TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarleyQuinn

Desert Island Draft Thread

Clayman.jpg

In Flames - Clayman

It's powerful, it's melodic, it's dark clait's aggressive, its angsty yet completely accessible. A textbook example of the Gothenburg sound. Varied melody and vocals; just a fun album.

Clayman.jpg

In Flames - Clayman

It's powerful, it's melodic, it's dark clait's aggressive, its angsty yet completely accessible. A textbook example of the Gothenburg sound. Varied melody and vocals; just a fun album.

Good choice. Haven't heard that CD though, only heard A Sense Of Purpose from them.

Clayman.jpg

In Flames - Clayman

Good choice. Haven't heard that CD though, only heard A Sense Of Purpose from them.

I enjoyed A Sense of Purpose more than I thought I would, as I didn't like their last two albums. As a whole, the In Flames back catalog is all very enjoyable.

genesis%20we%20cant%20dance.jpg

'We Can't Dance' (1991) by Genesis

- I'm probably the only Genesis fan who has this as their favorite album but, for my money, it's the most underrated album they've had. With 3 of their best singles (Jesus He Knows Me, We Can't Dance, No Son Of Mine) and, in general, grittier and less poppy tracks than they had in the 80's, this is Phil Collins Genesis at their best.

Guess that means I'm up.

tom_waitsswordfishtrombones.jpg

"Swordfishtrombones" by Tom Waits

With all the Tom Waits that got taken, I'm surprised this was still up for grabs. Behind "Closing Time" this is my favorite Waits album, and has my favorite song of his, "Soldier's Things." This album is like a cross section of all the things I love about Tom Waits. Great instrumentals, slow folksy numbers, an awesome spoken word bit, it's all represented fantastically on this one. If I wanted to get someone into Tom Waits I'd have them listen to this one. If you can't find at least ONE song on it that you like, you won't like Tom Waits.

I was thinking about that one at my last pick, too. I definitely agree that it's one of the better "hey, you should listen to this guy Tom Waits" picks in his catalog.

The controvery regarding Ravenbomb's latest pick... it's just preposterous. I really wanted Swordfishtrombones for my list as well.

I dunno. I definitely love Tom Waits, but it's pretty downer. I mean, he is often my choice if I'm in a depressed drunk. Which is cathartic, but still sort of a bummer. Might be appropriate for a desert island, as I'm frantically asking "Why is the rum gone?"

Still, I actually enjoy enough of his work that he could be picked heavily and I could still come up with something I'd be satisfied with. I may do that or not, I'm not sure yet.

shit...just got in and way too moosed to make my picks...will have them up in the morning

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Once again, Ravenbomb should stab himself in a dick for taking an album I was going to take. My third favorite Waits, but that's an awfully deep bench. I'll live.

Uhhhh....yeah....moosed....

See...one night here in the Emerald city my friend and I thought it would be a good idea to have some of that weed stuff the kids are all doing these days...then we went to late night happy hour...on the way there my friend made fun of me...so...i told him i was going to throw him in front of a bus...only...bus came out as "moose"...so...now I keep threatening to throw him in front of a moose...made even funnier by the fact that I went to a Mariners game and had a picture taken with the Mariner moose....i then, in turn...sent the pic of me and the moose to him with a message of "Consider this your warning!"...a few weeks later, same situation...I declared that he would some day come walking out of his apartment and all he would here is "Mooooooooooseeee"....cause that is the sound a raging moose makes when it runs you over...

yeah...you had to be there...

so...moose is my new term....way more fun then saying drunk or fucked up...feel free to use it with friends!

Anyway...here are my next two picks...since I am pretty sure Tzar doesn't want either one...

Queen_Jazz.png

Wasn't sure what Queen to go with...but...this one has Fat Bottomed Girls...always a guarantee to get a bar singing along....and Freddie is the man on this disc...especially the chant singing....

and...since I always have to go back to back...

George%20Michael%20-%20Faith.jpg

Just a really good pop album, and a sometimes forgotten 80s HUGE RECORD...Faith, Father Figure, One More Try...just some really good pop music with a great vocal effort...in fact, I think "Faith" was even a #1 R&B hit. Plus...both of these picks are connected...cause George Michael and Dave Grohl have been the only folks to sing Freddie that I liked.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

What if I did want that George Michael record? You'd be fucked.

Luckily, I'm picking something better.

fear_of_music.jpg

Talking Heads-Fear of Music

Highway robbery at this point. I used to really really love Remain in Light, but FoM has overtaken it. Wonderful nervous coked out music.

waitsalice.jpg

Tom Waits-Alice

Looks like I'd better git while the gittin's good with Waits. This is 4th on my Tom Waits depth chart, and the last one I'd consider truly representative of what I love about the guy. Had this been taken, I probably would just have to concede I can't listen to him anymore, and that would've made me sad.

B00006L7XQ.03._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

"American IV - The Man Comes Around" by Johnny Cash

I wanted some Cash, but most of the albums of his I could find that had a lot of stuff I liked was a compilation album. But this one has a lot of stuff I like and I know it's not a compilation. I'd have preferred to find something with "The Man in Black" on it, but this works just fine.

Commish, while I'm waiting on my next pick, I need a ruling: what if it's a soundtrack, but every song on the album was recorded by the same artist?

EDIT - BTW, it's been 48 hours: I think bps should be up next.

Commish, while I'm waiting on my next pick, I need a ruling: what if it's a soundtrack, but every song on the album was recorded by the same artist?

EDIT - BTW, it's been 48 hours: I think bps should be up next.

That's fine to select.

At_The_Gates_Slaughter_Of_The_Soul-[Front]-[www.FreeCovers.net].jpg

At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul

Back in 1995, the Swede metal legends released what would be their final studio album. This album is a blueprint of sorts for the Gothenburg and metalcore genres, both of which i do enjoy. Both of which bite off this album way much, so I'd like to stick with the original.

So... it's my turn? Okay.

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King (1969).

I have to study for an exam that I am taking on Friday, so expect both of my write-ups at some point during the weekend.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

See, I'd never take that one, even though the opener is the best opener ever and the first proto-metal song. Mellotron out the ass on the tail end, and "Moonchild" is gay as shit and way way long.

With my next pick, I select........*Reaches deep into the vault*.........

greatadventurescover.jpg

Slick Rick - The Great Adventures of Slick Rick

If you are a fan of hip hop, you need to listen to this CD. Its a great old school hip hop album from the 80's. Slick Rick is able to take you on a journey through funny tales. There are some damn funny stories on there too. With songs titled "Treat Her Like A Prostitute" and "Lick The Balls", you're guaranteed a good time. "The Ruler's Back", "Children's Story", "Mona Lisa" are some other classics from the CD.

My turn? Cool...

j79663jxy36.jpg

Marvin Gaye - In the Groove

This album would eventually be re-released as I Heard it through the Grapevine after the "title track" became a big hit. But In the Groove was the first release of this album. Interestingly enough, the track that Motown had wanted to be the "official" single of In the Groove (You) is actually my favorite song on the album, and one of my favorites of all time, although Grapevine is up there, too. Lots of other great songs on this album as well, including the under-appreciated Chained.