge rushers...May lack a killer instinct..Has lapses with his leverage and will play too high at times...Most likely won't be a left tackle in the pros...Didn't have a great senior year..Had some minor off-the-field trouble.

Notes:

Name is pronounced "GOZ-der SHARE-uh-luss"...Born in Haiti...A four-year starter in the ACC...Started 37 consecutive games at right tackle but he moved to the left side as a senior and had some struggles...Was arrested and charged with assault and battery in July of 2007 in connection with a bar fight, although Cherilus claims he was acting as a peacemaker...Not flashy but has the physical tools and should start almost immediately..Prototypical right tackle who should enjoy a long career.

I apologize. I didn't have a connection for six days. May I still pick?

Pick now when you can. You're free to jump in any time now, since your time already came. Like Banky who missed his actual pick deadline and made it a few picks later.

With the 22nd pick, the Washington Redskins select Calais Campbell, Defensive End from the University of Miami.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

redbaron51, via PM:

The Tennessee Titans select:

Limas Sweed-WR, Texas

The Seattle Seahawks are ecstatic to select...

oregoncolor21_10-21-2007_G4BQRBI.jpg

Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon

Big productive between the tackles runner who broke secured tackles and finished his runs. Liked his ability to get up in the hole, bounce it outside or see the backside cutoffs. Not a flashy back but I liked his vision and playing instincts. Not elusive, but runs the hole tough. Appeared a little stiff & doesn't have A-1 speed and or burst to run away from 2nd and 3rd level people. Not near Steven Jackson in terms of skills or speed.

Stewart has battled durability issues throughout his career, but he also has shown toughness playing through several injuries. If he can avoid the injury bug at the next level, Stewart has a chance to emerge as one of the premier playmakers at the running back position. He is a compact runner with an outstanding combination of quickness, vision, body control and open-field burst. He also brings versatility to the table with soft hands as a receiver and an outstanding collegiate resume returning kicks. Stewart should be one of the top-four running backs selected in the 2008 NFL draft ? likely in the mid-to-late portion of the first round.

Scouts.com is a bit down on him, but nfldraftcountdown sees him as the 7th best player in the entire draft. Getting that kind of talent this late is a great coup for Seattle, especially when he's a kid that was born and raised in Washington State. He also has good hands, which is important for Seattle's WCO. This is a no-brainer if he's still on the board, and spells the end of Shaun Alexander's tenure in Seattle.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

At least one more. If there's still interest after that, we'll keep going.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

If that's true, that's death on an already undersized WR.

My sleeper guy for WRs is James Hardy from Indiana. Neighborhood of 6'6"/220. Unofficial 40 time around 4.4something

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Adrian Arrington on the other side of the field, and Mike Hart in the backfield are two big reasons why. Lots of opportunities in single coverage.

Sack.jpg

Might be a bit of a reach here, but seeing as there aren't any playmaking wideouts (that I think are good) available, I'll grab Lawrence Jackson, DE, from USC. I know he's going to be a good one, even though it's probably a reach to grab him here.

Sack.jpg

Might be a bit of a reach here, but seeing as there aren't any playmaking wideouts (that I think are good) available, I'll grab Lawrence Jackson, DE, from USC. I know he's going to be a good one, even though it's probably a reach to grab him here.

That's an excellent picture. It looks like they just won the lottery.

San Diego Chargers draft with the 27th pick,

1377054.jpeg

Reggie Smith, DB of Oklahoma.

San Diego needs a safety to shore up what was a pretty shitty secondary outside Antonio Cromartie. I'm not convinced this is the guy, but he's the best rated that was available.

With the 29th pick, the Dallas Cowboys select...

RashardMendenhall_Illinois_.jpg

Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois.

Can't believe he's still on the board. Dallas is looking for a RB to team up with Marion Barber and Mendenhall is a great fit.

San Francisco 49ers select...

496957.jpg

Phillip Merling, Defensive End, Clemson

Everyone has the Niners taking a receiver here but I think there will still be good options at pick #39 and their defensive line might be even weaker than their passing game.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Second round draft order is now posted on the first page of the thread.

I don't recall anyone selecting the Browns. Feel free to point out if that's a mistake.

I'll pick if no one else wants them. That is to say, if you're not already involved and want the Browns, they're yours.

Guest Vitamin X

This late in the draft (especially compared to recent years) is pretty difficult to pick for the Packers, because in my eyes, they could still use some upgrades at a lot of key spots. I really think in real life, they'll probably take Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, but knowing the Pack's luck with their last couple first round picks being DB's (The most recent being the awful, AWFUL Ahmad Carroll, and the Antwan Edwards experiment back in 99- they took three straight cornerbacks with their first three picks that year, probably as a reaction to getting whomped on by the 98 Vikings) the DB pick might be better left off to the 2nd round or so, or even free agency.

So with Corey Williams franchised and Brady Poppinga possibly leaving, I think the best choice is to go and try to bolster the run defense, even if Justin Harrell does pan out. So with the 30th pick in the draft, the Packers will take..

philipwheeler_side.jpg

Phillip Wheeler, LB, Georgia Tech

According to NFL Draft Countdown, Wheeler played the inside in college but most are projecting him to play weakside in the pros, which is exactly where the Packers are going to need him. I was going to take either Dan Connor or even Tavares Gooden here, but Connor timed too slow and might have some character issues, and it was a tougher choice to avoid Gooden, but Wheeler seems more like the Pack's kind of linebacker- Young, athletic, a bit undersized. They employ a fast, blitzing scheme that also involves being good in pass coverage, which Wheeler definitely is, so this works out great.

With the 31st pick, the New York Giants select

WILLIAMS,CHRIS150.JPG

Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt

Most of the mocks I'd seen had the Giants selecting Dan Connor here, but he went off of the board early and none of the other available LB seemed to have unanimous 1st round grades. All of the "lock" first round DB's are all gone as well. With Strahan possibly coming back I figure adding some depth to the offensive line couldn't hurt and given that Long, Clady and Otah are gone as well I think he's probably the next best prospect. If he bulks up a little bit and develops some of the nasty traits that had people calling the Giants' O-Line a bunch of dirty players I think he'll be fine. In all honestly, I think packaging this pick with whatever else Atlanta wants (within reason) for Hall would be their best move.

ROUND 2

With the first pick in second round of the TSM NFL Mock Draft, the Miami Dolphins select John Carlson from Notre Dame.

I like Carlson's all around play, and feel like he could turn into a consistent TE in the NFL within 2 years. He will need to get a little better with blocking to make it to the top tier of TE's, but I expect him to produce decent numbers right away. Miami needs to add a lot to the offense, but Carlson was the star TE for me.

I considered many other options with this selection, at the majority of the positions. It came down to the fact that I could probably take most of the guys I was looking at with Miami's next pick.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Been away for a bit. Let's get the ball rolling again here in the great disorganized mock draft.

Guest Vitamin X

By the way, pick #56 now belongs to the Green Bay Packers, by way of the Corey Williams trade.

Source.

The Browns also traded their 3rd round pick and DB Leigh Bodden to the Lions for DT Shaun Rogers. This probably means we won't need anyone to take over the Browns this year for our mock draft.